1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Are All the Young Leaders in the SBC?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 5, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Burleson" is the correct spelling

#21 Revmitchell, May 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Allan,

Of course you're right if a double standard doesn't mean anything to you when it comes to Doctrine.

I think Southern Baptist Institutions, especially our Mission Boards, should be above reproach. Speaking in Tongues has never been a characteristic mainstream Southern Baptist position and a person who speaks in tongues should not be President of one of our agencies.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Speaking in tongues is not something that determines if a person is qualified to serve as president of the IMB or of the SBC. It is a tertiary matter and is regarding doctrine. If you define a baptist as one who does not speak in tongues you need to go back and review what constitutes a baptist. Though it does not specifically state a baptist is one who does not speak in tongues, it was and is a matter which necessarly seperated us from the Charismatics though not a primary one. Is tongues an issue? Yes, but it isn't in the primary or secondary sense. Does it need to be addressed some more so as to flesh out better where SBC as whole stands on the issue? Yes. But to superimpose your personal view does make for a double standard. What was set as policy is for those who 'will be' sent into the mission field. Contrary to your personal opinion it isn't a double standard on doctrine, since it is not a doctrine fleshed out fully by the SBC. This is simply in keeping with the commonly held view of the SBC relating to new churches that are comming up.

I agree this is or at least should be a time where the SBC needs to address again certain issues coming into the association, define certain aspects and views without making a noose for ourselves, to allow for 'cooporation' with those who are like minded in faith and practice without dividing the unity of Christ in His believers. (thus the C/A thing should not be a divider since many of the early founders did not think it so - but they had a better understanding of each others views then than most do today).

#23 Allan, May 6, 2008
  4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Now we return to our regularly schedule thread.

Coupla questions, please.

Who are these supposedly missing young leaders? Who decided that they were leaders (outside their chiurches, of course)? Did they just one day say, "I'm going to be a leader?"

How did they become leaders? How about, "Oh, he has a blog, he says some provocative things, he's articulate, obviously intellectually gifted, and oh by the way, he really can bash Paige Patterson."

And if they're missing from our family get-togethers, missing from the family arguments, missing from SBC work, sniping from outside, then how than they be called our leaders?

Well, that's more than a couple of questions. Now, this is not to say what the bloggers are writing is not true. But anybody can start a blog. That doesn't necessarily make them a leader.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Neither does badmouthing godly men to the secular press as does the owner of the blog in the op.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not only are the things you mentioned true but the IMB will not appoint a person to their own country. For example if a seminary student chooses to go back to their own country after their studies, the IMB will not appoint a native of that country but will support the same person if they choose to go to a country that is not their native homeland.

A person who studies in this country and is a native of Haiti will not be appointed to go to Haiti but the IMB will support an American to that country.

I am aware of a church imn America that sends a person from this country to get things started and then supports the native in their own country. It is much better and cheaper.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They do not need help like those at http://www.abpnews.com/www/3157.article

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

Proof?

Didn't think so!

The IMB does not choose for you where you will go and you just follow along, but where you feel called by God to go that is the area to which they will begin training you.

However many are not called to their homeland to do missionary work and that is true. That is one reason they try to use only natives in Pastoring and planting churches through the cordination and or cooporation of the missionaries.

You REALLY need to get your facts straight. Your attempts to mislead and misrepresent are not only unbecoming of a Christian (which is what the world sees) but is shameful regarding a Child of God (what believers see).

#28 Allan, May 6, 2008
  9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Filing ungodly lawsiuts to gain control of the church. They need to be ousted to be sure.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That makes about as much sense as someone saying that many are not called to serve in America and that is true. Some who come to this country to attend a seminary do desire to return to their own country and plant churches. However the IMB does not and will not support them. That is the fact. Do you have some recent knowledge that suggests otherwise? It wasn’t but just a few years ago that I spoke with some in the SBC about this matter and what told what I wrote earlier.
    It might help to read what I actually wrote first instead of assuming what you think I wrote. Can you give just one example of any native who is supported financially in their native homeland by the SBC?

Your attempt to twist what I actually wrote demonstrates your lack of understanding English. I have been involved in the planting of two and replanting of one SBC church in the US. Several of my friends are now or were SBC missionaries with the IMB in foreign lands. Are you suggesting that some SBC leaders I have spoken with about the matter, some of my friends, and with some of my professors at SWBTS lied to me? Are you suggesting that a friend of mine who asked the IMB in 1996 about going back to his home country as a church planter/missionary was wrong when he was told the same thing by the IMB? Some of my professors at SWBTS who were former missionaries told the class the same thing. Are they wrong too?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who will oust the SBC fighters in MO who are suing one another?

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of it is ungodly. And a reproach on the Church.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is that so many are watching and doing nothing. Those who do something are criticized as troublemakers in the denomination. It is conformity at all costs and image protection.

The political parties and their politicians need to stop and get down to what God has called them to do. I believe the problem is that the politicians are not really very good examples and if challenged their fruit is nothing more than what Peter did by cutting off the man's ear.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is just wierd. Who is doing something? Who do you think should be doing something? Peter cutting off a man's ear? What?

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

To put the issue to rest I contacted the IMB and asked them to validate your assumptional cliams as true or false. When I receive the e-mail back I will post it.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've heard of SBC missionaries ministering in their home country.

17. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

The international mission board of the SBC is a perfect institution. There are no problems. Everything is fine.

Case closed - no more discussion and debate necessary.

:laugh:

18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

If it is organized and run by people....there will always be problems.

If it is organized and run like a political party...eventually people will leave it.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Who are these young leaders and where have they gone? What young leaders have spoken about this, and what have they said? And do they themselves consider themselves 'leaders', aren't we all to be servants.

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess I'd fall into the category of a young minister in the SBC (I am in my mid-20s and a minister is the SBC.)

I have no desire to be part of the denominational leadership. Honestly, I'm too busy doing the mission of God amongst the people where I live, work, and play to be worried about some bloated and obsolete denominational superstructure.

The SBC is a great denom that is passionate about reaching the unchurched (we would disagree on terms I guess) and I love that about my home denom. Yet we have become too mired in theological conquest and rebombing the same captured territory. I'll be a Southern Baptist till I go home to see Jesus...but I don't care about the leadership. It is anathema to what I am doing in my local church.

I pray and hope the best, but can't get hampered in my daily ministry. :)