1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Do You Sit?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I always sit up in the area where the pastor preaches...the podium area... because I am part of the worship and praise group. We start up there and stay up there.

But in the past, any time I'm not up there, I ALWAYS like to sit as far back as possible. I've always been that way. All through school and college I always sat way in the back. If I am in a meeting or training session at work I sit as far back as possible. The last row is ideal.

I just like it back there. Thats where I feel the most comfortable.

:godisgood:

#21 Alive in Christ, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Depends.

If my bride is along, which is only about 1/3 -1/2 the time, due to her work schedule, we usually sit on the left side of the nave, near the nave, anywhere from about the 3rd seat, back, as you enter the auditorium, facing the front, or in the left alcove. (I have not gotten here to sit with me 'above' the transept, on the "Amen!" benches, however, we have no narthex, and there is probably no way I would ever convince her to join me in the chancel, although probably 20 years ago, I was found there virtually every Sunday.) Anyone here not know what is any of these terms mean, such as alcove, narthex, chancel, or nave?? [Wink!!] [Big Grin!]

If I am alone, I can usually be found about anywhere. although not usually on the first two or three rows. Occasionally, I sit in spots near the video or sound guys, just to observe between times, as they adjust their machines and boards. (I would be absolutely clueless to do either, being very "technically challenged", although my bride could easily handle either, I'm sure, given her skills.) And I occasionally filled in as the travel bureau(a) pianist or organist in the past, but seldom do anymore, as my physical skills are deteriorating, due to a combination of arthritis, diabetic neuropathy, and lack of recent practice.) And as I am the Moderator, I like to sit somewhere I don't normally sit, anytime I know that some business may come up, or on regular business meeting evening, just to confuse the Pastor :laugh:, who will sometimes ask - "Is Ed here?" or "I haven't seen Ed - is he here?" when he hasn't yet spotted 'me, just as he did last week, when I was not near any of my more common haunts, but was one the third row, inside left, about three 'spots' in from the left aisle.

In short, I might be found, sometimes about anywhere.

Keep 'em guessing, and keep smiling! - Makes 'everbody' wonder what you are up to!! :thumbsup: :smilewinkgrin:

Ed

(a)'Travel bureau': - I was 'The Last Resort'! :D

P.S. Language Cop just noted that I broke some rule' when I ended my last sentence with a preposition. I responded to him by saying that I was not changing it, and that I considered this to be "drivel of and with which sort, the which that of the up I will not put!"

#22 EdSutton, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

There is a Jedi Master amongst us!! [​IMG]

4. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I'm at a big church, I'll be toward the back. If I'm at a middle sized church, I'll sit about midway. If I'm at a small church, I will normally sit about at the fifth row of pews in the center.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Pew rent? Is this like a Personal Seat License (PSL) for church? :smilewinkgrin:

We just joined our church about 2 months ago, so we don't really have "our" spot yet. We usually sit on the stage left side of the auditorium, usually somewhere in one of the middle rows, preferably on the end so I can take my children out of the auditorium easily if I need to "talk" to them about how to behave in church.

The only thing that really annoys me about a seat is when I put my stuff in a seat and people sit there anyway.

I usually sit there when I want to know what it's like to be a backslider.:tongue3:

j/k, we don't have a balcony.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the church we go to here in Western New Yoik, my wife and I usually sit at the back.
    At our home church, we also sit at the back. Nothing significant about that, just an old habit. Unless I'm scheduled to preach. Then my wife sits at the back, where I go to after preaching, and I sit out front near the pulpit. Makes no sense having people turn around and watch you walk up the aisle to the pulpit like some bigshot preacher with a lot of words and nothing to say. Right ?
    But, by and large, we like to sit at the back, just as I like to sit towards the rear in restaurants near the kitchen, and facing the restaurant entrance door, where I can see everybody coming in.
    When you live and grew up in a place like the Philippines, and spent sometime in the rural areas where bullets can fly anytime outside of the church, you tend to learn to sit where you can easily exit.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I sit anywhere, and everywhere...wherever there is an open seat. Some have "their" seats, and I try to avoid those, but the rest are fair game.