1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When was Peter born again?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben Elohim, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You can conclude that. There is no other explanation for his obedience.

2. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Calvinism is essentially the truth of Scripture. That has been soundly demsonstrated here and no one from your side has been able to refute it.

If you read what I said, then you don't have to ask. I clearly said that you took the answer to one question and pretended it was an answer to another question. That is not a personal attack. It may well have been an innocent mistake. All I did was state the fact.

I didn't.

I have my doubts about whether these are honest questions. You have been here and have asked most of these questions before. You have seen teh answers. It is hard for me to believe that they are honest from you. Ben Elohim is making diatribes. His questions are hard to take as serious either. In any case, the answers are easy to find if you are truly interested. Start buying good books and studying.

Calvinism is not "Larry's." What I believe is what Scripture teaches. As for Spirit regeneration, just read your Bible. It talks of being "born of the Spirit." That is clear explicit proof.

I already answered that. I said basic teaching of Scripture. How then do you come and ask "who's basic teaching"? (BTW, it is "whose basic teaching.")

That is irrelevant. If you are born again, then you were born again by the Spirit. He is the one who gives life.

He has ... It is right there in his word.

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

More correctly it seems ("unable") would be more appropreate.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]No, that would in fact be incorrect. YOu know very well that I am able. I just have better stuff to do than repeat what many others have said before me. Truth is that you have been exposed to the evidence. You should already know. You have asked these questions before and apparently didn't learn then, for whatever reason.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

ok,

It was not the smartest thing in the world to bite the baited hook ... BUT, I tho't the answer would be understandable ...

SO,

What does, "When was Peter born again, have to do with Total Depravity?

And how does his regeneration relate with his "Total Depravity"?

5. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

BE SAID: So then Pastor Larry, can we conclude that you will insist that Peter was regenerate and had the Spirit when he faithfully obeyed the call of Jesus to follow him?

THEN PL SAID: You can conclude that. There is no other explanation for his obedience.

BE: May I translate what I see in your words?

"You can conclude that. There is no other explanation for his obedience that fits my Calvinist creeds."

PL: Since you insist that Peter had the Spirit when Jesus called him to follow him and you can see there is no other explanation for his obedience, then how will you explain:

But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me. (John 15:26).

Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. (John 16:7).

And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. (John 20:22).

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.... And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit.... having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this which you see and hear. (Acts 1:8-2:33).

So then, you would have us believe that Peter had received the Spirit way back when Jesus called him to follow him, then he received the Spirit again in the Upper room at John 20:22 and then he received the Spriit again at Acts 1:8?

Fuller ways and even more "fuller" ways, PL?

6. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Calvinists believe you must be regenerated before you can believe and obey God because they say that one simply cannot believe God due to their "Total Depravity." Peter is just one example that illustrates this doctrine is completely incorrect and you will note in the thread immediately above.

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

As I already said, you are confused about the many roles of the Holy Spirit. Your failure to study that doctrine has led to your obvious mistakes in this. Please take the time to study it through.

The Bible teaches that unsaved man cannot understand the things of God and cannot please him. Only when God opens their spiritual eyes can they see and respond. You don't have to call that regeneration. You may call it whatever you like, but that is the plain teaching of Scripture. As Christ said in Matt 16, the only reason that Peter recognized Jesus as Christ the Son of the living God (a necessary recognition for salvation) was because God had revealed it to him. That is regeneration.

To be honest, you are presenting among the weakest arguments that have ever been presented here. You are bringing absolutely nothing to the table. It is not even challenging ... Are you seriously convinced by your arguments, or are you just playing the devil's advocate?

8. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Well since you have all the answers PL, it should be no trouble for you to proudly teach us your knowledge here today.

Since you insist that Peter had the Spirit when Jesus called him to follow him and you can see there is no other explanation for his obedience, then how will you explain:

But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me. (John 15:26).

Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. (John 16:7).

And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. (John 20:22).

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.... And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit.... having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this which you see and hear. (Acts 1:8-2:33).

So then, you would have us believe that Peter had received the Spirit way back when Jesus called him to follow him, then he received the Spirit again in the Upper room at John 20:22 and then he received the Spriit again at Acts 1:8?

Fuller ways and even more "fuller" ways, PL?

Ready to answer the questions yet PL?

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Because those are references to the work of the Spirit in revelation and inspiration, as well as the other functions such as baptism, sealing, etc.

I am always ready to answer questions. But if you ask them, be prepared to get them. But most of the questions you are asking can be readily attained by simple study. You need to put some time in that.

10. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Oh I am well aware that you are quite capable of dreaming up answers as you go along PL. I just thought you might actually come to realize that dreaming up answers has very little to do with searching for the truth in the Scriptures.

Well PL, you seem to be avoiding the question here and resort to vague verbiage. Since you claim that Peter had the Spirit well before Matthew 16:17, please explain what happened to Peter spiritually:

1. At Matthew 16:17
    2. At John 20:22
    3: At Acts 1-2

And why do you deny the extremely plain testimony of Jesus where he said to Peter that the Spirit WOULD NOT come to him unless he first went away? And why do you deny the plain words "RECEIVE the Spirit at John 20:22? Is your Calvinist creed more important than the words of Jesus? Just who is your god? Jesus? Or TULIP?

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have patiently tried to answer your questions. I have encouraged you to study. I have avoided no question. I have simply indicated that your knowledge of the doctrine of the Holy Spirit is lacking and therefore you are confused about these things. The transitional time between the old and new dispensations is a time of change as the Holy Spirit takes on new roles in addition to regeneration. It will be in your best interests to quit making ridiculous charges, quit asking the same questions time and time again, and study the answers you are getting.

This smacks of not being an honest discussion. And that is troubling.

12. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

PL, people are not stupid. When you say things like "I have avoided no question," we all know you are saying this because you have avoided a direct answer to my questions but you really wish that everyone would believe otherwise.

PL, it is plain that you are avoiding the question here and resorting to this kind of thing because of the implications of your own statements about Peter, regeneration and the Holy Spirit. Since you claim that Peter had the Spirit well before Matthew 16:17, please explain what happened to Peter spiritually:

1. At Matthew 16:17
    2. At John 20:22
    3: At Acts 1-2

And why do you deny the extremely plain testimony of Jesus where he said to Peter that the Spirit WOULD NOT come to him unless he first went away? And why do you deny the plain words "RECEIVE the Spirit at John 20:22? Is your Calvinist creed more important than the words of Jesus? Just who is your god? Jesus? Or TULIP?

13. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Larry
    So why even bother with your coments at all? When all your willing to do is nit pic my gramar and make demeaning coments about me.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have reason to question that statement ... but it isn't a biblical reason.

So I say I haven't avoided a question because I have avoided a question? That makes no sense. The reason that I said I hadn't avoided a question is because I haven't. I mean what I say.

What question did I avoid?

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

If you don't bother with my posts, that is fine with me. But if you do bother with them, don't make stuff up. When you said I was unable to do something, you were wrong, and you know that you were wrong. YOu have been here long enough to know that I can support my position. You disagree with the support, and that is fine. YOu will answer to God for that, just as I will. But don't make stuff up. Don't accuse me of something that isn't true.

I didn't nit pick your grammar. I pointed it out in hopes of clarification and help for the future. I had to read your statement several times to figure it out because what you meant was not what you said. You used a possessive rather than a noun and verb. It confused the meaning of the sentence and I didn't want others to be confused as well.

And I have made no demeaning comments about you. You have said things about me far worse than any I have said about you. And quite frankly, I don't really care. Just don't make personal attacks. I refuse to and expect it from others.

He already has in his word.

16. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Matt 16 ... nothing. It was a prior act of the Spirit in regeneration that enabled the comment of Matthes 16. At John 20, it was likely a special empowerment given to the apostles for service headed into the church age. At Acts 1-2, it was Spirit baptism.

So you claim that Jesus really meant, "Receive a special empowerment of the Holy Spirit" at John 20:22. Let me add these words to my Bible here... just a minute... okay done.

And you also claim Jesus meant that if he did not go away the "special empowerment" would not come to them, right?

What exactly is Spirit baptism PL?

And what is that receiving the gift of the HS at Acts 2:38 all about?

Funny thing just happened here PL and you didn't even realize it.

You have just COMPLETELY talked your way out of having absolutely ANY evidence at all for OT regeneration.

Step up to the plate PL. Where is your evidence that ANYONE in the OT was regenerate?

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

First, learn to use the quote feature. It helps to distinguish you words from those who are citing. Click on the link beside the reply box that says UBB Code is enabled. It will teach you how.

Silly nonsense. I didn't add anything to Scripture. I told you what I believe it means. It quite clearly is not hte initial reception of hte Holy Spirit.

Actually, there are sevearl things involved in that, including Spirit baptism, inspiration, sealing, etc.

The judicial, non-experiential work of the Spirit by which believers are placed into the body of Christ (1 Cor 13:12).

That takes place at the moment of salvation, which is why Peter had the Spirit prior to the passages you list.

Funny thing is .. and you don't realize it ... that you are not making any sense. None of what you have said even remotely calls into question OT regeneration. I am not sure that you even believe that you have questioned it.

1) the fact that Nicodemus was supposed to have known about regeneration from the OT.
    2) the fact that people followed God in faith. Without regeneration, there is no explanation for that.

18. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

1. So we are to believe you when you say that the words "Receive the Holy Spirit" at John 20:22 do NOT mean the disciples received the Holy Spirit right?

2. And we are to believe that when Jesus told the disciples that the Spirit would not come to them until he went away, it does NOT mean that the Spirit would not come to them but some other stuff the Spirit would do, right?

3. And we are to believe you when you say that our new birth is NOT being transferred into the body of Christ right PL?

4. And your only evidence for OT regeneration is:

a) that Nicodemus should have known how that works
    b) that it has to be this way to suit your notion of Total Depravity

Is that correct?

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I didn't say that, and you know it.

A gross and unaceptable misrepresentation of what I said.

I didn't say that either, and you know it.

No, that is incorrect.

20. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Oh please do illustrate how I misprepresented what you said PL. It should be interesting.

And provide all your other evidence of OT regeneration too okay?