1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Big Oil Does Good Things

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by KenH, Jun 18, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Big Oil Does Good Things
    EL DORADO, Ark., June 16, 2008

(CBS) Just like first graders anywhere, the kids in El Dorado, Ark., have started thinking about the big question.

"What do you want to be, Allison, when you grow up?" CBS News correspondent Richard Schlesinger asked.

"Half veterinarian, half artist," Allison said.

But unlike most first graders outside El Dorado, when it comes time to pick a college that teaches half-veterinarians-half-artists, Allison's tuition will be paid for by … the oil company just down the road.

Yes, that's right. Murphy Oil, a Fortune 200 company. Its CEO, Claiborne Deming, decided the kids needed help.

"So I thought, dad-gum it, we need to do something," Deming said.

And dad-gum-it if he didn't find $50 million to make a promise to the people of this small town.

So, every kid who goes through the El Dorado School system and graduates from the high school will be given $6,000 a year for up to five years to help pay for college.

- rest at www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/16/eveningnews/main4185453.shtml

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An oil loving liberal.:laugh:

Never thought I would see such.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

As much as their taking from us they should give to someone, after all it can't all go for multimillion dollar salaries for this guy.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Claiborne is well compensated but nothing like what the top folks get paid at companies like Exxon Mobil, Chevron, et al.

I'm a nobody and I've never had a complaint about what I've been paid for the past thirty years. :)

By the way, here's the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LLQTU1eRUUM

#4 KenH, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

In comparison to the two mites the widow gave in the Bible this is nothing to the oil companies. How can anybody find good in thieves? They are all making it almost impossible to live while they live like royalty. Shame on the greed of big oil!:tonofbricks:

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    $50,000,000 is a pretty big chunk for a company the size of Murphy Oil, even more so when this program was announced in January 2007(when oil was half the price it is now) and with the company having to pay a huge amount of money back then to repair our refinery that was totally flooded outside of New Orleans.

7. Cutter

Cutter New Member

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Murphy Oil is.

And there are lots more charitable contributions that the company makes, including matching made by employees to organizations such as the United Way, March of Dimes, Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, Union County Animal Protection Society(the local private shelter), helping to fund the building of the new conference center for the city, and lots more.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't stop with oil - the greed of so many of our citizens is the "grease" that keeps the congressional pork flowing.

Greed is not limited to big oil by any strech of your imagination.

10. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I am quite aware of that JWP, but the thread is about Big Oil, is it not?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure I would classify Murphy Oil as "Big Oil". More like medium oil considering that the super-major oil companies such as Exxon Mobil are something like 30 times larger than Murphy Oil.