1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When have you felt the Lord outside of church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bgoc bryan, Jan 17, 2006.

1. bgoc bryan

bgoc bryan New Member

When I was in Marine boot camp there was a week we could not go to the chaple. I don't know all the ins and outs of why we could not go, but it was our mess week. They brought us a few bibles and gave us some time in the chow hall to do as we pleased. In a corner of that chow hall a small group of teenage Marine recruits read verses that had been helping us and prayed together. With out the aid of a chaplin the Holy Spirt came lead us for that short period of time and to this day has been one of the markers in my life of Gods love.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have felt the presence of the Lord many times that are outside of the church. I have felt Him as I walk along a trail near a lake. I have felt Him as I look up at the stars in the sky on a clear night. I have felt Him as I talk and pray with friends. The list could go on and on...

The Lord and His presence are not bound to the church in any way.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was driving down the road one evening during a particularly bad time in my life and the Lord comforted me with ducks.

Don't laugh.

I was near to tears over a predicament in my life and the Lord called my attention to a flock of ducks flying in their "v" shape across a stunning sunset.

I was reminded that God takes great care over the sun coming up and going down everyday. And he is in control of the ducks and their migrations across the lands.

I had to face the facts that if ducks and the rays of the sun coming through the atmosphere were on God's list of important daily things to take care of....then so was I.

My problem wasn't solved...but I stopped crying and thanked him for birds and sunsets and for taking care of me more times than I deserve.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

4. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Scarlett,
    I won't laugh at all - I had a very similar experience. I have always loved "birds" (meaning bobwhite quail in these parts); in the past 15 years the quail population in rural eastern NC has all but disappeared. I was riding home from work in a distant town a few years ago and was also going through a particulary bad time in my life - I was praying and listening for God, soul searching, and wondering if things would ever get okay again. I had chosen a back road so if I was somewhat distracted I could think and pray while I rode. I rounded a curve in the highway and a small covey of quail flew right across the road and landed on one side and stood there. I marveled at seeing wild quail - I had not seen any in several years - and then realized that God was letting me know that their was peace, contentment, and beauty in Him - the Creator of me and those birds. I slowly got through my trials, but still think of those quail as a special sign that came to me and told me to "hold on". Bruce

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Well, Bruce, since you appreciate birds, you should appreciate this.

When I was a little kid, I used to go out into the woods and "whistle" at the bob-whites. They would "whistle" back. I was in such awe of nature and its beauty....

....until I found out that my cousin was hiding behind a tree and whistling back at me...not the birds!!!!

6. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I was walking out of a canyon in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming with a pack full of elk meat one evening.

I paused to rest and turned to look back down the canyon.

The full September moon was rising over the Little
    Big Horn and the Milky Way was bright in the clear mountain air.

I was in awe of it and fully aware that only He could have done this.

I felt His presence powerfully.

===================
    Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity; that they may be without excuse:
    ===================

MR

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

"When have you felt the Lord outside of church?"

All the time and in many different ways.

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Anyone who doesn't feel the Lord outside of the four walls of a church building needs to do some serious soul searching!!

As PastorSBC1303 already stated, the Lord is not bound to any man made church. As Christians we are to live in the Lords presence and worship him daily.

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Every time I go outside and I see God's country, I can't help but think about the people shaking their fists at him, in spite of everything he has made. But, he's there, I can feel it, and I think they can feel it too, and that's why they're shaking their fists.

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I was once very backslidden and had begun to doubt that there was a God. Then one night I realized that my life was a mess because of my sin, but I didn't know what to do. I prayed a short prayer, asking God why He didn't give signs anymore, then I decided to stop doing some of the things I had been doing and try to repair some of the things that I had broken down. A short while later, God gave me a sign, and I realized how awful my sin was and how wretched I was compared to a Holy God. God woke me up and I decided that night to repent of all my sins, no matter how small and try to live my life the way He wanted me to. God has blessed me greatly since then, and I am ashamed to say that I have lost some of the zeal I had after that night. I don't need anymore signs though.