1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When do we stop?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been two theads about Personal freedom and standards of churches.

One which is linked here

We have all spoken our mind about the KJO, dresses vs pants, hair length, hyms vs CCM, drinking in moderation, secondary seperation, Santa Clause and ect, ect, ect.

So the questions are:
    A. How much do you put up with before you leave a church (or if you even should leave)?
    B. How agressive are you going to get the church to change (or if you even should)?
    C. Would you be more likely to leave a church if the standards were too low or too high for you?

Salty

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I will visit most any church once. To attend or commit is another thing.

As for what I would choose/not choose a church to attend, let me think about that a while.

I have never left a church over "issues". I have left churches due to changes in my life (moving) or feeling God's leadership....but not for any particular reason beyond knowing God's leadership.

As far as aggression to change, why waste energy on that? There are more important things to invest energy in, such as mission work. So, investing energy to change like that...not much.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

when it becomes something people must do to get God's approval, when others attitudes are that those not like them are not spiritual and pleasing to God, when they by word or attitude are telling people they are not respecting God when they do not use kjvo, dresses only, etc. becasue then it has become a works church, and is not biblical.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have my own personal standards which I believe to be scriptural and within bounds of decency.
    However, I will not work for a church to change its standards and traditions just because it doesn't suit mine.
    I will leave but I will leave in love and friendship if at all possible.

First, it is the pastor's responsibility to the Chief Shepherd, a matter between the two of them, none of my business.
    Second, it is the church members' call and I will not go about creating discord.

I pastored a Primitive Baptist church and when my personal conviction about the missionism that was seeping into most PB churches clashed with many in the church and I saw that it was fomenting discord and a split, I quit the pastorate and gave it back to the former pastor rather than split the church.

I do not and have not regretted that decision.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

So many problems could be missed or done away with if more had your attitude to the problem.

If I don't go along with the theology, standards and traditions, I just move on, but still pray for my brother and sisters in such church.