1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When God calls you to take a step forward

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Stan Arney, Mar 30, 2013.

1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

When he said he saw God, that's when i bailed out. No man has seen God at any time.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only suppose you have never had such an experience your self where you have accepted Christ as Savior. The word accept means that we believe in Christ with all our hearts. I realize Calvinist like your self believe that God elected you but the truth of the matter is your replacement theology is false as is the false doctrine of being regenerated before faith. What you believe just isn't true at all as hard as I know you will reject the truth of scripture.
    MB

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stan,
    You have to be VERY careful around here trying to explain these types of communications while you talk about having true interaction with God! It seems some, especially these people called Calvinists, don’t know how they ever hear or see God – apparently for them He just drags them by force or something and implants knowledge and belief against their will while they are sleeping or something, I don't know exactly how their interaction must come about. BUT, you start talking about reasoning with volition through actual interaction with the "Deterministically Sovereign God" around here and you will have debate on your hands. You’ve been fairly warned… :tongue3::laugh:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have such an ax to grind that everything you say about Doctrines of Grace is a bias....& dont think people havent noticed.

If you ever read Martyn Lloyd-Jones book "JOY UNSPEAKABLE" where he wrote about power & renewal in the Holy Spirit.

The next question could be, "how could ML-J, a staunch CALVINIST possibly have written a book like that? My word, Benjamin has just stated that "these people called Calvinists, don’t know how they ever hear or see God " obviously incapable of such radical thinking. :laugh:

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

II Corinthians 11:4

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
    I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
    And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight — John Gillespie Magee, Jr​

I'm glad he didn't. ;)

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Show me the verse in God's Word where it says "accept Jesus".

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I see "accepting the gospel" but not "accepting Jesus".

"For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough."

Can you show me where it says "accept Jesus to be saved"?

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you were not ....uh....to use my brother's generation's term....spaced out at the time, right ?

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh.

Annsni, it's too bad you and David Platt weren't there at the Westminster Assembly or the Baptist Assembly of 1689 to set those guys straight:

"the principle acts of saving faith are, accepting, receiving, and resting upon Christ alone " (14.2)

:tonofbricks:

#30 Jerome, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
  11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    not to belabor anything, but, Annsni asked for scriptures, not statements of faith.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I wasn't citing the Divines as authoritative, I was noting that if only Annsni or David Platt had been there, the Divines could have been told how uber-unscriptural their notions were.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The OP said that God told him that murderers could be saved "as long as they accept His free gift of salvation". I just don't see terminology or wording in Scripture.

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When you offer such quotes...it is a clue that something dishonest is happening.

If we look at the statement in context we learn that Ann's comments were correct,and you are just trying in vain to oppose truth once again;
    here is the full statement showing God's work was considered as complete-
    Chapter 14. Of Saving Faith.

14.1. The grace of faith, by which the elect are enabled to believe to the saving of their souls, is the work of the Spirit of Christ in their hearts; and is ordinarily wrought by the ministry of the Word: by which also, and by the administration of the sacraments, and prayer, it is increased and strengthened.

14.2. By this faith, a Christian believes to be true whatever is revealed in the Word, for the authority of God himself speaking in it; and acts differently, upon that which each particular passage contains; yielding obedience to the commands, trembling at the threatenings, and embracing the promises of God for this life, and that which is to come. But the principle acts of saving faith are, accepting, receiving, and resting upon Christ alone for justification, sanctification, and eternal life, by virtue of the covenant of grace.

14.3. This faith is different in degrees, weak or strong; may be often and many ways assailed and weakened, but gets the victory; growing up in many to the attainment of a full assurance through Christ, who is both the author and finisher of our faith.

Biblically....God makes the elect ACCEPTED in the beloved...it is all His work, not what we accept or reject:
    Looks like you have it wrong again Jerome.Maybe if you stayed in the church in Florida,you would not struggle with this now.:wavey::thumbsup:

15. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Act 16:30-31
    (30) And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
    (31) And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Now can you explain how this belief came about for us? Was belief out of his own heart or was it “implanted” into him/determined/whatever upon him? IOWs are you saying he didn’t have the ability to respond to the influences of God of his own free will (he was determined to believe?) or does he have that ability to “accept” the free gift. I know you Calvinist have difficulty getting your story straight and with sticking one way or the other on how he received this gift but can you chose one please?

(Rom 10:9) If you declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Note: “You” is used 4 times in this verse. I think you'll be surprised by how much "you" there is in a book that supposedly says that we do nothing.

BTW Stan,

What you’ll come to realize, if here long enough, is that when Calvinists speak of THE “Doctrines of Grace” what they really should be calling their doctrine, if being more upfront, would be something like THE “Doctrines of Pre-selected Deterministic Grace” this tactic of non-discloser is similar to the deception they use in how they say they go about preaching the gospel – when put on the spot they will commonly admit to preaching the Gospel it AS IF an Arminian (Those with a belief in the genuine ability for all to freely respond to God influences) were true. In truth, maybe a better way to describe their true behind the scene doctrines concerning the gospel would be the “Doctrines of Forget Hope/Deterministic Grace” since in reality their doctrines are based on God Sovereignly pre-determining all things in a strict “cause and effect” fashion - as I imagine you can see here with those that are arguing that the Bible never say we must “accept” the free the gift.

In fact, many Calvinists like to say they are not even a Calvinist but yet will quote Calvinists to support their doctrines of Determinism. As you can see in this example here:

See, this guy in the last two quotes above identifies with Calvinist but repeatedly argues through semantics on this board that he is not a Calvinist. You may begin to see the pattern of these types of tactics and them not owning up to their beliefs?

Yes, there is a definite pattern of non-discloser and back and forth two-faced denial in what Calvinists/Determinists/Predestinarians/whatever they want to call themselves, believe because they don’t want to be pinned down on these things (the must fit interpretational guidelines of the TULIP – which all logically vitally hinge on Determinism). If they were it could be clearly demonstrated that their doctrines are purely fatalistic theology.

Anyway, I have the feeling you are new to these types of accusations about you being on drugs/spaced out or simply dreaming while trying to explain your “vision” as you tell of your interaction with God and should know where and from whom they are coming from. We are not all that way here.

Hope that helps.

:saint:

#35 Benjamin, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
  16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Benjamin,

Scripture tells us about what still is a mystery to you......

25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

the work is all of God.....the man does not open his old stony heart, God does a spiritual transplant, enabling the elect to believe...

You were in Acts 16...if you paid attention you might have seen this;
    14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

God open her heart...she did not open her old hard heart by herself.....God did it all, then she attended to the things that were spoken....

Stan is confused enough, flying around the auditorium...he does not need your philosophy to obscure the clear teaching of scripture.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, the longer I'm a Christian and in ministry, the more I see the truth of God's sovereignty but that's not the discussion here.

What I am saying is the "accept the free gift of salvation" is a modern construct and not what is written in Scripture. Yes, salvation is a free gift. But I still don't see where it is written in answer to the question "How must I be saved?", "Accept the free gift of salvation and you will be saved." I just do not see God saying those words to someone but instead, I do think that those words came from someone's experiences in the Christian world.

18. Stan Arney

Stan Arney New Member

Hebrews 3

7 So, as the Holy Spirit says: "Today, if you hear His voice,
    8 do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert,
    9 where your fathers tested and tried me and for forty years saw what I did.
    10 That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.'
    11 So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'
    12 See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.
    13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.
    14 We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.
    15 As has just been said: "Today, if your hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion."
    16 Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt?
    17 And with whom was He angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert?
    18 And to whom did God swear that they would never enter His rest if not to those who disobeyed?
    19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

19. Stan Arney

Stan Arney New Member

Hebrews 4

12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
    13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

20. Stan Arney

Stan Arney New Member

Hebrews 13

20 May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep,
    21 equip you with everything good for doing His will, and may He work in us what is pleasing to Him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.