1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When Did YOU Receive the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, May 8, 2012.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

God's spirit indwelt me when I became a Christian at the ripe young age of almost 11. I knew because of the conviction when I sinned after that, as well as the direction given after that.

2. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again Yeshua1,
    No.
    Yes
    We are justified by faith, but that faith needs to grow, and without growth we will be rejected.
    Yes.

Kind regards
    Trevor

3. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again annsni and mandym,
    I believe that the Spirit is God’s power. If we speak of an arm or a leg of a man we do not say an arm is a “he”, similarly with God’s power. There are a number of verses in the NT that call the Spirit “He", and this is a personification. Especially the verses that speak of the Comforter, where the Holy Spirit was to come and comfort the Apostles and disciples after Jesus left for heaven. The Holy Spirit would be as if Jesus Himself was present to comfort and guide them.

Kind regards
    Trevor

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Christ uses the term "allos" meaning ANOTHER OF THE SAME KIND whereas something of a different kind would call for the Greek term "heteros." The Greek term "parakletos" is translated "Advocate" in 1 John 2:1 and it is a term that cannot possibly refer to merely "a" power but it necessarily demands that a PERSONAGE is in view as "comfort" is but one aspect that this term expresses. The Holy Spirit was "sent" just as Jesus was "sent" and The Holy Spirit is able to guide, teach, comfort, grieve, intellectually perceive, understand, etc.

However, I have dealt with you sufficiently to know that your conscience is seared by demonic false doctrine (1 Tim. 4:1-2) and so no matter how much Biblical evidence is provided to prove you are wrong will make no difference whatsoever.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL we need to know is he denies the Holy Spirit is God, as a person, so wrong Christ he is dealing with!

6. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

The following help to define The Spirit and The Holy Spirit:
    Genesis 1:1-2 (KJV): 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    Job 33:4 (KJV): The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.
    Psalm 33:6 (KJV): By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
    Psalm 104:30 (KJV): Thou sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth.
    Psalm 139:7-8 (KJV): 7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
    Job 26:13 (KJV): By his spirit he hath garnished the heavens; his hand hath formed the crooked serpent.
    Jeremiah 32:17 (KJV): Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:
    Jeremiah 23:24 (KJV): Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
    Luke 1:35 (KJV): And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
    John 4:24 (NASB95): “God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
    John 6:63 (KJV): It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
    Romans 8:26 (KJV): Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
    Romans 8:27 (NABWRNT): And the one who searches hearts knows what is the intention of the Spirit, because it intercedes for the holy ones according to God’s will.

Kind regards
    Trevor

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

"the INTENTION of the Spirit.....INTERCEDES..." That one verse exposes your false interpretation completely and utterly.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What wonderful truth of Scripture!! The Spirit is God and not just a "force" clearly in these Scriptures you listed.

9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

TrevorL does not believe we have spirits inside us that live on after the death of the body.

However, we do have spirits that live inside our bodies, our spirits are what we think and feel. Our spirits look like our physical bodies, except that it is spirit and not physical. When we die, we live on to be with Jesus, or separate from Him. When we die, we will still have a thinking, feeling, talking spirit that is conscious.

God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are One. When a person is saved, they have God and Jesus living inside of them. They have the Spirit of God and Jesus. We make a choice to live by the Holy Spirit, and this gives our spirit life, as we are transformed into the likeness of Christ.

10. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again annsni,
    I appreciate your response. Yes they are interesting and instructive verses concerning the Spirit of God. I must apologise for conveying the idea that I believed that the Holy Spirit is only a force. The Holy Spirit has operated in many ways, and perhaps one of the most important has been the Inspiration of the Scriptures, both OT and NT, through prophets and apostles and others. The Spirit reveals the One True God, the Father, and His Only Begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Kind regards
    Trevor

11. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings Moriah,
    Nice to hear from you again after some time. Could I ask one question based in part on your response. Do those who believe they have the Holy Spirit, or the Spirit, within, need to give themselves to a quiet meditation of the Word of God? Or is the Spirit within sufficient without the need of the Word of God?

Kind regards
    Trevor

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you not believe that the Spirit is God?

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, as he holds to the Spirit as being more like "Force" of God, just as both Mormons/JW hold with!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you hold to jesus as ALWAYS being with God, as being God?

15. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again annsi,
    That is like asking me if my arm was me. I could say yes in some circumstances, or in other, it is a part of me. When we read of a miracle, then it was God who performed that miracle through the Holy Spirit given say unto Peter. Can we separate the Holy Spirit from God, or call the Holy Spirit a separate person? No it is a part of the One God, the Father.

Kind regards
    Trevor

16. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again Moriah,

I would like to direct this to Moriah in particular because of his earlier post, but it is open for all to reply as I think it is relevant to the difference between what I hold and the general accepted view amongst the Baptists. The following is a quotation from a biography of Martin Luther, where the author speaks of the difference between Muntzer and Luther:
    Now I am not suggesting that Baptists adopt some of the extremes of muntzer, but with regard to the idea of the spirit within, they are closer to Muntzer than Luther, while I am closer to Luther. My own experience is that I need a constant replenishing of the Word of God and study and meditation, not a “light within” to maintain a spiritual life. I benefit also by listening to many Bible talks and as our meeting’s librarian, I love collecting Biblical resources.

The following is similar to the response I wrote to The Biblicist in Post #35 of this thread. He overlooked this, or chose to ignore it. I am interested in your response to the following. In our discussion in the thread “The Promises to Abraham – The Promise of the Land”, starting about Post #12, you insisted that heaven going is taught by alluding to Hebrews 12:1 stating that the cloud of witnesses must now be in heaven. I tried to soften your insistence on this but you persevered. For my part I stated my belief that Abraham is waiting for the resurrection of the dead. I still believe that Abraham is amongst those that sleep in the dust of the earth. He will be raised at the return of Jesus from heaven, when he comes to establish his kingdom on earth, to give Abraham the inheritance of the land that God promised Abraham and his seed in Genesis 13:14-15, Galatians 3:16,26-29.

I am not trying to open up that discussion again, but the question that I asked The Biblicist, I ask again to you: Do you believe that you came to above conclusions on Hebrews 12:1 because the indwelling Spirit inspired you?

Kind regards
    Trevor

17. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again Yeshua1,
    The Scriptures reveal that Jesus is seated at the right hand of God. I could also quote a number of NT verses that are based upon the following, but if you have a margin or TSK or NTSK you will be able to follow through how this verse is applied in the NT.
    Psalm 110:1 (KJV): The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Kind regards
    Trevor

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

However, that is not the issue! The issue is how is David applying it right then when he said it. David was addressing someone as His "Lord" and yet he had no "Lord" on earth over him because he was the king. This is the very point Jesus emphasized when facing those who understood God as you do.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So was/is Jesus God, same as the Yeshua/Yahweh of the OT who dealt with Isreal?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Jesus said that there is One called His father who is God, THAt same person commanded the Angels to worship the Son, jesus, and jesus said anotjher SAME as Him wpuld be sent to be with them, the Holy Spirit///

THREE person, each one God, yet still just ONE God!