1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When to applaud and not to applaud!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    America's Fisk Jubilee Singers at the Metropolitan Tabernacle, c. 1873:

#21 Jerome, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  2. thisnumbersdisconnected

"Problematic" is not what is legalistic. Thinking applause is problematic is legalistic. This discussion is ridiculous. And the fact you can write over 2,000 words on this "issue" is a complete waste of time.

Thanks for the info, but I'll continue to applaud our choir, orchestra, soloists -- and thanks to you, my pastor is going to get a good round of applause real soon. You now have me actively looking for an excuse to do so.

God bless.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Since it's an action associated with joy more than being solemn, I certainly wouldn't expect it after a more solemn song!

If one has to think about whether it's appropriate or not, then it's rather silly to try. Praise and joy flow from a person naturally, not with a "I wonder if this is how I should react" type mentality, unless one is in a very restrictive environment where every move is questioned, which would be a scary place. I've been in those. :eek: It was nice to be unchained...

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It is a sad fact that worship is being replaced by a program or show. The choir and band and piano and organ perform. If the audience perceives that they perform well, applause, sometimes a standing ovation. If the audience perceives that they perform poorly then silence.

I love music, some classical, some country and popular of bygone years. I particularly love the older hymns. I don't like 7-11 music in a Church service. Having said that as far as I am concerned the choir should sit in the congregation and the organ, piano, and band instruments sold.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

"Having said that as far as I am concerned the choir should sit in the congregation and the organ, piano, and band instruments sold."

And, we thank you for your unbiblical opinion. The writer of many of the Psalms certainly would disagree with your position. You just don't like it because it doesn't sit well with your warped sense of what is worship and what is not.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea...me too. And never never never bring bongo & conga drums to church...PLEASE!

#26 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 11, 2013
  7. OldRegular

Scripture please! Particularly from the New Testament.

I don't recall any Scripture where a choir was a part of temple worship but I certainly stand corrected if I am wrong. All believers should be in a learning mode.

My firm belief is that God does not change. I believe I can show that by Scripture.

Malachi 3:6. For I am the LORD, I change not;

That being the case why is it that congregations have to adopt every fad that comes along. A good example is Powerpoint. If my memory is correct Powerpoint is or was a Microsoft program used to prepare information for a presentation. Yet some people act as if Powerpoint is the savior of all that is. Without Powerpoint a preacher can't preach. I hear it mention from the pulpit and in Congressional hearings; that sort of runs the gamut. Did the world really exist before cell phones, Powerpoint, rock music. I sometimes wonder if

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

To assume that I hold "that makes it wrong for the rest of them to do" is misreading the posts I made on this thread.

I merely presented the thinking and showed how applause can present as problematic.

If and only if "twangy" music brings praise to the performers as deserving, and therefore robbing such from the true worship and praise of God alone as worthy and deserving of ALL expressions of praise and esteem, should such be considered as problematic.

That some do not recognize that performances and presentations, in which the performers and presenters are praised, are indications of the shallow expectations of worship may show a lack of righteous discernment being prevalent in the modern church.

"But it feels right" is never to be used as determining what is right.

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never said they were "worshiping humans."

What I posted was that when one is "deserving" applause, it is robbing God of the praise. For it is He that is deserving of ALL praise, and All appreciaton, and ALL honor, and ALL glory, and...

I don't know? Are they?

That is the distinction between an applause and an amen.

Amen (so be it) is supposed to be used to acknowledge truth and in alignment with what is of God.

Applause has no such statement, rather is a reflection upon what the worldly approve and worldly approval.

That "amen" can be used inappropriately, or misused, does not detract from the meaning of the word.

A preacher hearing a solemn amen can understand that there is agreement and alignment with righteous truth - totally lacking by the use of applause. Applause just by the nature of the use has all kinds of interpretations and no solid meaning associated other than appreciation.

Generally speaking, amen is thought related and shows thought examination in the search of truth. Applause is emotion driven and has no true intellectual examination association.

Hope this helps.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do a thorough examination of the Scriptures from Matthew 1 through Revelation 22, there is not one reference to the use of instrumental music in the New Testament Church. Besides that, my preference is the human voice w/o instrumental embellishment. :love2:

11. OldRegular

You make several good points "agedman" and I heartedly concur. People applaud a performance. It is my humble opinion that worship is not a performance.

I will give an example. As I said earlier I love music but I could sing my heart out praising and glorifying God and I would get no applause; I singe in a monotone. Some person could come off the street, sing one of the 7-11 songs superbly, and get thunderous applause, perhaps a standing ovation for their performance!

#31 OldRegular, Dec 11, 2013
  12. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    PowerPoint is a useful tool and nice to have, but there have been times the computer was down or the projector didn't work, or the powerpoint operator was sick, and church still went on all the same. Maybe there are some churches who cancel services if the PowerPoint doesn't work, but I've never heard of that anywhere and I rather doubt it.

#32 evenifigoalone, Dec 11, 2013
  13. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use applause the same way I would use amen, and so does everyone I know at church and other Christian events. Insert applause at the same points in a sermon where you might hear an amen in other churches.
    Applause can be used to express agreement--although that's not it's only use. But it's pretty easy to tell the difference based on the circumstances in which it's used. Just as words can, usually do, have more than one meaning depending on their use.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Tradition, opinion, and personal preference does not equal the Bible. Just because it doesn't sit well with you doesn't make it wrong. You go to your stuffy old museum where everything is prim and proper and comfortable (not according to scripture but according to tradition) and I will go to church where we honor God's word.

15. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I have observed this in by gone services. Preachers sermon is on something that is a touchy subject to some people while others in the church totally agree. Each time the preacher makes a point on this subject the pro members scream a hearty AMEN BROTHER, AMEN partly just to annoy the neg. members on the subject. Also Applause and Amen can be distractive, but to some preachers they have to have this as a form of cheer leading or they couldn't preach. I have watched a lot of Bill Gaither programs on television and it seems when a singer hits a certain high note most everyone goes to clapping and jumping up shouting not for the songs sake but it's all for the singer.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yes, how sinful of them......good grief!!

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have swayed back and forth on this question. I was reared in a Southern Baptist culture in the South, where Amens were o-k, but applause was not. I've seen the resistance to applause erode over the years, though.

This is true in the church I have served for the last half-century. We have come to a place where applause of special music is routine.

Because, of my Baptist upbringing, I still feel some discomfort when I hear the applause. But, this is tempered by the knowledge that our folks believe they are affirming the message of the music--showing agreement and support.

So, bottom line, it's personal and cultural.

Would I prefer no applause? Yes

Is it a battle I want to fight? No, because I don't see any principle at stake, nor do I see any scriptural prohibition.

18. OldRegular

Perhaps you are and perhaps you are not!

19. OldRegular

That is the question. Is the applause for the performance or what?

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure it is.