1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where did your soul come from?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Craigbythesea, Sep 28, 2005.

1. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Paul of Eugene,

Yep. Job 12:10 "In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind." NAS translates as "the life of everything" and NIV as "the life of every creature".

Soul is life. God breathed into Adam and he became a living soul. Animals have souls, but there is no indication that their souls are eternal like ours. Just as animals have no concept of morality. Their souls are not the same as ours.

Helen,

Very good.

Started to post ISBE's definition of "soul" but decided not to. If anyone does not have access but wants it, I can post if asked. Also, ISBE is available with E-Sword, copyright has expired, but the material is still excellent (it is not like the date on the milk).

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Very simplified:

Plants have a body
    Animals have a body and a soul.
    Mankind has a body, a soul, and a spirit.

All are alive at some point.
    Only humans are immortal.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But in the Bible, the words for "soul" and "spirit" are often interchangeable. Also, what do you mean by "spirit" as distinguised from "soul?"

I am not sure that we are immortal; we are given immortality by God.

Would like to see other views on this. Maybe I'll start a thread on it! ;)

4. Mercury

Mercury New Member

A bit of 1, 2, 3 and 5.

Which is another way of saying "I don't know."

5. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Wow, I have not heard some of those terms since Bible College! Let's see if I can remember:

Creationism - God quit creating on the 6th day and scripture does not indicate he created all living souls that same day - so NO.

Traducianism - Mom and Dad not only pass along all the genetic materials for life, but also those spiritual things as well. This is where the sin nature comes from and how all men are sinners from Adam. So, YES.

Generationism - I don't remember this one, but based on what I see posted I would have to say, NO.

Emanationism - Oh, yes, I think I remember this one. Basically, God has a huge bubble gum machine and when a baby is conceived, He pushes a lever and distributes a new soul that has never been used before. I think not, goes back to Creationism.

Evolutionism - Not is a million years!

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I heard the explanation somewhere that we don't obtain an immortal soul until we die, perhaps related to taking on a new body. Has anyone else heard that explanation?

7. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heavens, what a gnarly mess in this thread. Land O' Goshen, where should I start?

First, consider the passage in the bible about 'dividing of soul and spirit' just like dividing joints and marrow. Think about it: you can't pull out a knife and cut a skeleton so that you have the joint in one hand and the marrow in the other. It's impossible. The marrow makes up the joint. So if Paul's analogy follows through to soul and spirit, then what do we conclude? That soul and spirit are not able to be separated. The point of the verse is that scripture can do impossible things, such as distinguish between things that we can't dinstinguish, such as joint & marrow, soul and spirit. He might as well have said "separate the mind from the thoughts." One makes up the other.

Second, this view supports Marcia's point that the words are often interchangable.

Third, God did not only create the world at the beginning of time, but he sustains it continually. For "in Him all things consist." Some have the idea that creation is like a watch: God wound it up at the beginnning, and it's been running on it's own spring ever since. Not so, for God holds the universe together continually. He is the cause of our existence, both at our birth and right now.

Fourth, Marcia is correct in that the idea of human souls 'emanating' from God is not a biblical concept. This is a form of pantheism.

Fifth, in the bible humans are always presented as unified. Yes, we have parts, such as a body and soul/spirit, but the parts are unified, and never presented as complete in themselves. We are creatures with a body & spirit, neither of which will exist in eternity without the other. We are not "Casper the friendly ghost" temporarily living in a body.....

Sixth, there is another thread about mortality & immortality. That thread has verses listed that shows that the very, very clear biblical position is that only God is immortal.

Therefore, since God creates and sustains us constantly, we did not evolve by chance from goo, nor did we emanate from God (we are sinful through and through), nor did we generate ourselves on our own steam. We were created by God.

For we are "fearfully and wonderfully made." But we are made. Creationism.

[ October 03, 2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Humblesmith ]

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Some people participating in this thread would probably be of the opinion that your view contradicts the very word of God in Romans 5:12-19,

12. Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--
    13. for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    14. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
    15. But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many.
    16. The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification.
    17. For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.
    18. So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.
    19. For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.

[​IMG]