1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where do we stand today?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Tennessee Gal, May 25, 2017.

1. CertainSound

CertainSound New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if they have taken into account the national pastor/missionaries that IFB churches have really gone into supporting over the last 10-15 years. These guys are mostly in third world countries. i.e. HELP ministries

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt. And what we don't have figured out will have little consequence in the long run. I am, nevertheless, quite interested in better understanding what the independent Baptist landscape looks like.
    For my part, I can't say. I've only gotten through the prefaces in the book.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those missionaries would not have been included in the tally. Also, missionaries sent out by churches on the mission fields of the world would not have been tallied. I know of missionaries from Japan to Africa, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, and Bangladesh.

With all of these factors taken into account, I believe the independent Baptist missions movement to be one of the greatest in all of church history.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I know, there has never been a written history of the ind. Baptist movement, though there are some good histories of fundamentalism out there. A book on the ind. Baptist movement would be a rip-snorter, though: J. Frank Norris, T. T. Shields, John Birch, John R. Rice, Lee Roberson, Jack Hyles, Monroe Parker, Myron Cederholm, and many others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "A History of Fundamentalism in America" by my old Seminary Professor, mentor, and friend. Dr. George W. Dollar (B.A., B.Div. Gordon College and Gordon Divinity School,Th. M. in church history from Emory University, M.A. and Ph.D. from Boston University) although not directly focusing on IFBs, does give a lot of detail of the beginnings and growth of the IFB movement in America.

His later book "The Fight for Fundamentalism" goes into detail regarding the descent of predominately Baptist fundamentalism into Neo-Evangelicalism.

Both are available, used, from Amazon, but are a bit expensive.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know about that second one, and still have just ed. 1 of his first book. I need to catch up on books--and even when I do will not be caught up. :)

• Like Like x 1