1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where did the Lord Condemn ALL drinking of alcohol in Bible?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, May 28, 2013.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I know of no one on here that has condoned being drunk. no one. Every one of these verses teach against being drunk, none condemn alcohol altogether.

No one on here has done that. (untruth #1)
    Calvinist don't teach that (untruth #2)
    No, Calvinist believe we are ordained to good works, thats just being biblical. Untruth #3
    untruth #4 No one on here has taught against the "practice of drunkenness" If you can find one, please show it. But of course you cannot not.

So, you lied 4 times in these two posts. There are no verses that condemn drinking Alcohol(btw, I don't drink), yet there are plenty of verses that teach against lying. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't give you the right to lie about them. You said 4 different things about people you disagree with that were not true. If the person is wrong, you shouldn't have to misrepresent them.

So back to the original question, where did the Lord condemn all drinking of alcohol? We all agree that being drunk is wrong.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not drink.....but these verses condemn...drunkeness....

I do not bind other peoples conscience which is sinful legalism.

3. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

So you equate "using a little wine for thy stomach's sake" and "be not given to much wine" as PRACTICING drinking? And you and all the others equate wine with liquor? Not the same thing. Practice is something done habitually.

Once again, another clear example of how Calvinists don't have a clue on how to state someone elses writing. Not once did I ever say that ALL drinking was condemned in the Bible. But, you seen what you wanted to see because of the stereotypes against fundamentalists.

Those on the other thread were glorifying hard liquor, not the periodic use of wine.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in H.S., A buddy of mine dated a girl that dipped a little snuff.

I guess he didn't mind since he was a big-dipper himself.

5. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think I have seen anyone Calvinist or non-Cal who extolls misusing Christian liberty to "live like Devils" or glorify drunkenness or anything else.

I have learned quite a bit about some things from Calvinists on this board (just not Soterilogical issues ;) ) and I haven't seen any of them taking liscense to "live like devils". Even if they did.....I don't for a minute think that their Soteriological system is the reason for it. Nothing about Calvinism that I can think of, as much as I disagree with it would justify worldly living.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

For a season, Nazarites were not allowed to drink wine or strong drink.

See Numbers 6, the whole chapter.

A Nazarite was a person (male or female) who made a "Nazarite vow" of which the whole chapter 6 of the Book of Numbers details.

It was not required but was voluntary (except perhaps in the case of Samson).

After the vow was fulfilled, he/she would shave their head and were allowed to drink wine and strong drink again.

HankD

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Says the one who was slamming drunkeness the entire thread, which this thread isn't about. It is about condemning any use of alcohol whatsoever and if there is a passage to support it. But like the KJVOnlyist nutjob you are you go on a text and tantrum only to find out after you stop and employ your brain that you were on the wrong topic.

Yep. You were mightily beating up on that straw man! Congrats!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Hilarious! :laugh:

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

He's on a roll tonight!

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to address the section in Deuteronomy that some like to trump out as license to drink.

Deuteronomy 14:23 And thou shalt eat before Jehovah thy God, in the place which he shall choose, to cause his name to dwell there, the tithe of thy grain, of thy new wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herd and of thy flock; that thou mayest learn to fear Jehovah thy God always.

24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it, because the place is too far from thee, which Jehovah thy God shall choose, to set his name there, when Jehovah thy God shall bless thee;

25 then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thy hand, and shalt go unto the place which Jehovah thy God shall choose:

26 and thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thy soul desireth, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee; and thou shalt eat there before Jehovah thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou and thy household."

Rational for permission to drink an intoxicant taken from the passage.

1) It is to be done at a place God chooses in which His name resides, and ALL tithes are brought.

2) You must be a rancher and farmer to bring the first born of the oil, the flock and learn to fear God.

3) You must be so far away that it is logistically incapable for you to physically bring the oil, flock...

4) You must convert the tithe into money, bind it to your hand, and go to the far off place where God dwells and His name is the address.

5) It is THE TITHE that you then convert back into food, drink ... whatever your soul desires, and you sit and eat in front of God in His place.

Now, if anyone on the BB meets those qualifications, then I suppose you may certainly enjoy yourself. But, I have not noted a Baptist church to hold a beer party - though some building funds have been enhanced by the moonshine proceeds being tithed. :)

However, because no one in today's world comes even close to meeting those requirements, it seems as though using the Deuteronomy passage for permission to consume an intoxicant is just unreliable and unworthy of rightly dividing the Word.

It would be like taking the part that says "whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee" and saying, I need a few bed partners, to help me relax and enjoy the worship.

Besides - When diet Dr. Pepper is available why would anyone want something less to drink. :)

10. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Then you missed the other thread.

Can you say that for 100% certainty? No you can't. I saw the admission to it, I didn't need to prove it. But you made a statement without verifying why I made the statement that I did. "He that answereth a matter before he heareth it is folly and shame unto him". Prov 18:13 There goes your "untruth #1".

It's called irresistible grace. No matter which way you try and make it sound pallatible to people with common sense who are shocked by it, if a person can not be saved by freely coming to Christ, and that grace can not be resisted, that is FORCE whether you admit or not. You not liking the conclusion doesn't make it false, it makes you blind and brainwashed.

Again ignoring the obvious here captain. Calvinists often site Acts 13:48 as evidence that when God ordains an elected person they WILL BE saved. Thus if to be ordained to something means you WILL DO IT, then Calvinist inconsistently apply their method of interpretation to Ephesians 2:10, and dance it around like you just did because Calvinist are afraid to face the illogical consequences of a faulty belief system just like a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness.

Well since you preordained my response, then I guess you have to be right. Typical Calvinist logic, ask someone to do something, then tell them they can't do it, and then hold them accountable for what you told them they can't do. Almost similar to your soteriology.

Just like the typical Calvie's, you missed the boat on attempting to identify my "errors". Not once did I ever say that ALL drinking was wrong, I laid out the verses for drunkenness, and then glorifying, praising and PRACTICING drinking, but again, you only see what you want.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe i see what i do...because you condemned Greektim as a drunk, because he did not agree with you.....that was bizarre my friend....

Listen....seriously.....you have a cross section of believers here who are not all cals...who think you are drifting off....get control of yourself....

you have lost it totally...

While this is somewhat amusing....it is sad.
    Where are you going with this?
    You are accusing everyone of all manner of sin.
    You are becoming a spectacle,is that what you want? Do you need attention?

12. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I don't think anyone is really trying to say that we meet those qualifications. The emphasis is more on the fact that God specifically was giving permission (albeit in a limited circumstance) for a worshiper to purchase and consume not only wine, but even strong drink (ie Liquor); therefore God CANNOT be against all alcohol consumption since He specifically said it was OK in this instance.

Gross... I don't drink, but I'd LIVE off vodka before drink Dr. Pepper....

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Right here you say a Christian has no excuse to "practice" drinking. You didn't say practice drunkenness.

To practice drinking could be something as simple as having one glass of wine a day. There is no sin in that, but you have just stated that it is.

So yes Dr., you DID say ALL drinking is wrong.

14. preacher4truth

I believe you're trying to make it walk on all fours brother. If we applied your principles here to other passages in the OT there would be many passages that we could just say to believers, concerning passages that bless their hearts 'That's not for you!'

All Scripture is profitable, including this one. Now do I go around and drink because of this? Absolutely not. But the fact is strong drink is not totally forbidden.

If consumption of alcohol were forbidden by God he would have never allowed it here, no matter the context, and part of the context is for enjoyment by the way.

- Blessings

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's all your fault AmyG....he was being cordial and nice, until you provoked him:thumbs:

16. preacher4truth

Yep.

He's at it again, cleaning up a mess, trying to backtrack, when the proof is already there.

Amazing!

I thought that straw man was about to whoop him a time or two! :laugh:

17. preacher4truth

That's my view as well. (not the vodka part, the part before that!)

18. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Glad to hear we agree :)

Hopefully though you can agree as well that Dr. Pepper is gross..

I was joking about the vodka BTW

...kinda :D

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, it is EXACTLY those qualifications that matter.

It is, in fact, more of a medicinal use to be done at ONE time. This section of Deuteronomy is found in a greater section dealing with dietary and tithe laws.

There is no place for the believer (outside of medicinal oversight) to engage in any intoxicants.

The whole and soul expressed purpose of the intoxicant is not to quench some thirst, but to intoxicate (which is why it is called an intoxicant).

Give strong drink to those who have no hope, but mine is in the Lord Jesus Christ.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yeah, I'm known for that! :laugh:

If you're a woman or a mother it's all your fault! :tongue3: