1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When did you know...

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Live4Him, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Live4Him

Live4Him New Member

Hey, everyone! I'm new to this forum, but there's a question I wanted to ask you guys.

When did you know that you were called to the ministry? How did you know? Were there any fears you had? Are you happy you answered the call?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't imagine anyone NOT answering the call being happy - really :smilewinkgrin:

I was driving home from seeing my father (50 miles) and the Lord just made it clear in my mind that he wanted me in the ministry. I had thought about it, but with a terrible stammering problem when around anyone new or when nervous I figured ministry was out. As I was driving it just seemed as I prayed about it the Lord just impressed upon my heart to say yes - yes with a kind of a "Ya, right" underneath due to my speech problems. Well then there was my barely making it through high school too, and well yes, the extreme shyness, ok well yes there was that hate of meeting people thing and the barely capable of giving a book report in HS without my knees crushing one another under the constant blows from one another, but God said I want you so I said sure, if you can overcome all the problems and get me through Bible school.

That was 40+ years ago and I have never once regretted saying yes, even amid the trials, poorness and hard headed Christians (Well, yes some really great ones too :) I've had to deal with.

We moved 27 times in that period and my wife/children never once complained. Kids are in their forties and all turned out fairly nicely thanks to the Lord's working in their lives.

So yes, very happy with the Lord's decision to choose me, prepare me, enable me, and use me. Not sure how much of a decision I had in the matter, just a yes with a ton of fear and trembling of spirit :laugh:

How did I know? Good question, just through prayer and devotions it just seemed the right thing to do in spite of all logic saying it was stupid. I think you will know!

And welcome to the "BORED" :)

#2 exscentric, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think most would want to add that God deals with different people in different ways. I've talked to men that knew from childhood that they wanted to minister. I know another that fell on his knees behind the bar he was tending and told the Lord yes.

I've heard of men in a church service minding their own business when the speaker said something and the Spirit drove it deep within and on the spot they knew God was calling them.

I've heard men tell of saying no to God and having great trials all their lives, I've heard of others that have said no and led happy peacefull lives.

I've known men that knew they were called to a particular land/area/people and go to that area after schooling and have known a couple that never made it to the field due to poor choices along the way.

Open your mind to the possibility, pray about it, talk with your pastor and be open to the Lord's leading.

Hey, He is GOD and He certainly knows how to show you/communicate with you through His word and prayer.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ministry began as soon as I became a believer.

5. Live4Him

Live4Him New Member

Wow, that sounds almost just like me! It feels like God wants me to do something in the ministry, and I love talking about Him and the Bible with people. However, speaking in front of people terrifies me as well! So I just don't know what to do...

Thank you guys for all of your responses so far! :thumbs:

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't so much that I "knew" God was calling me, as much as God was driving me. I always knew I had a passion for different aspects of ministry and I pursued those things. One day, about two years after our church had made me an elder, the man who's now our senior pastor was forced to take a leave of absence of about a year and I was made interim pastor. When he came back, the next thing I knew, I was the assistant pastor.

Not really, but only becasue I was surrounded by such Godly men who supported me.

Very much so.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was soon after salvation that I thought I was being called. I then started asking God to show me from the Bible that it was His will. He did through several passages that spoke to me during my regular devotions.

Absolutely. I fought it for a while. I was afraid of the responsibility. I was afraid that I'd blow it. ButI have learned that it is God's responsibility for where and when I do it. It is my responsibility to be obedient.

The honest answer is most days, absolutely. There is a joy in helping people know God through ministering and preaching. But there are some days, I wish I could just go to church and not have to know the hard times of church leadership and seeing people make a mess of their lives.