When did regeneration occur?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AdamL, Jan 7, 2018.

1. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be rare, but I'm not one-of-a-kind (although my wife thinks so) Check out the "Boys" www.Theocast.com

2. Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't Romans 4 imply that the Abrahamic Covenant continues?

3. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People can come to church without seeking God fo various reasons. We have had a number of elderly folk coming to our morning service for about a year but they sit and listen through gospel services without showing any response. Then one of of members who is a retired pastor, during his preaching recently he had members giving their testimony. The same member and his wife, invited three of these folk to lunch, and they said they had been interested in these testimonies and hadn't realised that you had to respond to the gospel, even though it is preached every week.

Answering an invitation doesn't make you saved, even though some churches who aught to know better think so.

When I was about a minister said while I was on the way out of the church "How are you with the Lord?" I had no answer as I knew I wasn't saved. I went into a back room with him and prayed, but wasn't saved. I told people I was now a Christian and tried to give up my old practices but that lasted about a fortnight and I went back to my old was and gradually got further and further from the church, then one day, I remembered the words of that man, "How are you with the Lord?" and I remembered Peter when he tried walking to Jesus, and I cried out as peter did, "Lord save me." From that day I knew I was saved.

4. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Most Christians treat Moses as the "father of us all", but Paul gives that title to Abraham.

5. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think so?

I reckoned we all grew up singing "Father Abraham." :)

6. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 32:10-14, God talks about destroying the rest of the Jews and starting over with Moses and his descendants:

Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.

It didn't happen. Moses recalled God's promise:

And Moses besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand? Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.

Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.

And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

7. AnnieL New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can tell you my experience. I was not calling on God for salvation until the Holy Spirit started dealing with me, even then I tried to get away from Him.
    He convicted me of my sin, I saw what a wretched sinner I was before a Holy God and nothing I could about it, at that point I was saved, repentence and the faith was a gift of God. Nothing I did. A man can only tell the gospel. Men can't draw anyone or enable anyone. The Holy Spirit is the one who convicts and draws. Without that conviction no one can be saved. Repentence and belief are two inseparable graces.The scripture says, a Godly sorrow workth repentence. You know when The Holy Spirit is working on you. You know without a doubt when you have been redeemed, you can always go back to that time and place.

8. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You did not give the source for this quote...you know, the commentary.

9. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys related?

10. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? It's Scripture.

Exodus 32:10-14, God talks about destroying the rest of the Jews and starting over with Moses and his descendants:

Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.

It didn't happen. Moses recalled God's promise:

And Moses besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand? Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.

Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.

And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

11. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Huh? A google search indicates something else....

12. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If your a non-calvinist just keep stating this:

This is the statement that needs focus:

"Regeneration is never apart from the means of salvation, which is the gospel message."

That means if someone refuses to hear the gospel he will not regenerate an inch.

He must synergisticly accept to listen to the gospel.

13. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Know that. It is through the foolishness of preaching that men are saved, Your point is pointless.

14. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The point is if you refused to listen how would you ever have the material to remember to say "Lord save me"?

15. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is you don't get the point.

If God calls you, you will respond.
    • John 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
    • John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

16. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sure thing.

Name one person who God called and has never heard of Jesus.

17. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard a preacher make an interesting comment from the pulpit... If a child of God is not regenerated before they are immersed in the baptismal waters... Then they go in a dry devil and come out a wet one!... Brother Glen:)

18. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was God needing paul to permit Him to save paul then?

19. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is still not the point.

It is our job to preach the gospel, then God will draw them to Jesus if they are ones that have been called.

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as the offer to save by God is given to all , and is a legit, but those not to get saved willfully reject it!