1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When were you saved ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Jan 4, 2014.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. 'Saved' or 'salvation' is not a one time event, it is an ongoing process throughout the believer's life.

#41 kyredneck, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Nope. You're referring to sanctification, which is progressive, growing in Christ in holiness, grace and love. Salvation occurs when the Holy Spirit indwells.

Ephesians 1, (NASB)
    13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation - having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
    14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory. [Emphasis added]
    He is a downpayment to God's promised redemption. By the "contract" of the Spirit's indwelling, the deal is sealed, and God is not a man that He should lie, or renege on His promise.

To believe salvation is "ongoing" is to believe it can be lost. Nonsense.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    for the word of the cross to those indeed perishing is foolishness, and to us -- those being saved -- it is the power of God, 1 Cor 1:18 YLT

'Those being saved' and 'those perishing' is a continuing process, not a one time event.

Take heed to thyself, and to thy teaching. Continue in these things; for in doing this thou shalt save both thyself and them that hear thee. 1 Tim 4:16

Are we to believe that Timothy was not yet 'saved'? Or those that he preached to? No, it indicates that salvation is an ongoing experience, not a one time event.

.....work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who worketh in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure. Phil 2:12,13

Again, 'working out your salvation' not only indicates an ongoing process, but also a personal experience between one and God.

As far as 'losing' this salvation, what did the one in 1 Cor 5:5 lose, and yet retain?:

'to deliver such a one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.'

As a PB, I will tell you that he had lost his 'temporal salvation' but was still yet 'eternally saved'.

#43 kyredneck, Jan 6, 2014
  4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the 'one time event':

who were born....of God. Jn 1:13

.... born of the Spirit. Jn 3:8

....'born from above' is not the same as 'gospel salvation'.

#44 kyredneck, Jan 6, 2014
  5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are posting the same verses as an SDA in the Other Denominations Forum, who is against OSAS, and believes one can lose his salvation. Those are the verses he uses to support his position.

Many of them are out of context. For example:
    Take heed to thyself, and to thy teaching. Continue in these things; for in doing this thou shalt save both thyself and them that hear thee. 1 Tim 4:16
    Paul is writing to Timothy. He is the pastor of the church at Ephesus, and this is a pastoral epistle.
    He is speaking to Timothy as a pastor, and here he refers to his congregation as well. He is not referring to spiritual salvation. Timothy already is saved and cannot lose eternal life. It is the gift of God (Rom.6:23). However he can save himself from destruction in the ministry (from being put on the shelf (1Cor.9:27), and his congregation from spiritual destruction. God forbid that any man of God should not pay attention to the Word of God or neglect it to the detriment of his own flock.
    Why would he deliberately starve his sheep, he being the shepherd? This is what Paul is referring to here--not Timothy's salvation.

The other verses mentioned also have other explanations than what you imply. The gift of God is eternal life. When Christ said "I give unto you eternal life and you shall never perish," he wasn't lying.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

How many times did your mother give birth to you?
    Was it a one-time event?
    So is salvation a one-time event.

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, get off of it. I'm no heretic. And you're not paying attention, in no way have I denied preservation of the Saints. The man in 1 Cor 5:5 (even though he was granted repentance and restored later), he LOST something. What was it? He was still heaven bound, but at that moment in time he had a major loss. What was it?

(and this will boil down to use of different descriptive 'terms', some will say he simply lost 'fellowship' with the Lord, me, as a Primitive Baptist would describe it as losing his 'temporal salvation', probably synonymous with losing 'the joy of one's salvation' as David did (anyway Satan destroying your flesh doesn't sound good at all))

Yes, I know. He is not referring to ETERNAL salvation.

Yes, I know. Timothy was already 'eternally saved'.

Yes, I know. It's about 'deliverance' from temporal matters, not eternal ones.

Yes, exactly. It's not about Timothy's eternal salvation, it concerns his deliverance here in this temporal realm.

No, I understand exactly what I meant, it's simply that you haven't followed at all. That word 'saved' really stoves you up doesn't it? You have to discern from the context whether it's referring to eternal salvation or temporal deliverance.

AMEN!

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The immoral man in Acts 5 lost his fellowship with God, and it was serious enough that he lost fellowship with the people of God for he was disciplined out of the church. Because of the church taking that action he later repented and was brought back into the fold. That is how biblical discipline is supposed to work. There is no loss of salvation. The only loss was a loss of fellowship; the same which is talked about by John in 1John 1:9. It is the very reason we must confess our sins on a day by day basis.

Brother, I know you are no heretic, but why then use these verses in the context you did:
    You just referred to 1Tim.4:16 as a continuing process in the context of salvation, and then in the next post denied it. The SDA that I am talking to doesn't deny it. It is one of his proof texts. You can see why I would be confused when you post this verse side by side with a statement that states salvation is a continuing process.

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I was saved on May 18, 1963 as a 17-year-old. Becoming born again is NOT a gradual process, while becoming sanctified and Spirit-filled can be.

For example: The man in the temple who called on God and said, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." It says that he went home justified rather than the boastful Pharisee who bragged to God about all his accomplishments, good deeds and great works. The thief on the cross didn't have any time to live for the Lord and do works to show that he was forgiven and saved when he spoke to Jesus on the cross and said, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom." Jesus told him, ""Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise."

While we're told that we are to live by faith and not by sight or feelings, I LITERALLY felt my burden of sin being lifted off of my shoulders when I called on the Lord and asked for forgiveness and salvation.

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I believe God reveals in time to the elect sinner what he has done in eternity, Eph 1:4 According as he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world. In Gods mind I was saved when he chose me. When Christ Jesus went to the cross and put away my sin by the sacrifice of himself and his blood atoned for my sin, in Christ death I was saved. And then when it pleased God, who separated me from my mothers womb, and called me by his grace, to reveal his son in me, this was the day I was saved in my own mind.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Salzer, that was a good common sence way to explain it. I will have to use that explaination in the futute.:thumbs:

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a similar experience pb, I was given a NT in boot camp (I was Catholic but they had run out of missals). It was a year later when I had a compulsion to read it. Finished it, bought a whole Bible, couldn't put it down though the OT condemned me. Going back through the NT, I was awakened in the Gospel of John when I realized He was my Lord and my God and my Savior.

Particularly these verses (among others):

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.​

John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? (At this point I said an audible - yes).​

And my life changed. The other men were saying "oh oh, Hank got religion".​

HankD​

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The year was 1947. I was nine. My family had moved to a neighborhood around the block from North Jackson (Tennessee) Baptist church two years earlier. That's where my parents sent me. Dad was unsaved, Mom was inactive. I loved going there. Lots of schoolmates were there, and the adults sort of adopted me.

I heard a bunch of Sunday School lessons, a bunch of sermons. I heard about sin, heaven and hell. Went to revivals, heard more of the same.

One Sunday morning, something happened. All those sermons came crashing in on me. I know now that the Holy Spirit opened my eyes, convicted me of my sin and its consequences. Frankly, it scared me to death. I was a sinner, under condemnation.

The Spirit reminded me all those invitations to repent, to trust Christ, to turn to Him for salvation. Now they applied to me. Down the aisle I went. My pastor asked me some questions to determine my understanding of what was going on. He concluded that this was a genuine conversion experience.

That was the day the Lord saved me. All I know is that he changed me.

It was all His work. He illuminated my mind, convicted my heart, regenerated my soul, drew me to Himself, and motivated me to repentance and faith in Him.

That was 67 years ago. I'm still a work in progress.

By the way, my mother joined that church the day I was baptized, and became active. The Lord saved my father a year later.

#53 Tom Butler, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  14. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

That's great, thanks for sharing. Perhaps some don't like to admit it, but I'm guessing that many many persons have 'walked the aisle'.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Simply theatre.

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Not really or all the time, many sheep have walked an aisle to announce their salvation. I don't preach that, but it's nonetheless true, God will even use a Finneyist preacher to reach His elect. Going down the aisle upfront doesn't negate the working of God to save His own.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good discussion. I've been out of pocket in Mexico, then in lines at airports.

Not going to move this as our salvation topic and ALL the aspects of such belong in a more general setting.

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you were doing great explaining what gospel salvation was, until you got to that phrase with the word I bolded and underlined. when a teacher erroneously teaches then he is perishing in his ministry, and his congregation along with him, here in time.
    same principle as in 1 Corinthians 5:5
    flesh destroyed, spirit preserved.
    same principle as 1 Cor. 3:12
    the work of Christ is indestructible, which is the redemption of the soul that He finished.
    how we build on that work here in time, is another thing.

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I understand any skepticism. I get nervous when someone's testimony is "I walked the aisle..."

But on that day, there was no manipulation. No "come to Christ." No "take that step of faith."

Looking back, my pastor, Ralph Kerley, was very perceptive. He asked me questions.
    Do you understand that you are a sinner?
    Do you understand the penalty for sin?
    Do repent of your sin?
    Do you trust Christ and Him only for salvation?

There was no Roman Road. There was no sinner's prayer. Simply, do you understand? Do you repent? Do you trust Christ for salvation.

I'm convinced that by the time I headed down that aisle to see my pastor, the Holy Spirit had already changed me. Or else I would not have gone in the first place.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

By spiritual destruction I did not mean any loss of salvation. I believe the word destruction can be taken more than one way. The sheep are being destroyed when they are being starved or underfed. They won't be lost, but they won't mature either. I didn't grow too much as a Christian for the first two years after I was saved because I wasn't a member of a local church and did not sit under the preaching of the Word. I was fairly isolated in the occupation I had and the people that had led me to the Lord never put any emphasis on the local church in the first place.
    But after the Lord led me to a local church then I began to grow and mature as a Christian ought to. It is important for a pastor to be in the Word and to feed his people the Word.