1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Does News Become Gossip

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Feb 28, 2009.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's important that what ever is said is an established fact and not speculation even when it's a request for prayer. I was once accused of something I didn't do and when the truth came out that I didn't do what I was accused of. Not one of my accusers ever apologized or even admitted they were mistaken. One still insisted I did what he had said about me in spite of the truth that came out.
    The terrible thing about gossip is that even when it's found to be untrue there are always going to be those who believe the accusation because they want to believe it. It's the nature of gossips and those who listen to them.
    Those who are so willing to listen to gossip are just as guilty as those who tell it.
    MB

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And repeat it

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A men to that.
    MB

4. Beth

Beth New Member

Absolutely

Absolutely, Hank, totally agree!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of when a believer has a disagreement with another believer, and their argument spreads throughout the congregation, with the intent of getting folks to take sides.....

You bring up a very good point, though, Hank....where does Matthew 18 apply and where does it not? Suppose you in fact do have someone who abused a child in the congregation....is that handled in Matthew 18 OR taken to the police immediately? I would lean towards the police...