1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where is God's preserved word?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jordan Kurecki, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why can you believe that God can use fallible men to give the originals yet cannot believe God would use fallible men in preserving his word through translation?

The scriptural authority we rest on in the fact that God has promised to preserve his word, we do not believe the critical text theories hold true to this.

especially considering that the flood of modern critical texts follow the theories of people like Wescott and Hort.

Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

"I reject the word infallibility of Holy Scriptures overwhelmingly." (Westcott, The Life and Letters of Brook Foss Westcott, Vol. I, p.207).

"He never speaks of Himself directly as God, but the aim of His revelation was to lead men to see God in Him." (Westcott, The Gospel According to St. John, p. 297).

"(John) does not expressly affirm the identification of the Word with Jesus Christ." (Westcott, Ibid., p. 16).

"I confess I have no repugnance to the primitive doctrine of a ransom paid to Satan. I can see no other possible form in which the doctrine of a ransom is at all tenable; anything is better than the doctrine of a ransom to the father." (Hort, The First Epistle of St. Peter 1:1-2:17, p. 77).

"(Hell is) not the place of punishment of the guilty, (it is) the common abode of departed spirits." (Westcott, Historic Faith, pp.77-78).

"No one now, I suppose, holds that the first three chapters of Genesis, for example, give a literal history. I could never understand how anyone reading them with open eyes could think they did." (Westcott, cited from Which Bible?, p. 191).

"But the book which has most engaged me is Darwin. Whatever may be thought of it, it is a book that one is proud to be contemporary with..... My feeling is strong that the theory is unanswerable." (Hort, cited from Which Bible?, p. 189)

"I wish I could see to what forgotten truth Mariolatry (the worship of the Virgin Mary) bears witness." (Westcott, Ibid. )
    "The pure Romanish view seems to be nearer, and more likely to lead to the truth than the Evangelical." (Hort, Life and Letters, Vol. I, p. 77)

Hort called the Textus Receptus "vile and villainous" (Life and Letters of Fenton John Anthony Hort, Vol. I, p.211).
    - This statement was made before Hort was even learned in Greek, His textual theory was built on a bias against the Textus Receptus.

"For ourselves we dare not introduce considerations which could not reasonably be applied to other ancient texts, supposing them to have documentary attestation of equal amount, variety, and antiquity."

In other words: They treated the bible like any other book, ignoring it's divine character and it's divine preservation.

Your modern critical texts such as Nestle Aland build on the theories of heretics and unbelievers Wescott and Hort.

A good tree cannot produce good fruit, in these last days with unbelief and compromise on the rise are people really so naive to think that coming out with a new bible translation every few months or so is really going to be good.

Consider the fruit of the Textus Receptus: The Reformation and the putting of God's word into many hands through the translations of Luther and others.

2. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm really just tired of people dodging the real issue, which is the flaws of the textual critical theories behind the modern Greek texts.

I would be willing to abandon the perfection of my King James translation and hold to a T.R. only position way before I would EVER consider using one of the Critical Text Translations.

Also let me clarify that I do not believe the King James is the only bible translation period. I believe that it is the most accurate for ENGLISH speaking people. While you may use the NIV or the ESV, that is your choice and you have the soul liberty to choose to and to be fully persuaded in your own mind. But It is my conviction that there is no need or reason to when God has providentially provided us the King James. Why ride a bike when you have access to a car?

I am well aware that there are other languages that may not have a perfect complete bible because God in his providence and wisdom has not provided them one, they should use whatever they can get their hands on, However if you look at the translation method behind the King James and the character and ability of many of the learned scholars and all of the fruit from the King James I have a hard time understanding how people cannot see God's hand behind the King James.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't go swinging your heretic sword so wildly. You really need to step back and examine what you are saying. W&H were not IFBers,but they certainly were Christians. Burgon and Spurgeon never called them heretics and unbelievers. But I know the latter better than the former. Spurgeon actually used the ERV in the Met. Tab. approvingly.

Pardon me if I doubt the authenticity of your quotes. I will verify in the next day or so.

#23 Rippon, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  4. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One who rejects the infallibility of the scriptures is certainly a heretic.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

He didn't reject the infallibility of Scripture, he rejected your questionable and unverified quotations.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now hold your horses. The above isn't true.

Look at the following list of some textual critics throughout the last few centuries. They didn't deny the authority and inspiration of the Scripture. Among them were some rather fine orthodox men.

Brian Walton (1600-1661) who put together the monumental London Polyglot Bible. John Lightfoot (1602-1675) who helped Walton in the enterprize.

John Fell (1625-1686)
    John Mill (1645-1707)
    J.A. Bengel (1687-1752)
    Daniel Mace (died in 1753)
    J.J. Griesbach (1745-1812)
    Karl Lachmann (1793-1851)
    Tischendorf (1815-1874)
    Tregelles (1813-1875)
    And why would not the CT be able to do the same?

7. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Psa 11:7
    7 The spechis of the Lord ben chast spechis; siluer examynyd bi fier, preued fro erthe, purgid seuen fold.
    8 Thou, Lord, schalt kepe vs; and thou schalt kepe vs fro this generacioun with outen ende.
    (WYC)

8. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Psa 12:6-7
    6 The words of the LORD are pure words:as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
    (WCV) Webster

6 The words of Jehovah are pure words, silver tried in the furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou, Jehovah, wilt keep them, thou wilt preserve them from this generation for ever.
    (Darby)

6 The words of the Lord are pure words,
    like silver refined in a furnace on the ground,
    purified seven times.
    7 You, O Lord, will keep them;
    you will guard us from this generation forever.
    (ESV)

Full circle.

9. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Burgon and Spurgeon are not my final authority.

10. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was your purpose in posting this?

11. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry, it was to be combined with the post that I followed it up with.

12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where have you demonstrated that the textual criticism involved in the making of the twenty to thirty varying editions of the Textus Receptus is infallible or perfect?

I have not recommended the Critical Text, but you have failed to show that your criticism of it are based on use of consistent, just measures.

I can see the clear, obvious flaws in your inconsistent KJV-only reasoning that depends upon use of fallacies and upon use of inconsistent, uneven, unjust measures.

13. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

6 Le parole del Signore son parole pure, Argento affinato nel fornello di terra, Purgato per sette volte.
    7 Tu, Signore, guarda coloro; Preservali da questa generazione in perpetuo.
    (Ital_Diodati1649)

14. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you?

Why didn't you answer your own question consistently using just measures?

What one specific edition of the Hebrew text available before 1611 is 100% perfect and is in perfect agreement with a line of Hebrew manuscripts?

What one specific edition of the Greek NT text available before 1611 is 100% perfect and is based on Greek manuscripts that match it 100%?

15. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is the final authority.

The proper greater authority and standard for the making and trying of all translations is the preserved Scriptures in the original languages as determined by the original language manuscript evidence according to use of consistent, just measures.

16. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

The only thing that I wish to add to the discussion on this thread is to remind its readers that just because a publication has the word "Bible" in its title does NOT necessarily mean that it should be considered as "inspired" by God.

EXAMPLE: The New World "Bible" that is put out by the Jehovah Witnesses is NOT by any stretch of one's imagination "inspired" by God!!

The Jehovah Witnesses are a CULT and absolutely deny the fact that Jesus Christ is God!!

When their so-called "Bible" comes to passages that plainly ascribe deity to Jesus Christ such as the beginning verses of John's Gospel, the NWT deceives its readers by inserting the indefinite article "a" into its text.

Thus, the NWT would read in John 1:1 something such as: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God [the Father], and the Word was a God."

Now I will admit that I am not a scholar of Biblical (Kione) Greek, but a former pastor of mine (who was a Greek scholar) told me that in the Biblical Greek there is no indefinite article ("a" in the English language).

That fact did not stop the translators of the NWT. All they did was to insert in their so-called "translation" a word that has no real counterpart in Biblical Greek!!

IOW, they INTENTIONALLY deceived anyone who would not know that Biblical Greek does not even have such a thing as an indefinite article in its vocabulary.

What I'm trying to point out that simply because a "religious" book has the word "Bible" in its title does not mean that one should consider it to be "God's preserved word."

17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question, Jordon.
    Believing that God preserved his word in a collective assortment of documents does not mean that God doesn’t “use fallible men in preserving his word through translation”.

God uses people to preserve his written word – but he doesn’t usually “re-breathe” or “re-inspire” his words once they have been delivered (Jeremiah’s words seems to have been an exception).
    Inspiration is a one-time act rather than a continuing process.

The method of God's preservation of his word is not clearly defined in scripture but like inspiration it flows from his character.
    God says his words will not pass away.
    Since God is eternal, so his words are eternal too.
    Where and how preservation occurs is an unresolved issue.

I don’t need a letter-perfect word from God – what I have is sufficiently difficult for this present life. I know that when I see him, I will be like him, for I shall see him as he is (1 Jn 3)

In fact even if you claim to have a perfect version it still doesn’t prevent imperfect interpretations, as demonstrated by the grand variety of beliefs throughout Christendom.

Jordon, it’s interesting that despite differences, frailties, disagreements, and weaknesses, we share many of the same beliefs.
    Our Lord Jesus is our uniting factor and worthy of our thanks and praise.

I’m learning this of late and I’d encourage you to as well; emphasize the demonstration of God’s grace in your life among others
    If you do this one thing many of the annoying differences between others will lessen in importance.

Rob

18. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

John
    Chapter 1
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

19. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Why should anyone be asked to answer a question that you yourself appear unwilling to answer?

20. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Put this way makes it sound like you are KJV-preferred, not KJV-only. Is this accurate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.