1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When does the rapture take place?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, Nov 26, 2013.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Flat land furriers? Shoot, I live where the people in the mountains, have to look up to see the top of the mountains. Sure ain't no flat land here.....

Smoking is bad on your health, I concur. I have been quit for almost 7.5 years, but may start back up if I don't quit coming here....:laugh: :D

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

It was a cyber-"cee-gar" -- not known to cause mouth, throat or lung cancer. :thumbsup:

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

That flat land fernier was S/N!

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Ooopsy...... :/

5. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Colossians 2:15-16 (small section, but gives the summary) reminds us that a few days after Jesus had that private discussion with His Church (Matt. 24-25), he did away with that same Sabbath. But at the time He spoke, it was relevant: Not because they wouldn't be able to flee more than 50 steps, but rather that the stores would all be closed.

6. OldRegular

Jesus Christ is talking here about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD by Rome.

7. TipofTheTongueTheology

Compare End Time Passages...

Go to the Bible to compare end time passages without any presuppositions. For example, compare the following three passages: Matt 24:27-31, 1 Thess 4:15-17, and 1 cor 15:52. See how they are similar and how they are not and decide whether they are talking about the same event. If they are, then Jesus will return to rapture the church, immediately after the tribulation. You may not know the exact day/time but you can discern the seasons.

also, for further material on this matter go to the following link:

http://tipofthetonguetheology.blogspot.com/search/label/Eschatology

Respectfully, :thumbsup:
    Tip of the Tongue Theology
    http://tipofthetonguetheology.blogspot.com

8. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. I would add that no Baptist, before Darby-the-Presby-heretick published his garbage, believed in a 'pre-trib' resurrection.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps Peter is adressing the entire scope of the Second Coming.

I believe J Vernon McGee sees the second Coming of Jesus Christ as starting with the "rapture" and ending with the revolt at the end of the "millennium" with the destruction (or material renovation) of planet earth and the advent of the new heavens and new earth.

IOW verses 1-6 deal with the first phase (pre-millennial) and verses 7-13 deal with the destruction of and/or renovation of material heaven and earth.

Another issue is - the book of Revelation and its interpretation as related to its structure.

Many believe the Book of Revelation is not structured as a linear time continuum but a chiasmus which has a bearing on its overall interpretation.

IOW there may be repetitions of the same events mirrored from its beginning chapters in its ending chapters.

Most chaistic interpreters agree that Chapter 12 is the centerpiece of the Book.

Example of a short chiasmus: When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Here is one example of a chiastic view of the Book of Revelation:

http://www.explordanrev.com/wp/?page_id=3793

If it interests you (or anyone) you can do a Google on "revelation as a chiasmus" and come up with quite a few variations.

HankD

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If one believes in the Rapture, it will happen between the end of the church age of grace and the start of the Tribulation.

11. OldRegular

Enjoyed McGee as long as he stuck to Scripture and away from Dispensationalism. I do not believe that Revelation presents a timeline of events whether of the Church age {the millennium} or the so-called Great Tribulation. I do believe that it presents the struggle between good and evil during the Church age in seven different pictures Chapter 4 thru 20:9 with certain interludes. The New Geneva/Reformation Bible presents the verses applicable to the seven pictures.

12. OldRegular

That is a mighty big IF S/N!:smilewinkgrin:

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To go along with the underlying question of the O/P "when" of the rapture is also the question as to the "where".

That is - where will the saints go?

The word "rapture" is taken from the passage 1 Thessalonians 4

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
    16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.​

"caught up" is one word in the Greek harpadzo
    The word "rapture" is taken from the Latin Vulgate translation stem for harpazo : Rapt, Rapturo (or so I have read, my Latin is primitive).

It's the same word as used in

2 Corinthians 12
    2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.
    3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth​
    4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Caught up in the clouds in the air... but where to after that?
    most dispensationalists say heaven which seems likely but I don't think it is a water tight proposition.

Matthew 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.​

Wherever "my barn" is located. It is a term concerning a temporary structure. A structure built in the field (probably during the harvest) which protected the grain from the storms, wind and critters.

Also the tares are gathered first (but are left in the field "to be burned").

HankD

14. OldRegular

That reminds me of the last half of Revelation 20! The White Throne Judgment, the Saints in the New Heavens and New Earth with God, Satan and his cast into the Lake of Fire!

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes OR, it's my conviction that we can't know how to connect all the second coming scriptures until after the fact.

I think perhaps God wants to keep us guessing although there are many who believe they have it all figured out.

There are clues along the way.

It's like putting together a 1,000 piece puzzle.

HankD