1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Is A Believers Baptisim Invalid?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Soulman, Nov 11, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So when Jesus said "...upon this Rock I will build my church (singular"), which local church was He referring to?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Here are some basic scriptures I have found that fleshes out some of the differences I have seen.

Scriptures concerning the Universal Church
    Added to by the Lord...............................................Acts 2:47
    Entered by baptism..................................................I Cor 12:13
    None but the saved.................................................2 Tim 2:19
    Satan Can’t prevail against.....................................Matt 16:18
    Relationship of Christ/Christians
    .........No functional organization,
    ........oversight, or treasury.....................................Eph 1:22-23
    Distributive (individual) action.................................Eph 5:24

Scriptures concerning the Local Church
    Joins oneself to.......................................................Acts 9:26-28
    Accepted into or received by...................................Act 18:27
    Some are sick or dead............................................1 Cor 11:30
    Satan can prevail against.......................................Acts 20:29-30
    .......regarding some entering into the church and leading others astray........
    Relationship of Christians w/ Christians.................Act 15:22-23
    ...............................................................................Col 4:12
    Functional organization w/ Oversight & treasury.........Act20:28
    ................................................................................I Cor 16:2
    ................................................................................I Pet 5:2
    Collective group action............................................Phil 4:15

#22 Allan, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Greetings, webdog:

I hold that Jesus was referring to the church that came into existence when he completed calling the twelve disciples. Jesus built that group by teaching them doctrine, adding the ordinances (both of which existed before Pentecost, by the way) and teaching to be witnesses.

It was a traveling church at first, finally settling in Jerusalem after the resurrection, where it had grown to at least 120 members.

What Jesus said about the assembly he founded is true of your congregation and mine. He is the Head, he purchased it with his own blood, and he builds it.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm afraid we about to hi-jack this thread with our discussion of local vs. universal church. There's another thread dealing with this subject, that I think you started, webdog.

There is a loose connection here, since the discussion is about what constitutes valid baptism and most debate is over who is the administrator of the ordinances.

But for now, anything further on the subject of the church, I'll say it in webdog's thread, titled "Who's the Great Commission?"

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know the majority of us believe in immersion for baptistm - one thing I think about even aside from the "going into the water" and "coming out of the water" is what we say when baptisms are done (we just had 10 this weekend - mostly young people under 17 - what a blessing it was!). We say "buried in the likeness of His death" as they go under the water, and "raised in the likeness of His resurrection". I don't think we bury with just a bit of dirt sprinkled over the person but they are put into the ground. What an awesome visual of the burying of the old man and the life of the new man coming forth.

Ann

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Good point Tom, Don't want to hi-jack the thread.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Excellent, Annsi. Add Romans 6:4 "...buried with him by baptism..." and "...like as Christ was raised..." and you have the scriptural basis for what the preacher says when he baptizes.