1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where did GOD come from ?.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by CYBERDOVE, Feb 3, 2005.

1. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

Hi, I am new on the BB so if this question has been repeatedly asked before please forgive me for asking it again. I once had a Pastor explain to me that before GOD was known as GOD, before creation, that HE was a "THESIS", and that HE always was. HE [THE THESIS} decided to create this universe and become GOD, and a GOOD GOD at that. Becoming a GOOD GOD meant that the opposite has to be true, so there was evil. When I asked where did the "THESIS" come from I was told HE always was. I do not claim to understand all of this and maybe it is one of the mysteries we will understand when we see OUR LORD face to face, however I would like to know if anyone ever heard of this also and talk about it. I want to make it perfectly clear that I am a Bible believing Baptist and if the WORD says so I believe, not knowing where GOD came from does not shake my faith. I would like to have A good answer for those who do not believe as I do, when they ask this question.----thanks [​IMG]

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard of THESIS; just always accepted, on faith, that God always WAS and IS.

I cannot comprehend a concept like "eternity", past OR future, so I just accept that He IS and WAS, and WILL BE!

Whew! 'Pears as how you're make us think with your posts. :D [​IMG]

3. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

The THESIS reminds me of a cultic teaching of the mormons so I would not read into or adhere that belief. There is no scripture that in any way supports that and is just imagination at its best or worst... The problem with asking where God came from is a thought of physical mentality. We think that all things must have a start becase we live in the realm of time. We are time based creatures. We have a start, a middle and a finish. God exists outside of time as he created time. in Eternity there will be no concept of time. God exists in eternity. I have always imagined that God sees the world as a timeline, he stands outside this time line and sees the start, middle and finish all at once, like looking at a filmstrip. This I get from imagination of the statement, before Abraham was ,I AM. Either way, God is not confined to time and is not confined to creation. When we exit this world we will understand that the thought of creation itself was something created by God. God exists beyond the concept of creation. God did not come from anywhere he just always was and was always God.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I look up into the stars at night and think about how space goes forever, how could it end or where could it begin and then if I said I had the answer and called it a THESIS, would you believe it?

Something you can't explain, but you know it's there. Heaven ought to be an interesting place if we get to understand things like that.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Saying there was this THESIS that became God implies that God had a beginning or that his nature changed. This is definitely against what God's word tells us - that God is eternal (has no beginning or end) and that He is unchanging.

I would reject this teaching completely. It has not biblical basis.

6. sammy19621

sammy19621 New Member

GOD, has always been and always will be GOD. We just have to accept it on faith.

7. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Amen, whole-hearted agreement here.

8. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Agree. CyberDove, as GodzThunder said above, God is transcendent to His creation, that is He exists outside of it, outside the time/space continuum we are familiar with. That is true even though His creation is still expanding. It is also true that He is imminent within His creation, everywhere at once, and upholds it with His Being.

God could, in theory, speak the command and the universe could implode into nothing, I guess. The point is, if He did so, He would still be the same exactly as before, during, and after the creation - the great I AM. Before creation, I AM. Yesterday, I AM. Today and tommorow, I AM. A trillion years from now, I AM. In eternity future, I AM.

That was why when Jesus told the Jews, "Before Abraham was, I AM", they tried to stone Him because they understood He was telling them that He existed in eternity past, and that He was God Almighty in the flesh.

Hope that helps.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

The bible says God never changes. He is right now as He has always been, He has never been anything but what He is now, God. God never changes.
    I'm not sure where a 'pastor' would get this from, but it certainly isn't the bible. This should be rejected as false because biblically it is.

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Amen to above.

God is the Eternal Self-Existent One, the I Am, Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come, and He has never changed and will never change.

Are you sure the Pastor used the word "THESIS"? Is it possible the word he used was "THEOS", the Greek word for God? Either way, if Pastor says God changes better keep a VERY close eye on him...

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good post Ivey League.

"I AM" - full stop - end of story.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

No "THESIS" here.

HankD

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider this: For anything to NOW exist, someone has had to have ALWAYS existed...someone with the ability to have made everything else.

14. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

I want to thank all of you guys for all of your input on the matter.I have left that church far behind me about a decade ago, for more than one reason,one was there was to much pomp and circumstance going on. Since then I have found a new church home. However I have found it hard to explain to non believers when asked this question. All of your posts have helped me alot and I find robycop3 reply very good for non believers, who would not listen to Bible quotations----' Consider this: For anything to NOW exist, someone has had to have ALWAYS existed...someone with the ability to have made everything else'.... I am pretty sure the pastor had said THESIS and not THEOS, though I no longer have my notes, he had wrote it on the board in our classroom. We questioned the pastor for a while about it but never got a clear enough answer, at least not for me. I would like to ask another question----'ELOHIM'--one of the names of GOD in the OLD TESTAMENT is this THE TRINITY speaking, HE refers to HIMSELF as US?---thanks [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, in Genesis 1:26
    And God (Elohim) said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth

And Genesis 3:22
    22 And the LORD (YHVH) God (Elohim) said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

HankD

16. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Your pastor was teaching heresy. If God had an origin then He is not God. [​IMG]

17. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

[​IMG] Ps 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. Ps 93:2 Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.
    Isa 63:16 Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting.
    Mic 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

That about sums it up, God is, has always been, and always will be, God. [​IMG] [​IMG]