1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Lordship Advocates Define Their Terms: It Comes Up Works!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have on several occasions posted my view on works. I will be glad to again. Currently I want to deal with the view of those who oppose JM based on some obscure definition fo works. If it is "basic' and "comon sense" then it should be no problem to present a scriptual definition of works. No scripture says the Trinity is defined as ..... but we can give clear scriptual support. Our explanations need to be more than just "it's basic and common sense". Such statements are weakend by the lack of scriptual support.

#41 Revmitchell, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The only thing that's important to know is it's the opposite of faith, and faith is not a work. Turning from sins is not faith, hence it's a work.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well maybe someone else who supports such a view is capable of giving scriptual support.

4. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

In comment #190 Ed Sutton demonstrated how you abuse the Scriptures by forcing meaning into them that is not there. See http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=51620&page=19 It is sin to force into or extract from the Scriptures teachings that are not there.

MacArthur says repentance is, “turning from sin...to forsake sin,” and have the “intention to obey.” In Lordship’s definition of repentance MacArthur equates the “intention to obey” God, which is intending to do good works, as co-equal with believing in Him.

This is a classic example of Lordship Salvation conditioning salvation on the promise to perform. You tried to force meaning into passages on repentance in the thread I linked to above. Likewise, the Scriptures are forced into compliance with Lordship’s change of behavior interpretation of repentance.

LS’s repentance is man-centered; it is calling on the lost man’s commitment to change his behavior FOR salvation. This is works!

LM

#44 Lou Martuneac, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

You respond to his comment requesting Scriptural support with nothing but your opinion. :tonofbricks:

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Define works Scriptually

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

With regard to salvation it is anything done by which the act imparts some form of merit to the doer.

IOW- a necessary addition along side of faith for salvation. (John 6:28-29; Rom 4)

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then why do you see faith or belief as not being a work since it is an act on our part?

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well for one because scripture declares in no uncertain terms that faith is not a work :) Scritpure divides them.

Maybe I'm not understanding you.

#49 Allan, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  10. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

I really believe that this is becoming a thread dealing with he said, you said dealing with works. Scripture clearly defines all actions on our part including faith to be in response to Grace by which we are saved. I cannot have faith unless it is given to me by conviction and response of the Holy Spirit so it then becomes a gift not a work. If my faith could save me then I would not have needed Christ sacrifice, I would only need to have faith that He was willing to die.