1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When was the jailer regenerated (born-again)?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 28, 2011.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having no Greek skills whatsoever, I would be interested to know what you see in the translation of the verse that questions any 'spiritual' significance to the jailers question. Not disputing you at all, just would like to know what you see (or don't). :)

This is an assumption. I'm of the assumption that the jailer DID have a 'spiritual' interest because he had NEVER before seen such great faith and joy that Paul and Silas were exhibiting under such adverse conditions, and was deeply impressed and moved by by it. The earthquake, destruction to the jail, and subsequent fear for his life would have been 'the straw that broke the camel's back' which drove him to Christ, jmho.

Again, I have no Greek skills, but I totally agree with this. 'Sōzō', translated 'save' (read deliver), is ingrained in most minds to always carry eternal significance and is mistakenly believed to be always synonymous with the birth from above or the acquiring of eternal life. It is not.

I believe the jailer knew enough about this religion of Paul and Silas to have connected that word 'saved' to describe a devotee of the religion of Jesus Christ. IMO, to paraphrase the jailer's question:

“Sirs, what must I do to join this religion (and have this great joy and confidence that you have)?”

I seriously doubt that 'saved from eternity burning in hell' was on his mind.

2. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [sigh] It figures.

'Other Christian Denominations' is a good active forum. They could use a sound 'DoG' like you there.

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I see it now, Thanks, so I guess that means I cannot post in this section since I am not baptist, no problem I will not post in it anymore.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check out 'Other Christian Denominations' forum. I think you'll like it. [edit] I see you've already been posting there. Good.

#64 kyredneck, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With respect, I don't think your view holds water. It may certainly be true that sozo refers to physical salvation in 99% of pagan Greek litetature- that is hardly a surprise; but it is not the case in the NT.

In the case of the jailor, Paul had already reassured him about his physical salvation (Acts 16:28), but he had seen the faith of Paul and Silas, and the miraculous power of God. He had been convicted of his sinful state and was inquiring about his soul. If not, Paul's reply would have been highly misleading to him. Faith in Christ is not necessarily a protection against physical death.

No, the context indicates that Paul correctly interpreted the jailor's words as an inquiry about spiritual salvation and counselled him accordingly.

Steve

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have defined salvation is by works.

The word faith in Mat.23:23 has an article in front of it, making it refer to "the faith." The obligation of the Pharisees were to teach "the faith," which they had omitted. For this they were being rebuked.
    Vine's Word Studies translates the word as "faithfulness," not faith. This also is a work, and not faith, as "faith" in God. Either way, Jesus was not referring to faith as in belief or confidence. Faith is not a work.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The jailer beat Paul and Silvanus
    The jailer imprisoned them
    The jailer went to sleep
    The jailer was awakened in the earthquake
    The jailer considered suicide
    The jailer was TOLD no one escaped
    The jailer brought in lights (to SEE what happened)
    The jailer fell shaking in front of the vocal prisoner Paul
    The jailer who had been TOLD asked of deliverance
    Paul twisted the conversation to the Lord

Seems pretty straightforward. Phillipi was a free Roman city for soldiers who, after serving the full enlistment, were given land. Most scholars assume the jailer to be such a soldier, perhaps finishing his term. Knew about authority; no inkling of ANY spiritual knowledge whatsoever. Had not heard singing, etc (he was asleep). He wanted to be saved PHYSICALLY.

Heard an evangelist say he always went to Shell Gas stations. Would ask the attendant "What is the name of this company?"
    "Shell"
    Then ask, "What if you took off the first letter?"
    "Hell"
    "That is where you are headed if you don't repent"

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting contrast:

Calvin, Commentary:

"he showeth himself obedient to God, and desirous of sound and wholesome doctrine. He demandeth how he may obtain salvation"

9. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

When the Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" he was not speaking of physical salvation.

He previously was going to kill himself because he supposed that prisoner's had escaped. Paul and Silas assured him that not one had escaped the custody of the jailer when they said, "Do thyself no harm, for we are all here."

The jailer had no need to fear for his physical safety, for he was in no jeopardy of being killed. Paul's answer was an answer of hope.

This brought conviction to the jailer's heart as evidenced by the jailer's next statement, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And the answer was "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

It was definitely a spiritual Salvation the jailer was seeking and it was definitely a spiritual Salvation that was imparted to him once he trusted Christ.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't think so:

22 And the multitude rose up together against them, and the magistrates having torn their garments from them, were commanding to beat them with rods,
    23 many blows also having laid upon them, they cast them to prison, having given charge to the jailor to keep them safely,
    35 And day having come, the magistrates sent the rod-bearers, saying, `Let those men go;`
    36 and the jailor told these words unto Paul -- `The magistrates have sent, that ye may be let go; now, therefore, having gone forth go on in peace;`
    37 and Paul said to them, `Having beaten us publicly uncondemned -- men, Romans being -- they did cast us to prison, and now privately do they cast us forth! why no! but having come themselves, let them bring us forth.` Acts 16 YLT

I'd put my money on the 'rod-bearers' (sergeants) being the ones that did the beating, not the jailer.

#70 kyredneck, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

SteadfastFred...

This is precisely how I have always taken that passage.

Of course the jailer was worried about his physical welfare...at 1st. But as the entire encounter played out, spiritual conviction took place, and before long he was concerned with things much more important then what he was concerned about at 1st.

Praise God.

12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Well, if one is already a Christian, than what need is there to proclaim to them what already saved him?

Think jailor perfect example of how God works in both inward/outward means/providental timing...

heard /saw/ God stirred his soul and mind to prompt the question, and Paul "just happened" to be one there to give him the answer!

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Was the jailer that worried about his physical life? Then why was he going to kill himself with his own sword? Perhaps he was afraid he would be abused and tortured, or executed in a prolonged and painful way for allowing prisoners to escape. Perhaps it would be better to die quickly, that is the impression I get from the story.

But there is more to the story than that. I believe the jailer had some knowledge of Paul and Silas, they had caused a riot in the city. Paul had been preaching for sometime in Philippi, so it is not a stretch to believe the jailer might have heard of this strange new doctrine they were teaching. It was probably the buzz of the city. It certainly became top news when Paul cast the spirit of divination out of the damsel that had been annoying him. This started a real riot. He had probably heard all about the spirit being cast out of the girl.

When the earthquake opened the doors and loosed each man's bands, he was concerned that the prisoners had escaped as that was his duty, but I believe the earthquake also convinced him that Paul and Silas were no ordinary men, and that God had caused the earthquake to free them. It would be pretty terrifying to believe you were persecuting God's servants.

So, I believe he burst in in true humility and fear, wanting to know and understand this doctrine and how he could be saved.