1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When normally does the conviction of sin occur?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Joe, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

I still don't understand the "conviction of sin" issue. I have googled it and it doesn't provide many answers, or I am not understanding them when looking them up. My questions may not make sense or sound wacky.

1. Does anyone know if the Lord sometimes chooses not to convict our past sin even if we ask over and over?

2. Should we just forget about it, and quit praying for conviction after so long? Assume it will never occur?

3. Do you all think he eventually convicts us of the larger specific sin(s) if we continue to walk with him?

4. Is it possible the reason we are not convicted is because we are suppose to confess the sin to someone else? I heard it becomes more real if it is said aloud. Or maybe it is a ploy by Satan to get me to worry about it sometimes?

5. If we are spiritually mature, then maybe there is comfort that we won't be broadsided one day with temptations because we let our guard down? Perhaps after a long while, it is ok to let our guard down and enjoy a level of comfort?

If a specific sin or sins is no longer being committed, and hasn't for a very very long time, and there really isn't really much of a temptation, I guess that should be enough. Maybe it is selfish to desire conviction, and better to be appreciative of the fact the sin was taken away. Except it seems if there isn't a conviction, then out of the blue, temptations to commit the same sin may arise again. I guess that is something none of you BBer's can predict.
    Hope this makes sense :confused:

#1 Joe, Nov 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2007
  2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Hi Joe,

I am having a little trouble understanding actually what you are getting at.
    Are your praying for forgiveness of the sin, or to be convicted? It seems to me if you know you have sinned, and feel wrong about it, and have prayed for forgiveness, you were convicted of that sin. If you weren't convicted, I doubt you would be praying about it at all. Furthermore, If you are no longer committing this sin, nor tempted any longer, I would say you had been convicted of that sin. I would just trust God's word.

3. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks Steven

Forgiveness and repentance has occurred, and no more sinning of these specific sins. I prayed & prayed and it was granted.

When other Christians describe conviction, it almost seems like something written on their heart. They really know internally what they did was wrong.

Example: If we drive 65 mph in a 55 mph, we can just slow down and decide not to speed again. Choosing not to speed must be a conviction also, though it doesn't feel wrong necessarily. I guess it can be that easy with other issues if the Lord has chosen it to be. I know it can but still question it sometimes.

#3 Joe, Nov 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  4. standingfirminChrist

The word 'convince' found only twice in the KJV means to convict fully.

If one is convinced that a certain action is sin, one has been convicted by the Holy Spirit that it is sin.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our past sins, that we have confessed and repented of and that the LORD has forgiven, are over. There is no need to ask for conviction of those sins. Are you talking about praying for yourself NOT to do them again in the future?

If so, then I would say that you should pray every morning for God's hedge of protection around you for any temptations you may face today and for Him to help you see the way of escape that He promises to provide. After you have prayed that, then move on with your day and enjoy being God's child.

Never assume that old sins won't rear their ugly heads. Sometimes they do that in the form of guilt, worry, and even reoccurence. Instead of worrying about it, take strength in the fact that God has made you a new creature and has great plans for your day. If you woke up this morning - alive - then God has something wonderful for you to do today.

God's Spirit, the Holy Spirit, convicts us of all sin.

Accountability partners are fine. You know, another person with whom you can confess and talk over your life with. But they aren't necessary for conviction to take place. It isn't more "real" when you speak it outloud. It may seem that way. I know what you are talking about. But our sins and their consequences are just as real, even if the only person who knows about it is God alone.
    .......and yes, the devil wants you to worry your head off!!!!!! :BangHead: Try reading Psalm 37. It's a great comfort to me.

To me, personally, I enjoy the highest level of peace and comfort when I know that my guard is UP!

If it has been a long time sin the specific sin and it feels like there is no conviction to stay away from it, then it is possible that there is no conviction because there is no more temptation. If God has delivered you from a sin, then you are no longer tempted by it.

But I can guarantee that if the temptation does occur again, the conviction of the Holy Spirit will be right there to show you the way of escape~

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Wonderful :praying:
    I looked up the word convict and it only appears as a legal term used as a conviction of a crime. The bible didn't tell me much more when I looked it up. Or I didn't understand what I read.

This pretty much sums it up.

Conviction took place along with repentance so I guess there is no need to worry. I'll let it rest now.

#6 Joe, Nov 24, 2007
  7. Joe

Joe New Member

I meant praying for conviction of past sins.

I don't pray for protection regarding those sins since they aren't really on my mind much.
    Yet, when new sins rear their ugly heads ... :D ...Well, good thinking

I believe what I underlined in your post to be true

Thank you Scarlett :1_grouphug:

#7 Joe, Nov 24, 2007
  8. kmichael

kmichael New Member

I believe that conviction (for one who is saved) comes in a variety of ways and for different reasons. But I can say for myself, that conviction come BEFORE I sin. It generally comes at the moment I think about sinning. Sometimes I heed the warning, other times not.

I also think that sometimes we are unaware of the HS's conviction because we are not at a place where we are listening to Him on a regualr basis.

This is my experience.

:praying: k

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Great post!

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I consider "conviction" of sin is the work of the holy Spirit, promised by Jesus. Convincing, pricking, prodding my spirit and my conscience of both wrong actions I have done and that I might be tempted to do.

I believe it functions in the conscience and in the will (moral nature of man)

11. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Conviction for sin and guilt over past sin is totally two different things. Conviction come even before we do the sin in many cases. Conviction also comes after we do the sin and it is do repent. That may include doing something to make it right if possible. However sometimes that is impossible.

Usually this is where the guilt comes in. We have truly confess the sin and are regretful over our action and then left with no way to point to atonement for what we did. Satan loves this. He then uses it too continually play the guilt trip.

The only thing that we can do is move on and let it be. We have scripture letting us know that we have been forgiven and we simply need to believe it.