1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When was I saved? Should I get re-baptized?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 4, 2014.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am apprehensive about a believer being baptized twice. I know many who have as a “rededication,”…but to me it seems to diminish the meaning of baptism. I pray that both you and I are not done growing in Christ, and will not be done in this lifetime. I think that twenty years from now we may look back and say that we saw things differently back in 2014 (at least I hope so). I guess my point is not to hesitate. Examine yourself, pray, reflect and determine your situation. If you were saved at that young age, then you have a strong testimony of growth and maturity since that time.

I hesitate to distract you with a book recommendation, but if this is something that is of great concern to you I’d recommend “Turning to God: Reclaiming Christian Conversion as Unique, Necessary, and Supernatural” by David Wells. Wells explores the differences between one who is saved from an atheistic or pagan type background and one who is saved while possessing an understanding and acceptance of biblical doctrine. In some ways the latter is more of progressive in nature, and perhaps we do not realize the precise time we (having grown up in the church) actually believe. Anyway…if you are interested and wrestle with the issue, it is a good read. But I’d recommend prayer, meditation, and speaking with a pastor if concerns persist.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yes I believed all that and we held to the essentials of the faith. The church had some Weslyian teachings and believed in some questionable doctrines, but on the essentials they were correct.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you preaching sarcasm pinoybaptist? Anyways I was baptized at age 13-14 if you read my OP.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I'm certain you don't believe their bad doctrines had any impact on your calling and election, correct?

Do you have fruit that accompanies salvation? (just asking rhetorically). I believe Hebrews 6:1-3 applies here to move on away from the elementary, no need to lay again the foundation. Again, I use this by way of application.

5. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

What a shocker, a Calvinist without assurance. This is what reformed theology does, destroys a believers assurance.

6. preacher4truth

No need to derail this into an anti-cal/arminian false doctrine thread. Go start your own thread and don't derail this one. This isn't in the Calvinist/Arminian debate forum.

But FTR, I know way more anti-cals and arminians who doubt their salvation than do the reformed. Probably due to the fact the reformed know their election and calling, and make it sure, versus the anti's and arms who make their sinners prayer and free will choice sure (which isn't in Scripture) which bases it upon them, not upon God alone.

But as I said that is for another thread so take it there not here.

7. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

That's more than likely untrue. The fact is a Calvinist can never truly know if they're elect or not and it has gotten to evan. It's sad and I hate it for him.

8. preacher4truth

Don't be sad for them, be sad for your unbiblical ideology instead.

It's more than likely true. Calvinists know they're truly elect, anti-cals and arminians depend not upon their calling and election (because they say like you that none can know they are elect, which is contrary to Scripture, i.e. you espouse unscriptural views) but upon if they framed the Finneyist sinners prayer correctly, and whether or not they free willed a choice, or whether or not they made a real human decision -- none of which is found in Scripture, and to wit these things are rejected by truth.

Calvinists on the other hand make their calling and election sure, basing the whole experience of salvation upon God, and none of it on humans or human decisionism.

9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One essential of the faith, which has been almost abandoned in Evangelical circles, is "faith alone"

I am instantly skeptical of any conversion experience that includes a "you do", including (but not limited to) a "sinner's prayer".

There are two ingredients to a proper presentation of Good News: merit & access
    Merit is found "only" in Christ's redemptive work - By Grace Alone
    Access is "only" byway of a hope fixed firmly on Christ's merit - Through Faith Alone

Many a preacher will spend a half hour on the merits of Christ, and gently lead a potential convert all the way to the cross, only to throw the man in the ditch of self effort. It goes like - "Jesus died to provide a way of salvation. Now if YOU turn from this, or pray this, or commit that, or walk here, or...then you can have eternal life

Access is not found in works any more than merit is found in works. If your "salvation" experience concluded with saying a prayer and committing your life to Christ, it could very well mean that you never were saved, and have been walking in the flesh ever since.

That was my experience from the time I was 6 until I was 28. I asked hundreds of times "what must I do to be saved?" For 22 years I was never given the scriptural answer - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31). By the time I did encounter that biblical message, I had been so indoctrinated by this notion of works access that I flatly rejected God's prescribed remedy.

I wonder how many people are raised in church under a "you do" teaching, and will be told "I never knew you". Remember that they said "Lord, haven't WE...?" (Matt 7:22)

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I did and have grown in my faith since then.

11. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother....if you were saved when you were 5 years old...or 13 years old...or 20 years old....

1. Your salvation is not in jeopardy if the church you went to didn't teach exactly what you believe today.

2. Talk to God. The Holy Spirit will testify with your spirit that you are a child of God.

3. You cannot get "re-baptized" since there is only one baptism. You are either scripturally baptized or you are not. If Holy Spirit convicts you that you need to be baptized, then get-r-done, otherwise.... don't waste any more time worrying about it.