1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where does the spirit go?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by extremebiblereader, Dec 17, 2002.

1. extremebiblereader

extremebiblereader New Member

I am not sure if this topic is supposed to be here or not. If not you can kick me out that is okay w/ me. Anyway, i have seen shows like Jonathan Edward, and diff. shows like that and was wondering what are they talking to b/c they could be talking to a spirit. I know of evil spirit haunting houses. Where does your spirit go. When you die your body goes into the ground, your soul goes to heaven if you are saved, and your spirit, does it just stay here?

Food for thought, I would greatly appreciate something to clear this up, i have been struggling w/ the answer for a few month now.
    Thanks
    Rachel

2. 2peter1_10

2peter1_10 New Member

The spirit of the unsaved goes to hell. In Luke 16:19-31, the account of the rich man and Lazarus. I take it as a literal story and not a parable. However, even as a parable interpretation it would still mean that the unsaved goes to hell.

Hell is a holding place for the unsaved until the Great White Throne Judgement (Revelation 21:1-8). The final destiny is the Lake of Fire.

Jonathan Edward usually questions the people beforehand and finds out details about deceased loved ones that he can later use to begin is magical discussions. :rolleyes:

These types of people have been around for millenniums. They use cunning questions and techniques to do their trick. They have never been able to reproduce the same results under careful scrutiny and investigations. [​IMG]

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

If it is helpfull, John Ankerberg has a free Audio Stream on his site concerning where we go when we die, and He deals with Spiritualists like Mr Edwards, Check our http://www.ankerberg.com/

4. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

Ecclesiastes 12:7  Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the "spirit" shall return unto God who gave it.

The Hebrew word ruwach (#07307) is used here for "spirit" and literally means that a person's "breath" returns to God who gave it.

Notice there is no mention of "soul" in this verse. ;)

A friend - Jim

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

What difference is there in "soul" and "spirit?" :confused:

6. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

Hello HomeBound - Quickly, and hopefully without distracting from this post, the word "soul" in Genesis 2:7 uses the Hebrew word "nephesh" (05315) which can mean life, person, mind, heart, creature, man, et al. "Spirit" in the verse I cited above is completely different and means wind, breath, mind, air, et al.

Jim

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

But are the same, right?

9. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

Homebound - There are differences of opinion on this but I believe they are different. The Genesis verse I mentioned says that God created Adam from the dust of the ground and that man became a living soul (nephesh). To me, that literally says that that Adam's body and soul were one and the same.

Different opinions exist (probably the majority) who cannot subscribe to that line of thinking because they believe the soul is separate from the body and goes to heaven the instant you die. With that thought another debate arises and I don't want to do that to this post. :(

Jim

10. extremebiblereader

extremebiblereader New Member

Right the spirit of a saved person goes to heaven. But what about the spirit of an unsaved person? What does the Bible say about that, I am not sure, but i don't think i read anything about that.

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Check out Luke 16:19-31. Everything that Jesus spoke was things that could concievably happen. If this place did not exist, Jesus would be giving a False Tesimony. He would not make up a lie about something that could not happen.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist