1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When is dancing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Aug 8, 2006.

?
  1. Miriam and the women dancing before the Lord (Ex. 15:20)

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. The immodest, idolatrous dancing of the Israelites (Ex. 32)

29 vote(s)
    78.4%
  3. The folk dance of the daughters of Shiloh (Jud. 20)

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. David dancing before the Lord without outer garments (2 Sam. 6)

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Children doing folk dances (Job 21:11, Luke 7:32)

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Dancing as worship with tamborine (Ps. 150:4)

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. A young girl dancing for the entertainment of old man Herod (Matt 14)

27 vote(s)
    73.0%
  8. None of the above

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  9. All of the above

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Growing up, I was also taught that dancing was wrong, so I was even not allowed to participate in the folk dance at school, something I think to this day was silly.

Having said that, I was never told that dancing would send me to Hell. The Fundamentalist circle I grew up in taught that it was a path to temptation. Call me naive, but how it can be possible for two who are unmarried to "hold each other tight," "dance to the music," and not be tempted to lust, I'll never know. I've been married 27 years, so you'd think I'd be over it, but holding my wife tight?? Whew!! And to do that with someone you are not married to???:eek: :eek:

Tell you what, you folk who think that kind of dancing is all right, next time you are out on the dance floor say to the girl, "Why don't we just have a word of prayer while we hold each other?" Hah!

2. Kris

Kris New Member

Worded perfectly!
    Unmarried men and women dancing together on the dance floor just can't glorify god. I don't see any reason to open the tempation up for anyone, or to cause anyone else to stumble.

3. Kris

Kris New Member

Wow another good post by JOJ popped up while I posted

Hey JOJ
    I have a feeling that you and I could have some FUN on a dance floor together : :love2: :tongue3:

We could incite many lustful feelings while the others here are :sleeping_2:

Wake up Y'all :eek: !!

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You were allowed to cut your hair short?? Sinner!! You didn't have John R. Rice for your preacher, right? :tongue3:

We are on the same page, Bitsy.

But the passage about Miriam, and Psalm 150, bring up an issue. Is "liturgical dancing" still popular in the States? Years ago a pastor I know rebuked his daughter because her "liturgical dance" in his church turned sensuous. As far as I know, they still don't speak to each other.

While dancing to the Lord like Miriam did has a certain charm, I don't see dancing as a proper church activity. In the OT, it was a physical activity offered to the Lord in much the same way the Bon dance here in Japan is offered to the dead. I believe the physical activities God is pleased with in the NT era are bowing down in prayer, singing praise, witnessing for Him and the like.

On the other hand, it is possible to just get so happy in the Lord we jump for joy, and I think that is a kind of dancing. In college I once won a first place trophy in a martial arts tournament, jumped up and down for joy and grabbed the guy next to me (second place, poor guy) and gave him a big hug. If looks could kill....:tongue3:

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lookout, sister! :eek: :laugh:

#25 John of Japan, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aha! I wondered who it was. You are forgiven, Marcia.

But seriously, three have voted that no dancing is inappropriate. I'm really puzzled how a Bible believing Baptist could believe that #2 & 7 on the poll in particular are excusable.

#26 John of Japan, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: :laugh: But would the Calvinist lie still for you??

So, let me get this straight. Do you then say that dancing is never a sin? Do you think it was perfectly all right for the Israelites to strip and dance around the golden calf? Moses didn't think so. He got angry when he saw "the calf, and the dancing" (Ex. 32:19), and threw down the tablets, breaking all ten commandments at once. He then commanded the righteous in the camp to get their swords and execute 3000 of the sinners. God didn't think so. He sent a plague because of the idol they were offering the dance to.

I just got back from dendo (evangelism) with my good friend Brother H. Now he likes the Japanese festivals, so I have to keep an eye on him. If you were Bro. H.'s pastor, would you tell him it was all right to participate in the Bon dances, offered to the spirits of the dead?

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The dancing would not be the sin/wrong, the idolatry would be. This is like saying if they sung to an idol. We know singing is not wrong, but worshiping an idol certianly is.

This is why I don't subscribe to the act being the sin, it's what's in the heart during the act or the reason behind the act that is wrong.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Again, it was not the dancing. It was the golden calf that was the problem. Had they of been dancing to the Glory of the most high God, moses would not have broke the third tablet and we'd still have 15 instead of 10 commandments...

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Could someone please describe the "good" dancing in the Bible? What kind of music, what steps, what costume, who could or could not participate?

No?

Okay, let's get a little closer to home. Can someone please offer some evidence explaining how today's liturgical dance resembles the one done by Miriam, and wherein it differs, if at all?

Hmmm?

Well, could somebody please just make something up out of thin air and assert it without any evidence whatsoever? C'mon, folks, the legalists are coming. There must be some way to label today's stuff as "biblical."

11. whatever

whatever New Member

If it makes you think about Jesus and His love then it's fine, and nobody better disagree no matter what it makes them think of, because if they aren't thinking about Jesus too then they just aren't spiritual, and maybe (probably) not even saved.

How's that?

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So would it be all right for me to join in a Bon dance here in Japan as long as in my heart I was offering it to God while everyone else was offering it to their ancestors?

I know where you are coming from, and it is true that sin comes from the heart as Jesus taught, but I must say that the action matters greatly, otherwise the actual act of killing someone would not matter so much as long as we didn't mean to do it. Again, there are actually quite a few Bible passages that call actions "sin."

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Your participation would imply your approval of it's purpose. If you decide to join the festival, make sure to wear your GOD SIDE shirt and carry a sign that makes your feelings regarding the festival as well as the true reason you're dancing well known.

Do we hold the executioner guilty for carrying out the sentence of the court? How about the soldier? What about the family who struggles with the decision to "pull the plug?" GOD knows our heart so does not truly judge our actions. This is why man shouldn't judge, we don't know the heart, just the action.

14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I'm playing catch up here and haven't read this entire thread--yet. I'm answering things as I come to them and will probably head off before I finish the whole thread. This is where I am now:

Okay, dancing as worship to idols is sin just as any other activity that was meant as worship to someone/thing not God is sin. no arguement from me there. But.....(there is always a but, :D), but how much dancing do you see that is done for worship purposes? (Christian or nonChristian) Most dancing is an activity that humans do to prevent boredom.

Nope, I didn't leave you out John, I included you as my last choice. You sincerely believe that dancing will lead to problems. But you can't/haven't backed up with scripture that dancing always leads to further decline of morals. Instead of saying there are forms of dancing that lead to lust and fornication or idol worship you(okay maybe not you personally) draw the line that ALL dancing is sinful. (I could go here, but I'm too tired)

Is it a sin to be tempted? What are the consequences of a Christian giving in to temptation? Loss of salvation? Not according to my sig line, dancing doesn't have that power.

Chastisement? Ah, this one can be backed up with scripture. If the dancing turns into something not God honoring, He's going let us know about it! Unless we're just plain stubbornheaded we'll learn from the experience what is and is not appropriate, whether it be dancing or lying (appropriate for Rahab when she lied about where the Isrealite spies were hiding and God honored her for it, inappropriate for Ananias and Sapphiria when they lied about their giving. sorry about the spelling)

God gave humans a brain, I expect He wants us to learn to use it.

15. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I often just don’t understand the fear of lust (especially considering it a matter of the heart) taking such a high precedence in being more sinful than say violence. Like in watching TV and some violence comes on it’s not too bad but should a suggestive situation or nude scene come on and I will admit I even do this myself for example if my children are present I get pretty disturbed and tell them to close their eyes and if available will throw a blanket over their head or turn it off thinking why did they have to put that in there with disgust while completely disregarding the violence.

So John, I’m not picking on you but just wondering; how do you distinguish between a social dance being wrong as in holding someone tight but yet a martial arts Kata dance depicting a skill of violence is OK?

I know there is a lot of discipline that goes with the Arts but still the skill in itself can lead to serious violent acts. Isn’t it both ways still a matter of the heart as to where it leads.

#35 Benjamin, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I need to go back and reread the Scripture in Exodus about Miriam's dancing -- but in my memories (blurred further by the middle of the night), I'm remembering that it was a spontaneous act of worship. Litugical dancing in churches is well rehearsed and choreographed.

The only problem I've had with the dances in programs or just to songs (OK, I'm not a dance person!!) is that while it's always tasteful it just doesn't draw me into worship. I may say, that was lovely, but that's about the extent of it.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm afraid this would mean very little to the Japanese, being entirely out of context in their heathen culture and religion. They would still think I was offering the dance to the ancestors with them.

Murder is determined by authority. An executioner or soldier is given the authority to kill by his government, which is given authority to God. However, no one gives me authority to kill my neighbor, either by accident or on purpose (with the sole possible exception of self defense). Either way the Japanese powers that be would come down hard on me, and rightly so. Murder is a terrible sin in the Japanese culture, as in virtually every culture in the world.

As for the "pull the plug" discussion, that is a whole different ball game, and I see no reason to bring it into this discussion.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem, Benjamin, is that modern American society condemns all violence as sin (or in the modern word, "inappropriate"), and that is just not so. Much of human violence is righteous: the government punishing crime, me defending my family, etc. All the violence done by God in the Bible is righteous. In fact, Jesus Himself was violent when He threw the money changers out of the temple.

On the other hand, lust (assuming it as desire towards the wrong object of affection, rather than desire towards one's mate) is always wrong, as Jesus taught in Matt. 5:28, "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
    As it happens, I hold black belts in several martial arts, so I know quite a few kata, and I see a huge difference between a kata teaching violence and a dance opening the door to temptation to lust. The kata is not advocating violence, just preparing for it. In fact, all traditional kata that I know (both Japanese and Chinese) starts with a block, meaning it is aimed towards self defense and not initiating violence. This echos the famous statement by Gichin Funakoshi, the father of Karate in Japan, who said, "There is no first strike in Karate."

On the other hand, dancing with a partner of the opposite sex who is not your mate is aiming one straight towards adultery.

#38 John of Japan, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ain't that a fact ?:tongue3: :laugh:

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to go to supper, but I wanted to answer this part, too. It is a misconception that a martial arts skill can lead to serious violent acts, unless by this you mean that having a martial art skill enables one to violently protect himself, his family or the weak.

In my experience (going back 40 years to high school wrestling, then judo, karate and kung fu in college), I've never personally known anyone made more violent by the discipline of the martial arts, though I have heard of the rare exception. On the contrary, in almost every case the discipline prevents one from further violence, because the martial artist then has self confidence and has no need to prove anything, unlike the street brawler who wishes to show how macho he is.