1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where does your state rank in religious belief?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I saw an article on this the other day. I think VA is sort of in the middle.

I can't recall if they did this by asking if people believe in God or by church attendance.

I know Maine, Oregon, and Washington are low states.

Are we supposed to be able to click on the map and see stats, because I don't see that?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I always wonder what they mean by 'religious'. They beleive in the God of the bible, go to church regularly, what church? Mormon, JW, RCC, what? They could be muslims or buddists for all we know. I would like to see some actual numbers on this to see whats really going on. Because anyoen can be religious and still reject Christ.

4. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Obvious with Utah being dark green that it is not just base christianity that is being looked at......

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

My home state (Michigan) and the one I'm in now (Florida) are both ranked "Average". Of course, being "religious" doesn't necessarily mean being "born again". The Pharisees were the religious leaders of their day, and Jesus called them "hypocrites" and said they were of their father the devil. To the world, "religious" means anyone who believes there is a God--regardless of what they believe about Him. Belief in Jesus has nothing to do with it.

#5 Jon-Marc, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In western Kentucky, there are many, many Baptist churches of all sizes and stripes. There is also a fair representation of the Church of Christ, Catholic, and various Protestant denominations. Lots of people go to church here, probably as great of percentage as anywhere in the country. Having said that, there are many people, probably more than half, that never make an effort to attend anywhere. There is a need to spread the Gospel everywhere.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

According to something I once read, the Second Congressional District of KY has the most churches of all types, per capita, of any Congressional District in the United States, or at least did when Congressman (and Southern Baptist preacher) Ron Lewis (R) was first elected to Congress, in 1994. His election, following the death of long-time (and 'unbeatable') 42 year Congressman William Natcher (D), in the highly Democratic, albeit conservative district, was considered by many to be a huge upset, and was largely attributed to the large numbers of 'Protestant' churches, according to my memory.

Incidentally, his successor who was elected in 2008, Brett Guthrie, is a member of the Church of Christ, who defeated David Boswell, a member of the Roman Catholic church, and both Guthrie and Boswell were also state Senators.

Ed

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sound open to interpretation to the person answering the question, and really has nothing to do with any actual religion or Christianity at all.

10. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I expected Alabama to be amongst the most religious, but I didn't expect California to be listed as average. I would have thought they would have been ranked as least religious.

11. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

As I said, being religious doesn't necessarily mean being born again. There could very well be a lot of "religious" people in California, but do they know Jesus the Christ as their personal Saviour? Have their lives changed, and have they become a "new creature in Christ"? Too many "religious" people claim to be Christians while living like the devil.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

religious could mean
    christian
    muslim
    Mormon
    new age
    eastern religion
    wiccan
    so all in all, it means nothing to say one is religious.