1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's wrong with this history?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by DQuixote, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

To me it's the opposite. I cannot understand their TOTAL dependence on the Law for their Sabbath-believing while calling themselves Christians! Why does a Christian need the letter-law to tell him the truth of God's Sabbath Day while he has Christ for that purpose. Doesn't Christ suffice - isn't He the Corner Stone -- that replaced the discarded tables of Commandments? Holy and good is the Law of God, declares Paul. You think Paul ever thought of the Law of God as something different from God Himself? Christ is the Law of God; Christ is God's Word. If He and He only is not the full reason, ground and Essence for the People of God's - for the Body of Christ's Own - keeping of the Sabbath Day, then in vain and vanity becomes the letter-law of ten commandments. In fact, so, is the Word of this Covenant, the Ten Commandments, and particularly the Fourth, dishonoured, and stripped of its sole glory, the glory it has handed over to Jesus Christ, and insists Jesus Christ, should have. That Law is apprehended and insulted in the face if we refuse it's honour and dignity be surrendered to Christ. We do not keep or honour the Commandment; we brake and transgress it.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

There certainly is 'salvation in SDA'. I am witness, God be my witness, there is! That's not what it's about though, now.
    More to the point is the fact you mention: "they always lead the issues to Sabbath, and they are very much obsessed with it". It is unavoidable - inevitable. Because these issues invariably have to do with the Church - the whole Church which is the Church of Christ. And when you talk of the Church, you talk of reality, of God's Grace being effective and been worked out in the lives of believers. This is the Church, and what Christ means to the Church and for the Church. It never is I or you, by ourselves; for God in Christ it is always about me and, you -- as the Body that is Christ's, the Church. Always! And that moment, it starts being a matter of Congregation and Community and the Chosen Day of God's for that realisation of His Own. "Therefore remains for the People of God, keeping of the Sabbath Day." It is for the sake of His worship in the Church.

Are we to start over again your mystifying away of the Sabbath Day? Then I have already in this post, answered you fully, and refuted you, fully.

#22 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I beg to differ.

The ECF's of the first century NT church were NOT "Roman Catholic" nor were they "Eastern Orthodox".

This attempt to draw in the NT authors and church leaders - into the RC and EO magesterium is totally bogus!

Rather - as Paul said in Acts 20 "after my departure WOLVES will come in.. men from AMONG YOUR own selves" -- and his instruction to Timothy was to remain at Ephesus to refute and compate the real doctrinal heresy trying to rise up in that local congregation.

It is only in the spirit-of-error "albeit repressed" in the first century NT church that we find "The roots of the RCC" going back that far.

in Christ,

Bob

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So what were the ECFs in your reckoning, Bob? Since you say that they are not RC or EO and since we know that you dislike the former and probably therefore the latter too, does this mean that you regard the ECFs as Proper Christians(TM)?