1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When I Was A Kid!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by tyndale1946, Aug 24, 2018.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe I was around twelve years old and we had gathered at my Grandparents house for some holiday, probably the forth of July, seeing what we were about to do... One thing seem to stand out that day above all others, Dad and I were in charge of making homemade ice cream... Now a days you can buy the electric kind but back then it was a manual job... Roll back the clock 60 years... After Grandma and Mom repaired the mix in this metal cylinder and added the paddle and sealed it, they gave it to dad and him and I went to work... He was the grinder and I was the sitter... He attached the bucket to the cylinder, added ice and rock salt and filled it to the brim and as I sat on the top we went to work... Well he did but I believe back in those days you needed a sitter. so he would grind, grind, grind and grind adding ice and rock salt as needed... I would sit and we would talk as he ground away... Repeating the process time and time again... He would turn the handle again and again and again... Until he couldn't turn the handle no more... The ice cream was ready and was it "COLD"... If you ever had homemade ice cream made this way you know what I'm talking about... About a month ago we celebrated my Son-In-Laws fiftieth birthday and we brought our electric ice cream maker and he had the honors of making homemade ice cream... As I listen to it grind away, it brought back a tradition of sixty years ago, when I sat on the bucket, as Dad and I made home made ice cream... So COLD!... but Yummy... Yummy... Yummy... What fond memory stands out in your mind, when you were a kid?... Brother Glen:)

#1 tyndale1946, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a kid....

….my grandmother made peanut butter cake [yellow home-made cake with peanut butter icing that was more like sugary fudge]. My aunt made homemade vanilla ice cream with the old crank mixer - that all of us grandkkids fought to crank.

On 4th of July's, my favorite thing was a slice of that peanut butter cake [still VERY warm] and a scoop of that cold, cold vanilla ice cream mixed together in a plastic bowl.

You've just haven't had ice cream unless you've eaten it from an old timey hand cranked mixer.

I haven't had that in a good 40 years!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    +

One of my favorite treats was coming home from school (elementary) and going to my G-mother's kitchen - lived next door - getting 2 or 3 cold biscuits leftover from breakfast, going to my G-dad's garden & pulling 4-5 spring onions and having a feast!!
    Man that was good!!!!!
    'Course I never ever turned down any home-made ice cream either.
    Frankly I believe food in general just tasted better back then.

4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When I was a kid, Mom used to send me to the corner store for cigarettes - they were 27 cents a pack and the store actually sold them to me!