1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When is your name written in Book of Life?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pocadots1990, May 20, 2007.

1. TBLADY

TBLADY New Member

He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

-Revelation 3:5

I always took this to mean.

In John's day, the king of any land always kept a register that was very much like a census. If a person committed a crime against the state, his name was removed from the register and he was no longer considered a citizen. If a person moved, his name was put on another register and erased from the former register. If a person died, his name was removed from the register. The king also kept a register of the living subjects of his kingdom who had not rebeled against him.

Christ's Register

Christ says, "Some petty kings might blot your name out of their books, but I will never blot your name out of My book." He is not saying that you can lose your salvation; He is saying the opposite. No matter what anyone else would do, Christ will not blot your name out of His book if you put your faith in Him.

#21 TBLADY, May 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In order to believe this, you would also have to reason that Christ wasn't slain nearly 2000 years ago...but before time and space were created (Lamb slain before the foundation of the world). Do you honestly believe that?!? "Before" is clearly referring to a point outside of our time as we know it.

3. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Something that will help clear up the confusion is that there are 2 books: 1) The Book of Life, and 2) The Lamb's Book of Life.

Re 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
    Re 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The first book records all those born into the world. It appears that names can be "blotted out" of it, presumably at the time of death of an unbeliever, or possibly at their final rejection of God.

The second records all the saved of all the ages, whose names cannot be removed from this book. God knows from aeons past who is in this book.

There are also other books, implications being at least 4 in scripture. How many others, only God knows.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such distinction between the Book Of Life and the Lamb's Book Of Life -- they are one and the same .