1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When looking for a church...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 5xBlessed, Apr 2, 2005.

1. 5xBlessed

5xBlessed New Member

Would you not attend a church if you disagree with one of the teachings? My present church teaches the rapture and I really don't hold a position on it. The rapture seems to come up in every sermon or at least most of the sermons.

I attended another church last week just to check it out. It was Baptist, not IFB though. I agree completely with the doctrine except they teach out of the NIV and I'm a KJV only gal. That won't change. I felt a little uncomfortable with that but that may be because KJV is what I'm used to. I had talked to the preacher a few times before attending. We discussed my Catholic background and he mentioned that he doesn't agree with a lot of the teachings and particularly mentioned the statues. When I went into the church there was a very large Jesus flag (picture of what Jesus is assumed to look like) hanging up in the front of the church. Isn't this essentially the same thing as a statue? I felt uncomfortable with the flag hanging up, but, again, that may be because of my Catholic background. Would this bother you, or am I making too much of it?

I'll admit one reason I'm considering a new church is because our current church is very small. There are very few children so no children's church or youth group or anything. That wouldn't be a big deal to me if it weren't for the fact that we can't afford private school and I work from home so can't homeschool. I do like the idea of being in a larger church where our kids can possibly befriend other children being raised in a Christian home.

Anyway, I'm just looking for opinions. I'm really torn on whether to stay or leave our old church. I've really been struggling with it and thought maybe a few opinions would help me out a little. Unfortunately, the decision is entirely up to me. Going to church is a much bigger deal to me than it is to my husband so I'm pretty much on my own with this particular decision. Thanks.

Lucy

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I personally hate to see anyone leave a good church...and I would think the rapture is not an issue to leave over.

I am also leary of the excuse that the church is too small and not enough programs for kids/youth....if you feel that is the truth, then what are you doing to change that in your church? Instead of leaving for greener grass, why not start watering the grass you already have and seek to make it a better place?

3. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I wouldn't leave a church over a single doctrine such as the rapture, indeed, the example applies specifically to me since I'm in a rapture teaching church and don't hold that position presently. BUT, I would leave if they taught the rapture, or any doctrine in every sermon. I am more of a teach the whole Bible verse but verse, whatever comes up. One of my pet peeves is a church that teaches its disticitve or pet docrtine every week, be it KJVO, or Calvinism, or the rapture, or cessationalsim, etc.

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I wouldn't leave a church over a single doctrine either. I am in a church that teaches tithing, which I don't agree with. I would suggest presenting your pastor with your point of view biblically. He may beable to teach you something or visa versa. Let him know where you stand on the issue. Then at least both of you know.

I would also agree with the advise PastorSBC1303
    gave. If your church is lacking members, assist in the outreach. Lacking programs? Get permission to start one. Churches grow one member at a time. If you love the bretheren dig in and become a blessing to the ministry.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Amen to what Soulman and PastorSBC said. Stick with it. Be a blessing to that little church in every way you can. Want to freak out your pastor? Go to him and ask him, "How can I help get a children's ministry going?"
    I assure you, many pastors would give their left leg for a member to do that.

Happy helping!

In HIS service;
    Jim