1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where do I go?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Bunny, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And so??
    Hundreds of authors and Christian apologists did not.
    Just because one person is weak-kneed and falters does not mean the rest of Christianity is.
    I have much better books to read than Martin's books.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The C&MA is a full service denomination of the Christian faith. Our focus is on fulfilling the Great Commission Jesus gave instruction on in Mark 16 which is preach the gospel and make disciples.

Each church within this denomination is autonomous so you will get varying styles of preaching, worship and outreach.

It is an interesting read how this denomination came into being. It wasn't created as such but inevidably became one.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am blessed to see the grace displayed by my baptist friends. Thanks for the support. :jesus:

in Christ,

Bob

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Impossible

She is searching for a "Christian denomination". Some Christians do not realize that there are churches using the name of Christian who are not biblically sound on the Christian fundamentals of Faith Alone.

Catholics believe that Jesus is the Son of God, so do the SDA, the Mormon, the JW. But any one who teaches salvation other than grace alone through faith alone is preaching "another gospel".

So I just want her to beware as she searches. Good Christians get caught up in these misguided churches everyday which are outside sound biblical precepts such as faith alone.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John 9 and John 15 insist that free will have its own degree of freedom.

If your claim that our acceptance of 1Cor 12 is making us non-Christian or that the non-Biblical prophets of 1Cor 14 (or Anna in the Temple, or Philips Daughters, or the NT non-Bible prophet Agabus or ...) makes the NT church non-Christian, or if you have imagined that the Bible-writer David who goes to the non-Bible writing prophet Nathan for counsel from God would make David a non-Believer - then perhaps a bit more study on the role of inspired nonBible writers is in order for your future study some day. The NT is clear that we are not to reject spiritual gifts or those through whom God chooses to manifest the gift of Prophecy. In 1Cor 12 God says he distributes gifts according to his own choosing - nothing there about limiting the 1Cor 12 gifts according to Steaver's dictation.:godisgood:

in Christ,

Bob

#45 BobRyan, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
  6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good point - returning to the main point of the thread itself.

:godisgood:

in Christ,

Bob

7. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Hey guys, just to again make myself clear my question was where do I go within the framework of Baptist beliefs based on what I had stated in my OP.
    This is why I chose to enter into discussion on this, the Baptist Board and not on say a Jehovah Witness or Catholic board.
    I apprecieate the answers I have gotten and they have solidified (?) my understanding as to what Baptist church might be the best fit for me.
    Thanks everyone for being so welcoming and helpful, I hope to learn from you in the future as we respectfully debate and share eachothers views.

Bunny

:wavey:

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bunny - I would recommend that you start looking at church websites and/or calling them to get their statement of beliefs. I'm sure you will find some churches that have the same beliefs as you - but then it will be a matter of fine-tuning. When we were looking, there were a number of churches that were where we are theologically but there were some other things that either made it not feel like "home" or just didn't fit our needs. We needed a good children's program so a church that was very tiny and had 10 kids didn't fit what we needed so that cut out two churches. Two others had music styles that we couldn't get comfortable with and while that wouldn't prevent us from attending but if there was another church that had music that we could more easily worship with, we'd go there. Another issue is how good a communicator the pastor is. Some are dry, some are amazing and some are pretty good. So even if a church has all of their theology right, you need to go someplace where you would feel comfortable in the service - and where you would feel comfortable to serve as well.

Bunny - I hope you find someplace that will bless you and that will be blessed by you. :wavey:

9. BillySunday1935

BillySunday1935 New Member

Whether one finds the preacher's style dry, or whether one likes the music, or whether a church has 10 members or 10,000 should NOT be the driving concern.

The seminal important question is this: Where is God leading me - what is His plan for my life - not where do I "feel" comfortable. God comes first - not individual wants or desires. This is the problem (and I believe the prevailing attitude) in many - MANY churches in the US. It's all about "me" isn't it.

I think Bunny has it right.

Peace!

10. BillySunday1935

What about love there steaver?

Peace!

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No. The driving concern should be fidelity to the Word of God. Number one, no compromise. But from there, there are preferences, needs fulfilled, etc. Of course if God is leading one to a particular church, that is where you should be but I don't know many who have been led to a church that would make them uncomfortable. God led us to our particular church and there are others that are just as good as our church and even would meet our needs but God led us here. It's not "all about me" but one certainly needs to go to a church where the leadership is solid, one is able to use their ministry gifts in a way to bless God and bless the church AND one needs to be able to be fed too. I'd not go to a church where the pastor's sermons might be Biblical but very dry and not a full study of Scripture. I don't do shallow preaching - I want meat. I'm not going to go to a milk church. Does that make it all about me?

12. BillySunday1935

Do you believe that God would lead you to a church that didn't hold to the fideltity of scripture?

You set the criterion for Bunny - find a church with which you're "comfortable" and "feel" at home. It seems as though you are back-tracking a bit.

In summation:
    You would go "where one is able to use their gifts" or where "one needs to be able to be fed" and "you don't do shallow preaching" and "I want meat."

I need this - I want that - I demand this - I don't do that.

Only you can answer that question, but - I think you have validated my previous statement.

Peace!

#52 BillySunday1935, May 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That was already stated and answered; no need to ask it again.
    A false statement. Bunny set the criteria herself. Read the OP.

Every person ought to desire the meat of God's Word, as Paul states in his epistles.

As Bunny has stated that she has received the answers that she wanted, this thread will be closed.
    Thank you to those who have contributed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.