1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Christ said he would build his church, does it really matter if...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Daniel David, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Abraham was God's "petra" according to the story.

Consider what Jesus said to Peter in Mt 16:17 - He said "Blessed art thou Simon bar Jonah: for flesh and blood hath not revealed unto thee..."

He goes on to say, "and I say also unto thee that thou art Peter (petros)..."

He is talking about Peter! We as evangelicals would like to interpret it as Peter's confession or something else but the fact is He was talking about Peter!

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I will just quickly say again that I believe Christ was talking about himself. However, I don't have a problem with the view that states it is Peter. The "confession" is just a cop-out.

3. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Yes... and according to Matthew 1:1 Jesus is the son of Abraham...

4. MTA

MTA New Member

Matthew Poole's commentary (a Spurgeon favorite) has the following to say regarding the "rock" Jesus was referring to in His conversation with Peter. Enjoy!

5. BCrowe

BCrowe New Member

Dr. Scofield's notes state:

"(16:18) There is in the Greek a play upon the words, “thou art Peter [petros—literally ‘a little rock’], and upon this rock [Petra] I will build my church.” He does not promise to build His church upon Peter, but upon Himself, as Peter himself is careful to tell us (1 Pet. 2:4-9)."

Scofield, C. I. The Scofield Study Bible, Mt 16:18. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.

The 1 Peter passage: "4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, 5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. 7 Unto you therefore which believe he is preciousa: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, 8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. 9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiarb people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:"

The Holy Bible : King James Version., 1 Pe 2:4. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1995.

It seems to me that the Scripture answers the question from Peter's own words.