1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What's Wrong with Younger Pastors'???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Sep 1, 2013.

?
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Yes, but please read my exlanation....

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. No, because my pastor is older [please explain and give age]

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. I've noticed this and heard it from others, but this isn't so at my church!

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. The younger generation of pastors are not as friendly/socialable

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. It makes no difference to me!

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. No opinion....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Here are my thoughts on this question/subject....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. This is more judgemental, and, and it should be kept to oneself!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It's not a drain for me, but our kids are grown, live far away and me and mom enjoy the fellowship with our adopted
    kids. The church service takes much more prep time than the Bible studies, which are more of a question and answer format.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it would be a drain for a young couple raising a family, right?

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I agree. That is why we have deacons. For: "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables." (Acts 6:2)

I have a responsibility as a Christian towards my brothers and sisters, but that is different than the requirements of my office.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Um, its telling us that its really hard to pass out loaves and fishes to 5000 people who are all huddled together to hear Jesus preaching without a sound system?

This is not talking about the church. The churches in the New Testament had well over 50 people...plural eldership (3-5?) along with deacons (another 3-5?_ (as taught in the New Testament), just with their families, would constitute in many cases well over 100 people.

We have no permission given to split the church. As I believe in the Regulative principle, I would have to just say, however many Christians are in a given area, should be meeting together...

5. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate questions/discussions like this that lump everyone in a certain age demographic. The problems being discussed have nothing to do with the mans age.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I think that is somewhat true. This is more a theological difference than an age difference.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Saw this just in time :). I was about to post the same thing. Thanks Bro.

There is nothing wrong with young pastors. There are wrong things about pastors of all ages.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or um, maybe it is telling something else..... perhaps churches need to be smaller & here is a word for ya...."Manageable:)" What da ya think?

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

But he did not have them split up, until it was dinner time. They were all together for the teaching and preaching...

A 5000 member church is manageable, if you have enough elders. But when there is only one pastor, that makes things quite a bit different. Since those who preach the Gospel are "to make their living by the Gospel", 50 people, who are not wealthy, would have a really hard time with that! ESPECIALLY when you factor in children (that would be just a few families).

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for making my point! Personally I dont see any maladjusted lives from my two pastors.....both run smaller churches & do not draw salaries... Both have advanced degrees & one of the guys runs his own construction business. But thats a whole different animal from what your discussing. I will bow out now...... carry on!!!

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

What was your point? That in order to be obedient to scripture, and take a salary as we are commanded (so we can be engaged in ministry full time) that we have to have a larger church?

Bi-vocational ministry is NOT the norm of scripture. Though sometimes necessary, it is not what is commanded .

1Co_9:14 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

Notice that says "commanded" not "suggested"

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Probably. Our ministry is pretty unique. Not too many have the opportunity to work and minister on a college campus and start a church off of that like we do. I'm on campus around 30 hours a week, and my job there puts me in close contact with the students. My wife works there also, so we really have a lot of great opportunities to model Christ.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats wonderful brother.....thanks for sharing. Nice to see His fingerprints on stuff that furthers the Kingdom.

:godisgood:

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By that reasoning, every time I go out proclaiming the gospel, that I should be payed! Hmmmm....perhaps a new career possibility is opening up for me.

does that also mean that my two pastor friends who are doing the work of the Lord for free are getting jyped? I better alert them then.:laugh:

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

So, you deny scripture, then. It says that the Lord COMMANDS it. Do you not take the Lord's commands seriously?

BTW, I though you were done? LOL.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My momma always said .....son, (thats what she called me) ... Son, either you know something or you dont know it, dont guess. I learned that clear enough when I was behind cover & gettin shot at & I asked my partner who was with me if the SOB shooting at us had been eliminated. His response was "I Think So".....:smilewinkgrin: I remember momma & said "Son, you dont know & I aint stickin my fool head out there till you know" Ya get it?:laugh:

Now as to gettin payed for the spreading the Gospel, I get it.....thanks for the tip.:thumbs::godisgood:

I WILL ALERT THE TROOPS!!!

#76 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not about getting paid. Its about being supported in order to put your full attention into gospel proclamation, rather than other pursuits. A person that puts in 40-60 hours supporting his family, cannot possible put the proper amount of preparation into sermons that take 10-15 hours of prep each, public evangelism, prayer with the sick, etc. I understand that sometimes there is no choice, but people that say pastors SHOULD be doing that, are in essence attacking the pastors family, and telling them they are just going to have to suffer....because they will.

18. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

I prefere a small backwoods church where everybody is on a first name basis. Our congregation is only around 35 people. This allows the pastor to be more involved with the people. A large church I wouldn't think a pastor could keep up with everybody. 1 man can only keep up with so many

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine was part of an organization whose aim was to turn around churches and help them become healthy. He told me that before the interim pastor would come to the church they had to agree to do all the visitation and for all leadership to be dissolved. As time went by the pastor selected the leaders as he saw fit. The pastor would not leave until he felt the church was ready for a full time pastor. He said in most cases it worked very well and the church became healthy.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Read Exodus 18:17-27 and notice the advice Moses was given. That is how ministry is done.

Jesus taught to make disciples. In making disciples there is room for more.