1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Is the Spirit In The New Heavens and In the New Earth?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jul 4, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

In Rev. 21: 22, 23, "I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb." (Revelation 21:22, 23, NASB).

Then Rev.22:3-5, "No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever. (Revelation 22:3-5, NASB)

Where will the Spirit be in the New Heaven and the New Earth? I see the roles of both the Father and the Son but what about the Spirit? Anyone care to share some insights?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

I think He will continue as He is now...in believers.
    Just as Jesus prayed of us being one with Jesus as He is one with the Father. We can not be one with the God head unless the Godhead be apart of us. Notice We are there, the Father is there, and so is the Son. The promise of God must stand that He will never leave nor forsake us, and that leaving can only be done by the one who seals us using Himself as the seal. In the Kingdom He will still be with us. We will all be in unified fellowship as The Trinity already is and will be still. Not as gods ourselves, but in union with God Himself. IMO (of course)

#2 Allan, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But then I think about glorification, when our lowly bodies that will be gloriously like that of our Lord. I see them as being fit for the New world. Wouldn't that transformation suffice?

I understand the need for the Spirit now. But will we still need him once we are glorified?

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Is a glorified body all that is needed for eternal unity with God?

If we were created not in the type of unity Christ, the Holy Spirit, and the Father already were enjoying then what new demensions does a perfect body bring to the table to make us one with them?

Yes, we will have glorified bodies, but how will that unite us in unified onesness with God the Father and Jesus our Savior and Lord?

The Spirit of God places us 'IN' the Father and He (the Father) 'IN' us. It is HE that bridges the gap of creation and creator. Regardless of how holy or righteous we CAN be in glorified bodies, THEY (the bodies) have no bearing on the relationship we enjoy via the Holy Ghost.

If we have it and the Spirit of God leaves us to be on our own, then by what standard are we 'in' the Father and the Son, and they 'in' us. To NOT have God 'in' us is to NOT have life for the Spirit of light and life 'dwells' not 'in' him that we might have life. I glorified bodies we will not seek to sin and our natural ones yearn after. We will be hindered no more to seek after our fleshly lusts.

#4 Allan, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But what of our glorified bodies? Did Adam and Eve before the Fall have the Spirit in them?

If we cannot have communion with the Father and Son for all eternity apart from the Spirit, then that means the Spirit would be in an indwelling role for all of eternity.

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Scripture doesn't indicate where the Spirit was before the fall but every indication I see since the cross is that the Spirit will be IN us for all eternity. Jesus said 'I will never leave you nor forsake you' and I take that to also mean for all eternity. As He is with us now via the Holy Spirit, He shall be in eternity though we will ALSO see Him in His body. IMO. Scripture doesn't come right out and say it that way but I think that is the way it will be. God is a Spirit. The only way I can see how we may commune with Him throughout all eternity is if we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit for eternity.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

I don't believe so. They were only in communion with God in the evenings as He came TO THEM. They were not in constant fellowship or communion with God as we who have the indwelling Holy Spirit. Without God, man would and did fall.

And this is a problem for you... why?

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Do the phraseology and tone of my question suggest that it is a problem for me? Not at all! I am just asking a reasonable question. In fact, if the Spirit so decides to indwell us for eternity in the New Order, who am I to object? God is sovereignly on His throne. I am comfortable with that.

#8 TCGreek, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  9. russell55

russell55 New Member

Yes, I think we will still need the Spirit. I think "there is none good but God" applies all throughout all time, and the perfect righteousness we will have when we are glorified will still not be righteousness that is intrinsic to us (only God is good), but righteousness derived from God by the power of the Spirit within us. That we have glorified bodies means that there will be nothing hindering the Spirit's influence, thus our perfect righteousness.

I don't have time to look it up now, but I think some very similar things are said about life in the Spirit, life as new creation, and the resurrected life. That makes me think that the life we will have as completely new creation, in the fully resurrected life with our resurrection bodies, is life lived completely in the Spirit.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Maybe I worded it improperly.

Why would having a perfect, incorruptable body be suffient to maintain a relationship?

I realize that whatever God decides to do, it will be ok with us. Who can argue with God? No one.

But I was simply asking back to you, what you were asking of us. :)

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isa 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
    Isa 65:18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
    Isa 65:19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
    Isa 65:20 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.

Spurgeon:
    "Did you ever regret the absence of the burnt-offering, or the red heifer, of any one of the sacrifices and rites of the Jews? Did you ever pine for the feast of tabernacle, or the dedication? No, because, though these were like the old heavens and earth to the Jewish believers, they have passed away, and we now live under the new heavens and a new earth, so far as the dispensation of divine teaching is concerned. The substance is come, and the shadow has gone: and we do not remember it." (Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, vol. xxxvii, p. 354).

12. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

The new heaven is the spirit and the new earth is your body. behold I make man from the dust of the earth. For the kindom of heaven is with in a man. New Jerusalem is the city of God.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I wish not to insult your intelligence, but what are you saying? I encourage you to read the Scriptures with better understanding.

14. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

The Holy Spirit is omnipresent. He will obviously still be everywhere.:tonofbricks:

lacy

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

And that is the truth of it. Though 'in' us, but still 'with and in' the Father and Son. Never absent from the Godhead but always and distinctly present at all times with and in Believers.

The "all in all" so to speak. (pun intended)

16. charles_creech78

Where is the Kindom of Heaven?

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

There are quite a number of discussions on this site. You can do a search to get different views.

I wish not to get into a semantic discussion either. But if by the kingdom of heaven you also mean the kingdom of God, then this is what I believe from Scripture: The kingdom is now in its mystery state, to which the redeemed belong, but it shall be in its consummate state at the end of the ages (see Matt. 13).

18. charles_creech78

The ? is. The kingdom of Heaven is with in a Man.

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Take Route 3 north until you see the Arby's, then hang a right. Ample parking available.

20. charles_creech78

Lu 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for behold, the kingdom of God IS WITH IN YOU.