1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When is it appropriate to activate this verse?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Oct 2, 2015.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV states, "Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge."

The NSAB states, "Leave the presence of a fool, or you will not discern words of knowledge."

So, how do members of the BB apply this?

If you are out "soul winning," does this verse apply?

If you are in a social gathering, does this verse apply?

Of you are at a church gathering, does this verse apply?

If you are attending a worship service, does this verse apply?

When would you get up and walk out?

What if there were political, financial, educational,... repercussions should you walk out?

How do you apply this verse?

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can we expect the Spiritually Dead to have understanding of spiritual things? I think that a bit of patience is of order, since we who are His were once in the same place.

My own opinion.

3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We expect the Spiritually Dead to understand the Gospel this way:

John 16:7-9

King James Version (KJV)

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

All divine truth has always been revealed to men, God initiating relationship. The response of men to the revealed will of God is what varies, either rejection or reception. That will has been progressively revealed through the Ages, culminating in the revelation of the Gospel of Christ. The Comforter's Ministry centers on glorifying Christ, and this is what He does when HE brings the natural man under conviction of sin (that we are sinners), righteousness (that we are not and only Christ is), and judgment (great motivation for repentance, as the reality of our separation and fate are shown to us):

John 15:25-26

King James Version (KJV)

25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

(and please bear with me I have not decided on font 5 or 4 to enlarge Scripture. Thinking 4 will do it.)

John 16:12-14

King James Version (KJV)

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

And keep in mind this was spoken to Christ's closest disciples. They too would fall under that convicting Ministry. And we see that the Lord states "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now."

The application to the OP's question would be, from my view, that when we witness we rely on that ministry which speaks to the heart, rather than how we normally engage in discussion, which involves the intellect primarily. Even those who know little more than how one is saved can be used to minister the Gospel, and it is understanding that it is not what we say, but how the Comforter impacts the heart of those we witness to that takes the responsibility from our shoulders and places them squarely on God's. So our view of those we consider lost should not necessarily be governed by our view of them, but God's. We understand the basics, and sometimes it will be that someone we witness to, or teach...will be offensive to us. But if we consider how offensive each of us are to Holy God...we might not be inclined to refrain from the task before us, which is...simply to convey the Gospel of Christ.

And most of that is simply being available for God to work through us.

God bless.

4. BrandonA

BrandonA New Member

Evangelism will, by its very definition, put us squarely in the path of worldly foolishness. We can't share Christ with the world and expect not to run into darkness along the way.

In the church, however, we should naturally expect the Holy Spirit to be having an influence on those around us. Those who are still immature will still throw foolishness around, but we're no different.

The definition of "foolishness" in the Bible falls more along the lines of intractability, stubbornness, "quick to speak and slow to listen", that sort of thing. There's a difference between someone who simply has a wrong opinion and someone who's so attached to it that he'll attack you for doing so.

Random thoughts, I know.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome BrandonA,
    You are using (I assume) the Proverbs, "Answer a fool..., Answer not a fool..."

That is a good point.

Part of the OP was asking when is it right to leave a conversation, or a meeting (I put various scenes to those two in the OP).

When would you walk out?

When would you "go from the presence?"

6. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

God sets forth a boundary. Elsewhere in the bible it says don't go into vain babbling. So you can witness, but if it starts to get into foolish argument, meaning the person doesn't really want to learn he's just being ignorant on purpose, then you can dust off your feet and move on. They know the truth, that's all you can do. God waters the seed and gives the increase.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He that knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool. Avoid him.

He that knows not and knows that he knows not is a child. Teach him.

He that knows and knows not that he knows is asleep. Awaken him.

He that knows and knows that he knows is a leader. Follow him.

(from the desk of a respected, effective manager, for all to contemplate)

8. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent topic for discussion. Maybe we should look at what Scripture states about vain babblings as opposed to a general ministry of the Word and whether that is something we can use as an excuse to walk away from people in need of the truth.

I will start:

Acts 19:7-9

King James Version (KJV)

8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.

9 But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus.

(see link)

Paul is seen as being in what is, doctrinally, basically a hostile environment. We see three months of ministry before he departs.

Now the question I would present to you would be this: was the synagogue a place where the Gospel stood in contrast with the doctrinal positions we assume he was contending with?

Here is another example:

Acts 17:16-18

King James Version (KJV)

16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.

17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.

Here we see the "persuasion" the Word of God wrought through Paul's disputing.

Now another question we might consider is whether there is any question that Paul addressed false doctrine. He will go on to reveal to those who were assuredly vain in all their babbling...the Unknown God.

And isn't that really our directive? To reveal to people who are vain in their babblings about what they understand about God or gods?

God bless.