1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where does believing faith come from part 4

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Benefactor, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    43 Why do ye not understand my speech? Even because ye cannot hear my word.
    47 He that is of God heareth the words of God: for this cause ye hear them not, because ye are not of God. Jn 8

26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep. Jn 10

14 Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged. 1 Cor 2

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

That is a simple minded response. Spurgeon is simply saying that it is not necessary that Paul repeat all of Scripture teachings on a given subject each time he addresses that subject. Similarly every time a preacher stands in the pulpit it is not necessary that he preach through the entire Bible. It is assumed that the reader or listener is aware of something read or taught previously.

3. OldRegular

That is absolute nonsense! Scripture teaches: No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.[John 6:44]

Are you saying that God ties a rope to a person and drags Him to Jesus Christ?

4. OldRegular

You are contradicting yourself. If God works from the outside what does the heart have to do with anything?

5. OldRegular

You are completely ignorant of what Total depravity means. It does not mean that man is as bad as he can be. It does not mean that man cannot do what society considers good. Total Depravity means that man is unable to do anything relative to his salvation.

6. OldRegular

You misrepresent what I said. I have always believed in God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Why? Because I was taught that. I knew, however, that I was not saved, that God had never performed a work of grace in my life. How? Because there was no love for God in me. That did not happen until I was about 34 years old [not 40].

Knowledge or acknowledgement of the historical truth of the existence of God and the work of Jesus Christ is not Salvation. Scripture tells us that even the devils believe and tremble[James 2:19] The work of the Holy Spirit in the regeneration of that which is dead in trespass and sin followed by the gift of faith is the initial act in the salvation of the elect. Those who have been regenerated [New Birthed] and given the gift of faith will certainly respond to the Gospel call.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They can't because they already have, unless you believe the song: "You must be born again, you must be born again and again and again..."
    The person who has been born again has been born again because he has already responded by faith. It can be no other way.

8. OldRegular

DHK

You can continue your erroneous belief as long as you choose. Fortunately it will not affect your salvation. It won't even affect your rewards since I believe that we are all heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ.

Of course if you are the author and finisher of your faith, rather than Jesus Christ, you may have trouble getting to sleep at night. One of our new members said he would, if he believed as you do, and I just happened to recall that.

And don't say that I am questioning your salvation. I am not!

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I will repeat.

We are saved through faith, not faithed through salvation.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup. It is also consistent with these:

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man [that is among you] the measure of faith.
    Rom 12:4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
    Rom 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
    Rom 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith [that God hath dealt to us the measure];

Phi 1:28 And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.
    Phi 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

11. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are justified/"saved" through faith. We are "faithed" through regeneration/the-new-birth/resurrection-to-spiritual-life.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Scripture?

13. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but you cannot believe unless you have faith to exercise.

"For all men have not faith"

ου ["not"] γαρ ["for/because/that"] παντων ["all have"/"of all is"] η πιστις ["faith"/"the faith"].

According to Romans 12:3, God gives people a "measure of faith" whereby they stand as believers.
    Philippians 1:28-29 says that the gospel faith is an "evident token of perdition" to the adversaries, but to "you" it is salvation and that salvation is from God because God gave to them on the behalf of Christ to believe in Him.

These verses make it clear that one must have gospel faith from God to believe the Gospel. One who believes the Gospel has a measure of faith from God. Those who do not have this faith are still unbelievers.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, but you contradict and deny what I have repeatedly have said in the past.
    First, I have said repeatedly that Christ is the author and finisher of our faith. So you need not make false accusations.
    Second, I have also repeatedly said that salvation is all of Christ; salvation is by grace through faith [salvation] is the gift of God; [salvation] is not of works.
    This verse is so simple to understand when you keep the subject of the verse in focus; and the verse in its context. It seems like you don't want to believe it, and that you insist on taking one small phrase out of its context to make it say something different other than what it really saves.

God doesn't give faith to an unsaved unregenerated person. They must come to God on their own before they are regenerated. Here is a verse you have trouble with:

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Who was Jesus talking to: The context is in verse 18:
    John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
    --They were unregenerate Jews, and the only way that they could be regenerated was by hearing the Word and believing on him that sent him.
    Why reject God's Word?

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Belief and faith are synonyms. You can choose to believe anything.

16. OldRegular

Amy

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Above is the Biblical definition of Faith. Is that synonymous with belief?

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The above is like a description of faith. I have never heard you give a straightforward definition of faith. You seem reluctant to do so. Outside the parameters of religion can you give a simple definition of faith.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes.

faith
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: trust in something

Synonyms:
    acceptance, allegiance, assent, assurance, belief, certainty, certitude, confidence, constancy, conviction, credence, credit, credulity, dependence, faithfulness, fealty, fidelity, hope, loyalty, reliance, stock, store, sureness, surety, troth, truth, truthfulness

Antonyms:
    disbelief, distrust, doubt, misgiving, skepticism, suspicion

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/faith

What is the difference between "believing" and "faith" according to Jesus?

Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

#98 Amy.G, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The lost don't receive spiritual gifts.

20. OldRegular

Hope this is not the 1st time but you are right webdog. However, the regenerate do receive the gift of Faith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.