1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When was our planet created according to Genesis 1?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But are the "water" an actual body of water, in the form of liquid water, or does it refer to a Hebrew idiom, whereby the waters refers to the unknown beyond the end of the earth (land)?

3. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I asked what day and based on what verse?

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    because we have not the wrestling with blood and flesh, but with the principalities, with the authorities, with the world-rulers of the darkness of this age, with the spiritual things of the evil in the heavenly places; Eph 6:12

And I am saying, I believe what takes place between, --- "Let there be Light" and And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. --- took place because of the spiritual warfare that was already going on in Gen 1:2 The beginning of,, the age, of Luke 20:34,35 And Jesus answering said to them, 'The sons of this age do marry and are given in marriage, but those accounted worthy to obtain that age, and the rising again that is out of the dead, neither marry, nor are they given in marriage;

Flesh and blood, especially of man and woman, would be necessary to the winning of that spiritual war.

and, confessedly, great is the secret of piety -- God was manifested in flesh, declared righteous in spirit, seen by messengers, preached among nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory! 1 Tim 3:16 YLT
    and when the fulness of time did come, God sent forth His Son, come of a woman, come under law, Gal 4:4 YLT
    he who is doing the sin, of the devil he is, because from the beginning the devil doth sin; for this was the Son of God manifested (In flesh), that he may break up the works of the devil; 1 John 3:8 YLT
    for what the law was not able to do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, His own Son having sent in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, did condemn the sin in the flesh, Rom 8:3 YLT
    Seeing, then, the children have partaken of flesh and blood, he himself also in like manner did take part of the same, that through death he might destroy him having the power of death -- that is, the devil --

Where was the devil at the moment of Genesis 1:2 and what, at that moment, was God going to do about the devil? Create man of flesh with something in the blood being the life (soul) thereof) and take the woman from the man unto the Son of God?

It is all about, spiritual warfare, between God and the devil, with man of flesh, as the means unto an end.

Victory, over the devil, through redemption of man.

IMHO

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just do not put words or views in my mouth. Quote me.

My question: Was the earth created in Genesis 1:1 or Genesis 1:9. My answer was Genesis 1:9.
    The devil was also non-existent in Genesis 1:1 as that is simply an overview of what will be presented subsequently.

When does scripture say the devil (one of God's angels) was created? Please provide a specific verse or passage.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before anyone blows a fuse, look at Genesis 2:1. So sometime during the six creation days. And concurrent with the life of Eve in the garden or before.

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 2 Peter 3:4-7

I believe that in bold was Gen 1:2 I believe the earth existed before that. I believe that underlined is a result of the foundation of the world (kosmos), post Gen 1:6-9

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your original question:
    I answered your questions. Unless one is implying the waters were prexisting, a completely arbitrary presupposition and a gross eisegesis, their sudden appearance on Day One of Creation means the waters were created on Day One.

Concerning angels: Again, Genesis is not about the creation of spirits, and if there is any truth in the common interpretation of Job 38:7 then the angels were there in the beginning.

I think you're trying to get to something. I suspect you think angels have corporeal bodies and can interbreed with humans and that you have let that idea grow into a jungle of superstition. But that's only a suspicion. How about stating plainly what you're getting at?

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's water. The deep is the total mass of the universe. From water God formed the heavens and the earth.

10. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    What verse says the waters were created on day 1?

11. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you read that God created the heaven and the earth "from" water?

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say created, I said formed. Water was the clay, the universe is the pot. And have you read Genesis 1?

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I answered this more than once. You can stop asking now.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's just take a straightforward reading of Genesis chapter one. In the beginning the deep appears. The deep is water. We know this from the meaning of the word, and the parallelism employed where it is called the waters.

Then God commanded that there would be an expanse in the center of the waters, and that it would divide the waters into two regions, those above the expanse, and those below it.

The expanse is what we call outer space. God called it heaven. (That's not to be confused with the heaven of God's dwelling place, which is quite outside this sphere.) In this space God set the sun, moon and stars. The term stars includes planets, because, like the moon, they serve as lights. Their purpose? To serve as a calendar (basically) and to shine their light on the earth.

The waters below the expanse were gathered into one place, not lots of places, and dry land appeared. The gathered waters were called seas, and the land was called earth.

There ya go. If we could send a vessel to the very boundary of space*, we would find water. That's just taking Genesis for what it says.

*Yes, yes. I'm aware of the cosmology that says the universe is unbounded (that does not mean infinite) and still expanding, but that's just the imagination of atheists trying to find some naturalistic explanation for the observations of astronomers.

15. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, rather I agree with Scripture, which says, "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth." Saying that God did not create where Scripture clearly says he did is rather blatantly anti-biblical.

The obvious answer to the OP is that God created the earth "in the beginning." If one wants to interpret that to mean on one of the six days, that might fly using certain assumptions, such as verse 2 meaning the earth was, yet not at all. However, saying that the deep and even the waters also did not yet exist seems too much of a stretch.

Thus, other possibilities seem at least as valid, even much more valid, aspects of which I and others have mentioned. You’re not obligated to accept them, and I’m not here to force such. But your posts have not refuted them—not at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When was the begining??? Remember - With God - there was no beginng......

17. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily "in the beginning". It's in v.2. Maybe that's the beginning, maybe not.

Not "appears". It is mentioned.

Right, "appeared"...because formerly submerged. It doesn't say Earth was created then.

It seems you'd rather make a point than make a point. We won't go chasing your posts to connect your thoughts.
    Unless I missed it, you never answered day and verse in the same post.

Needlessly arrogant.

Agreed 100% and confirmed by Psa 148:4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.

18. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what that’s supposed to mean. Obviously, with God there was a beginning to the heaven and the earth, at least that's what Scripture says. It’s even embedded in the name of the first book of the Bible.

Admittedly, anti-biblical scientists were loathe to adopt the “Big Bang Theory,” because it flew in the face of their belief in an eternal universe, and sounded way too much like the Genesis account. :eek:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the following.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. NKJV < What were they like?
    Isa 45:18 NKJV
    For thus says the LORD,
    Who created the heavens, < What were they like?
    Who is God,
    Who formed the earth and made it, What was it like?
    Who has established it,
    Who did not create it in vain,
    < to'-hoo - The KJV translates Strong's H8414 in the following manner: vain (4x), vanity (4x), confusion (3x), without form (2x), wilderness (2x), nought (2x), nothing (1x), empty place (1x), waste (1x)
    Who formed it to be inhabited:
    “I am the LORD, and there is no other.

Is that the way the earth was after Genesis 1:1?

Now Van said that Satan the devil did not exist at this time.

1 John 3:8 NKJV He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.
    Rev 12:9 NKJV So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Why was the Devil cast out of heaven and when was he cast out?

Acts 26:18 ‘to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.

Who is associated with darkness and who is associated with light? From 2 Cor 4:6 because it is God who said, Out of darkness light is to shine < Where was that darkness? 1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Why is God doing what he is about to do?
    What needs to be destroyed and how is God going to do this?

But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man (singular), that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man (singular), that thou visitest him? Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
    But we see Jesus (the Son of Man), who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
    Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through (the) death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

How was God going to get rid of the darkness, the devil.

While you are at it read Rev 21 relative to day and night light and darkness.

Exactly when did the spiritual war begin? Why was the devil cast to the earth?

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is all true. The heavens and the earth were made for the purpose of the cross. Yes, the angels existed before the foundation of the earth. Satan, too, in his fallen state was there before the foundation of the earth.

• Agree Agree x 1