1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When to applaud and not to applaud!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Dec 10, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I serve with Tom in the same church, and also feel applause is neither good or evil, but a matter of culture. While Tom was brought up in a SBC church in TN, I was raised in a PCA church in MS, and am less likely to applaud than Tom, and certainly was not brought up on the Amens. Our motto was from the verse "be still and know that I am God." Since I was brought up in a culture of a more serious note than applause, amens, and fellowship handshaking in the middle of the service, it took some time to get used to it. It seems natural now.

The only objection I would have to applause is if it takes the focus off Christ and shifts it to the singer, but doubt this happens very often.

I have to repeat this story, as it is the funniest thing I have seen at our church. Brother Tom, a few years ago, was doing to special music one Sunday. There were two visitors towards the back of the church. For whatever reason, right during the middle of the song, they got up in the aisle and started dancing. Aside from the shock so seeing a first time event in church, the look on Tom's face was priceless. I wish I had a video. I got to give credit where credit is due. He recovered from the shock in a timely manner and went on with the song without missing a beat. LOL. A couple of us got up and asked the couple nicely to sit back down for the remainder of the service.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Boy, do I remember that incident. This young couple did not believe they were doing anything wrong. But it was so out of place in our church culture that it was a big jarring.

Once SN had gently told them to be seated, they complied. But there's no question that they were culturally out of tune with us. What they did might have been perfectly acceptable in another congregation. But not ours.