1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When does God strictly enforce His Soveriegnty?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Feb 11, 2014.

?
  1. He strictly enforces it only prior to salvation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. He strictly enforces it before and after salvation

66.7%
  3. He never strictly enforces it, man does have some repsonibility both bfore salvation and after

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go further.... maybe not at all. Then there is no God. Congratulation's we are all atheist's.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #22 pinoybaptist, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we define Sovereignty as God causing or allowing whatsoever comes to pass, then when God is allowing sin, He is still sovereign. However, if God causes directly or indirectly whatsoever comes to pass, then if we are responsible for our sin, He is not sovereign because He did not cause it.

Anyone can play these games.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course you are correct Judith...there might be those who do not understand the scripture who would offer false "counsel" on this issue, nevertheless scripture means just what it says:
    9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

11 Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then there are those who will take scripture out of context and then misapply it to meet their presupposition.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ah yes...and thankfully there are many who see that scripture is presuppositional.......In beginning God.....

so they are no longer afraid to let God reveal himself as absolutely Sovereign in all things, trusting Him in all his holy attributes..unlike the heathen who create a god in mans image so they can limit his sovereign control...
    115 Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth's sake.

2 Wherefore should the heathen say, Where is now their God?

3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

4 Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.

5 They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not:

6 They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not:

7 They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat.

8 They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them.

7. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can nuance; that is what theology does. Ever since the homoi- homo- debate over Jesus' divinity.

I would like to hear a response, though, of whether God simply has but does not (or does not enforce) use his authority. I made the assertion that every single passage in Scripture speaks of God's authority always set in the realm of BOTH having AND using absolute authority.

#27 Greektim, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  8. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

9. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Evil"is not = to "sin".
    Not all sin is evil, not all evil is sin.
    God can do evil, God can't sin.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God make you write this post?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, God does create calamity. An environment that adversely affects us, such as the huge wave that killed more than 100,000 people.

But in order for something to be sin, it must oppose God. Yes, some hyper-Calvinists say God causes our sin and then punishes us for the sin He caused, and then they say that demonstrates His glory. I am not making this up.

But most Calvinists say God is not the author of sin, and therefore the calamity in view in Isaiah 45:7 is not sinful.