1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whats your order of christian identification?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mikey, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quote from John Duncan "I am first a Christian, next a catholic, then a Calvinist, fourth a paedobaptist, and fifth a Presbyterian. I cannot reverse this order."

What would your order be? Does Calvinism/Arminianism/Traditionalism or dispensationalism/covenant theology come before or after being a Baptist?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian Trinitarian Baptist dispensational mugwump

• Like Like x 1
  3. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian, Free Will Baptist, Arminian view point, and what I would call an "Old Time Christian".

I haven't studied covenant theology and dispensationalism enough to add it to my classification.

4. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian trinitarian baptist non-denominational

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian, Baptist, Calvinist, Covenant theology!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian is my faith. Baptist is my sectarian view point, which means the Christian New Testament is the sole Apostalic authority of the genuine Chritian faith in all matters of the faith and practice.

7. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    what do you consider the Old Testament? Unsure what "sole" is referring to, just Apostolic authority or the whole thing. Just because I'm interested :)

8. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting yous have added Trinitarian in the list. I assume therefore yous would not consider Christian to include triniatarian?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct, I saw a report on ROKU that was hard to believe but after remembering some of the things children are being presently taught in children's church/Sunday school, most (it seems) even of Evangelical churches are defective as to Trinitarianism.

The Trinity most taught is modalism (or so it really seems).

Yes several years ago when I took the Senior Sunday School class in my local church many simply repeated what they had heard decades ago as children... "I am a father, a son and a brother" So also God plays the role of Father, sometimes a Son, sometimes the Holy Spirit.

When I teach, I start with the person of God and the Nicean Creed teachings of the Bible.

God is three DISTINCT persons in one DIVINE essence.

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ as Lord of my life first. 1st Baptist is second.
    MB

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Born again persons see God as the Holy Trinity...

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many Christians are practical marcions, as they would petty much just have the OT books gathering dust!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One Being, who has within Himself 3 distinct persons, and you are correct, much of modern Trinitarian theology seems more akin to a modalism view!

14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian, Baptist, "Sovereign Grace / Doctrines of Grace / TULIP", more-or-less Covenant with a dash of Dispensational ( never studied either one, but apparently that is where people who know those systems would tell me I fall ), Trinitarian, AV.

The entire word of God is important, but the New Testament in Christ's blood is the covenant God made with me. :)

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ First, Christian, Old Line Sovereign Grace Baptist, Calvinistic Perspective, The Lord is going to return again and take this unworthy one home... After that, its whatever Gods will and purpose is!... Even so come Lord Jesus!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would your order be? Does Calvinism/Arminianism/Traditionalism or dispensationalism/covenant theology come before or after being a Baptist?

Yes if we follow the road into the body of Christ to find our individual sphere of ministry, we will take several turns away from our siblings in Christ.

1) The first turn might be to accept the bible or see the need to add the insights of past saints.
    2) Next might be whether we believe Jesus is God, such that we believe in the Trinity.
    3) Third could refer to whether we see water baptism as symbolic as a witness before people, or as accomplishing some spiritual requirement of salvation.
    4) If we accept the 1000 year reign of Christ as literal, then we turned onto the dispensationalist parkway, with branches to progressive or traditional, or other flavors.
    5) If we believe God chooses believers in Christ during their lifetime, rather than chose them before creation with or without foreseen faith, we took the middle fork, avoiding both Calvinism and Arminianism.
    6) If we believe the competency of individuals to accept or reject the gospel, the priesthood of believers, and therefore that God uses persuasion rather than compulsion to provide the opportunity for belief in Christ, then we definitely took the non-Calvinist turn-off within the Baptist enclave.

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the above are the doctrines of men. Being a baptist to me has to do with the doctrine of Christ.
    MB

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a devout Christian who currently attends a Southern Baptist Church.

19. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian, fundamentalist, decades of membership in Baptist or baptistic churches, dispensationalist (in the sense that "dispensations" are educational [Gal. 3:24] not salvific, as God knew humankind would always fail), pre-mil, pre-trib.

20. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am a Christian by conversion and I am a Sovereign Grace Landmark Baptist by conviction