1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When should a widow[er] take of the wedding ring?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greektim, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw someone I respect deal with this issue (recent widower). Since death ends the marriage, then how long should one hang on to that marriage. I don't mean to be insensitive. Certainly there is a time to grief. I'm just wondering if a person should eventually take off the ring. Υou can't put an exact time on it. But you can say that it should or should not happen, right?

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'll ask Mom. She has been widowed twice.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

It's a ring, a piece of jewelry. Some may take it off when their spouse draws his or her last breath; others may continue to wear it the rest of their lives. There is no right or wrong time to take off a wedding ring. It's like asking how many consecutive days is proper to wear a blue shirt.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My wife was fatally injured in a car-truck accident in 1991. That was July. Finally, I took off the ring in December. In between, I was still dealing with the devastating loss, and I could not bear to take it off because such a move represented a finality that I didn't want to deal with.

There is no set length of time. It's all part of the grieving process, and those of us who have suffered that loss have to deal with it the best way we can.

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was married to my former wife for 30 years... I watched her die of cancer for 3 years of the thirty. I was looking for companionship after she died, not to be married again. I guess I'm just the marrying kind cause after less than one year after her death, I tied the knot again. You know tongues were wagging as everyone thought I married too soon. Been married now for 10 years to another great Christian woman. Ten headed towards 30!God does move in mysterious ways.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good advice from Ann Landers:

why don't you mind your own business and let him handle his grief in his own way.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They should take it off when they get good and ready and not a moment before.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

...and it is nobody else's business to say when that should be.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first thought was that an older person, especially with no desire to remarry, may choose to wear it till their own death -

A person who desires to possibly engage in a new relationship should decide the best time to remove it.

A couple of folks mention it is not anyone's business..... but suppose you are asked about your opinion......?

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then it becomes your business because you were invited.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would say probably when they walk down the aisle for a new marriage. But even then, I would most likely still wear it on my right hand because my marriage is that big a part of my life.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    New marriage?!? What makes you think I would ever do that again? My heart is pledged to one woman and I for one would never break that bond....but that's me. The love carries on to eternity.

13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AS for the ring .... take it off once your remarry. As for when you should consider getting married again, if that is what you are feleling led of him to do .... Here are a few different versions of the same verse. The Bible has the answer for the never married as well as the previously married.

New International Version - "But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

New Living Translation - "But if they can't control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It's better to marry than to burn with lust."

English Standard Version - "But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

New American Standard Bible - "But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

In short ... it is far much better to marry than burn [in lust]. I hope this helps! :jesus: Tell your friend, he has our prayers as well as fondest thoughts as he deals with this spiritual dilemma!

My brother lost his wife really suddenly, and he remarried. I have another friend who lost his wife five years ago, and he is not ready to forget his wife and move on! The truth is he may never make that turn! And this is something many widow(er)s do, and it amazes me. It is up to the person, and they will know when it is right! I believe that! Shalom!

#13 righteousdude2, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm... A woman who did this just might discover that doing this would be a deal breaker for the man.

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If that would not give the church busybodies something to gossip about, I do not know what would.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We are talking about when a widow or widower should remove their wedding ring. If you are sure that you will never remarry, that is fine but not everyone ends up feeling that way after their spouse is gone. Your love doesn't change but there are some that do fall in love again. I know numerous men and women who have gone on to remarry after the death of a spouse. It is a great blessing if you can find love again.

17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither my wife or I wear a ring.

Wearing a ring is a custom, not a requirement.

If a ring comforts a spouse after their partners death, they may choose to continue wearing it.

Rob

18. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which ring? The one on my finger or the one in my nose?

19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now there's a VERY MARRIED MAN!:laugh:

#19 tyndale1946, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  20. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dad passed away in 1985. My mom never took off her wedding ring; she wore it up to the day she died (29 years). She was even buried with it, as was my dad with his wedding band.

Now as for me, I have never been a big fan of any kind of jewelry. After my wife passed away earlier this year, I wore my wedding ring for about 6 to 6 1/2 months. Now my ring, along with hers, sits on my jewelry box on my dresser; a place where I can see them both multiple times daily.