1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where is the difference between being attracted to sin and things which are not sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Oct 29, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Many things which are not sinful also have some sort of "addictive" effect. You do them once and then every now and then you feel the desire to do it again. For example when you have a hobby or something else which is fun then after starting to do it you'll find yourself wanting to do it again. If this wasn't a non-sinful hobby but some sort of sinful activity then everybody would directly say that this is some sort of bondage or addiction or simply the flesh which is being tempted, right?
    But what I ask myself is where is the difference between wanting to do something which isn't a sin again and again and being tempted to do a sin again and again?
    Could it be that the mechanisms are the same and it doesn't even matter if it's a sinful activity or not? I mean where is the difference between wanting to play with your dog or wanting to play an instrument and getting the desire to sin? Are both desires triggered by the same mechanism? Isn't it in both cases the flesh which wants to do these things? :confused:
    I mean what I ask myself is simply this: Not everything which has some sort of habitual effect on people is directly a sin. When you do something which is fun then you will want to repeat it but this doesn't mean it's a sin. But if it was a sin then christians would directly explain this behavior with the fact that it's a sin and that sin creates bondage. But what if this explanation is wrong because not everything which creates the desire to be repeated automatically is a sin.

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Sorry, this one is too convoluted to make sense! Are you wanting to make unsinful things sinful, or sinful things unsinful?

Why not just try to live by what the Bible teaches. Read the book of John first, then continue on.

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Nope.
    I am asking wether the mechanisms which cause habits in sinful and non-sinful things might not be the same. For example when somebody has a hard time stopping a sin then christians will say that this is the flesh or that it's habitual or something like that.
    But what if I have a non-sinful hobby and I cannot stop it? Is this also the flesh in this case or what is it and does the fact that I cannot stop it make it a sin? I mean is there something which is really hard to stop which isn't a sin or does everything which you cannot simply stop at will automatically a sin? Let's say the bring out a new soda which tastes so good that you simply cannot stop buying it then does this mean that this is a sin? I don't think so. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the feature of something being habitual and hard to stop doesn't necessarily mean that it's a sin.
    Is it not possible that sin is simply addictive because it's fun? The same way playing games which are fun can become addictive? Where is the difference between sinning and then automatically being drawn to sin again and doing something non-sinful and then also being drawn to repeat it? I think most christian would explain the addictive character of sin simply with the fact that sin is sinful and this means it's addictive. But what about something non-sinful being addictive? In this case this explanation isn't sufficient because it's not sinful and yet it is addictive.

4. pLug

pLug New Member

I would think that any activity that places an individual in a place where they are unable to stop it is simply bondage, regardless of its inherent moral application.
    Oh, and by the way, I’m new here. Hello everyone.

5. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

I guess posting our Christian thoughts in these forums becomes a sin under that logic. Therefore, the logic is incorrect. Not everything one does repeatedly is sin. We all eat daily, normally 365 days a year. We drive a car daily. I go for a walk in the park daily. When I feel well I go several times daily. I feel renewed and energetic later. I do repetitive work for a living. I can't stop hugging my wife. Yea!

If this repetitive behavior is the result of a faulty brain mechanism, an obsession or a compulsion that one cannot overcome, then medical attention is indicated, unless God simply chooses to heal that malady himself.

Your question obviously is not based upon any biblical source. I would look to the bible before I got tangled up in this kind of discussion.

6. pLug

pLug New Member

Xdisciplex, could you help me out and sum up your question or point with one or two sentences?

7. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

What mechanism would that be?