1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Did the Church Start?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mnw, Nov 18, 2006.

?
  1. In the Old Testament

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. In the Earthly Ministry of Christ

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. At Pentecost

41 vote(s)
    58.6%
  4. During Paul's Ministry

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. mnw

mnw New Member

Welcome Poimen.

The answer to this is:

1. Christ said "I will build" the context and language make it clear Christ spoke of a future event.
    2. Christ said repeatedly that He would send the Holy Spirit. So the Holy Spirit should be looked upon as, may I say, the method by which Christ started His church.
    3. The repeated references to the coming of the HS, John 17 and Acts 1 all indicate a change in the Holy Spirit's ministry. He would be doing something unknown in the Old Testament era.

Your reference to Psalm 87 I would have to disagree with. I cannot see that this refers to the New Testament church. Where do we make the link between Sion/Zion and the Church?

If the church is a continuation of something in the OT why did Christ not simply say, "I am building" or "I will continue to build..."?

I think the Scriptures mentioned here move into the covenant/dispensational discussion.

I see this as preparation. Over in Ephesians 2:20 it speaks of the apostles and prophets being used of God as a foundation for the church. I believe this simply means the teachings given to them by Christ were the foundation. So, for them to be used to teach others they had to be taught themselves. This, I believe, occured in the earthly ministry of Christ.

Again, this reference seems shaky to me. I don't mean to attack you or your theology, well, maybe your theology... what I am trying to says is I am not looking to be offensive, I just can't see it in this passage.

As for referring to the City of God as the church I do not see that measures up with how the Bible describes it.

But surely that would mean the marriage supper of the Lamb spoken of as future in Revelation would be out of place, would it not?

May I ask if you cast lots as business meetings in your church? I actually think it would be a good system, no arguments, no discussions, just why the lot falls the decision is made! :)

Someone discussed this idea with me a few weeks ago, and it seems to say, with different words and in a round about way, that the church started at Pentecost. Saying it was concieved in Israel or with Christ just seems to merge the two ideas.

One of the best arguments for me is from Ephesians 1 where it speaks of Christ being the Head of the church, but He only took this position AFTER His resurrection and ascension.

Lastly, I Corinthians 12:13 speaks of us being baptised into one body, the church, by the Spirit. This did not occur until Pentecost. In Acts 1:5 Christ speaks of the baptism of the Holy Spirit as a future event. However, Peter, in Acts 11:15 speaks of it as already having happened. Pentecost is the only time that fits as far as I can see.

I started this thread, and then left while it took off, so I am glad for the opportunity to get back into it, if only for a little while. :)

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

AMEN to that MNW, and again I say Amen!

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Eph: 2
    10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
    11: Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
    12: That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
    13: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
    14: For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
    15: Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

You will never do away with such scriptures as these.

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Just got back on this thread so "Welcome Poimen" to "plain reading and acceptance of Scripture", as you say. Here is my understanding, and I had to go to my Apostle to understand the Word of God.

I believe when we stick to Who, When, Where, Why, What, and How, we can determine in what "dispensation" we are most interested in. Jesus said specifically, and precisely who it was He came for. I'm a Gentile, and not Israel so that left me out. Jesus lived in Old Testament times. He lived under the Law, with it Ordinances, and says until John were the Law & the Prophets. Jesus fulfilled Prophecy, and fulfilled the Law, and the law of ordinances.

So for me, I see the beginning "wilderness church" (Dr. Bob is correct), then to the earthly "Kingdom Church" of the Jew, which gospel is of John the Baptist "Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand", Matthew 3:2. These "Churches" are in the "Kingdom of God" for they are "earthly" promised to Abraham.

Next I see the "rock", or foundation, that Peter and the Apostles are to build on and it is the foundation of Jesus Christ, and we find that gospel to God's people, Israel is the Pentecostal gospel for the Jew to preach to the world. Scripture says that gospel is the "great commission" we find in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, and preached in Acts 2:38 to those men of Israel that asked what must we do, now today. This is the "Kingdom Church".

When we analyze this gospel, we find the Gentile is not really spoken to. John the Baptist spoke to no Gentile as to justification, and Jesus states He did not come for the uncircumcised Gentile, and the Apostles never preached justification of the Gentile, viz. our justification through faith. This justification through faith was unknown, for scripture tells us God had hidden this information from the beginning. Not until after Damascus Road did an Apostle present a certain gospel to a Gentile, and it was a "one time event" that Christ had Peter do as told in Acts 10.

The "church" beginning was in another "dispensation". In God's "dispensation" we live in today we have our own church offered. That is the "Body Church" of Christ Jesus in heaven. This "Body Church" of His was not known, until after "Damascus Road, just as also not known before - the "one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5. One Lord, one faith, one baptism," Ephesians 4:4-5. Acts 16 presents what gospel is "justified today". Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and we will be saved. This is the grace commission by God through the faith of Jesus Christ who has done all of the work.

When did our Church begin? In Acts 13:2, "As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them". The rest of the chapter gives further details.
    Amen, remembering Jesus is by seed of the Holy Spirit, and the Word of God became flesh.
    Agree again, as to the Kingdom Church. The Body of Christ could not be revealed before its time.
    The Kingdom Church.
    The Kingdom Church. We can't more Jewish than this. This is an "earthly church", a church of covenant that promises are made. God will keep His word to His people.
    Authorized in the Old Testament with the Old Testament gospel of "repent and be baptized for the remission of their sins.
    This has to be for we know that God could not reveal the "Body Church", before its time. Ephesians 1:6-10, "To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
    7. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
    8. Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
    9. Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
    10. That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:"

We are told today we can be of the "heavenly" in verse 3 (not quoted above), for we are circumcised and baptized without hands.

The "earthly" Church has its beginning in Genesis 17:8-10, "And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
    9. And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
    10. This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
    We are now in the "Body of Christ Church", i.e. the Bridegroom.
    Yes, for Israel is His Wife.

I can see two Churches, and two Gospels. If we both "believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, will both not be saved? I see a difference of "foundations we build on", in the "Kingdom of Christ Jesus."

#224 ituttut, Dec 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2006
  5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen Brother Bob. The "Kingdom Church", and the "Body Church". We are now also in His Kingdom for He made us so by the Grace of God the Father through His faith.

Paul shows the difference for we were never under the law of commandments contained in ordinances. Today we are told there is no difference between the Gentile and the Jew, for Christ has made in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Peter tells us "But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they", Acts 15:11. We today are not supposed to aspire to be in the "Kingdom Church" for to me that gospel will lead into the "tribulation period", for no "Rapture" is associated with it.