1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where is "worship" one of the purposes of the assembly?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PrimePower7, Jul 7, 2008.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I tell you what Bob,
    Why don't you conduct a true worship service this Sunday.
    Lead a few hymns. Open in prayer. Close in prayer. Then dismiss the meeting.
    Be sure that your hymns praise God, and that your prayers exalt the Lord.
    But no teaching or preaching because that doesn't fall under the realm of worship.
    OK?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You have summarily dismissed the lexicon, and the Greek uses of the word "Worship". While you have defined it correctly you have given it narrow application with no biblical reference.

When the church reaches out to that single mother who can't seem to make ends meet and provides a washing machine in the name of Christ, God is given sufficient adoration and praise. We give Him the credit, we direct our joy and thankfulness toward God as a result. Service is worship when done in that manner.

When a Christ centered message is delivered form the word of God as handed down from Him to His angel, God is most certainly lifted up, given adoration, peoples hearts are melted, changed, encouraged, and God is worshiped. Corporate worship is a biblical mandate.( Heb 10:25 ) All events that happen during the service are to be done with worship in mind. We are not to go to church to get something. For we cannot worship God and ourselves at the same time. Such worship is idolatrous. It is a focus on self rather than God. We should go to the worship service expecting to give God our praise, adoration, and thanks proclaiming His excellence, making known His majesty and declaring His glory. We are to give with no expectation of receiving anything in return. For a double minded man is unstable in all his ways. ( Ja 1:8 )

When God is lifted up and worshiped then the residual outcome is we ourselves are encouraged, but it is an encouragement found in Him. We are fed but it is a feeding founded in the Father. This godly and spirit lead worship gives us the freedom to worship God in spirit and truth with no need of self concern. (Matt 6:33)

You have yet to present biblical reference for worship being only a private singular moment. I have presented biblical reference for worship being a lifestyle rather than a single private event. In all that we do we are to worship God. I am quite sure we fail that from day to day but our hearts are to be unceasingly worshipful from moment to moment as I have shown through scripture. We are to have worshipful lives, not just worshipful moments. Truth is if we practiced this it would keep us from more error and more sin than anything else. It is a shame it is not often being preached from our pulpits. And what is being practiced in our Baptist churches on a regular basis has no bearing on the truth of scripture. And it is no wonder that out churches are filled with fighting and problems. True worship ( John 4:24 ) is ignored and people come to only get self fulfillment. And that is at the foundational level of greed and rebellion.

In the end you and I will have to agree to disagree. God Bless

#102 Revmitchell, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That may be your definition of a true worship service, but my bible teaches me different. More than that, the Spirit teaches me different.

We sing songs of praises to the Lord
    We have prayer
    We preach sermons, teaching the word and included in the sermon is praise to our King, for the many things He has bestowed upon us. Have you ever heard sermons that praises to God are included in them, such as "praise be to our King"?? It don't matter, when we are preaching the word, it is the word of our King, that is worship. How much greater praise could we give Him, than to go unto every nation preaching and teaching "Him".
    We sing more praises to the Lord with an announcement of "open church door", which is praises to our King for opening that door.
    We close with prayer, which is more praises to our King for leading us in the path of righteous.

But then again, what would you know about a true service when you don't go to church to "worship God". I was hoping for once you would not be so stubborn and learn something, but that does not seem to be.

BTW, the Pharasees followed the Lord for food also. They wanted the shew bread to fill their stomachs.

Peace,

BBob,

#103 Brother Bob, Jul 11, 2008
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I understand your point, but disagree.

Worship is not giving to God anything. You can't give Him worth, you can only recognize that He alone is worthy and respond in worship. The only way for you to recognize that He alone is worthy is if He reveals it to you.

When God reveals some truth about Himself to us, we respond with worship. We respond with, "Yes, that is truth". We respond with adoration, and thanksgiving, and praise. None of that is possible without God first revealing something about Himself to us.

peace to you:praying:

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We are commanded to Give thanks. If I can't give any thing how do I give him thanks.
    We are commanded to give him praise; to give him our tithes; to give him many things. Just look in Scripture.
    We also give him our worship. Certainly he doesn't need our love. But he commands us to give him our love, adoration, and obedience, not for His good, not because He needs it; but for our own good.

Worship is giving God His worth. That is what the meaning of the word means.
    It is: "worsh" + "shipe". And it translates into giving God worth.
    What is the difference between recognizing that He alone is worthy and giving him the worth that is due him. You are splitting hairs.
    He has revealed therefore there is no excuse. All men are without excuse (Romans 1:20, but they have rejected him anyway. His worth is declared in the creation all around us.
    "The Heavens declare the glory of God; the earth showeth forth his handiwork."

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

My simple challenge was put to you Bob:
    Show me in the Bible where a sermon or a message taught is actual worship.
    I don't believe it is. But if you can convince me from Scripture I might change my mind.

Worship is giving God his worth--Adoration due only Him
    Revmitchell accuses me of dismissing the meanings given in the Lexicon.

The truth is that I have used the definition that you gave me Bob. And it was you that took that meaning out of Strong's Lexicon. I have dismissed nothing.
    But I have used your definition, defining worship properly, and it does not include preaching and teaching.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Luk 2:20And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.

Luk 4:7If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

Luk 4:8And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Preaching and teaching is serving God. You are fighting a losing battle DHK.

Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls.

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

Act 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

This was the "church" working as a body.

Here it is, but you will not have it, you will come up with something that does not hold water again.

BBob

#107 Brother Bob, Jul 11, 2008
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

True worship, I agree. But where is the instruction and preaching. You are reading into a passage something that is not there. I don't see any sermons there Bob. Remember, that is my challenge to you: Show me in the Scriptures where the teaching and the preaching of God's word is considered "worship." It sure isn't here.
    He said worship, not teach! So what does that prove? Nothing.
    So far you have come up with zero, zilch, nada, when it comes to teaching and preaching. All you have quoted is verses that pertain to praise and worship.
    This was the first step in a long string of events.
    First they were saved. They heard the Word of God and were saved.
    Second they were baptized.
    Third they were added unto the church--local church at Jerusalem.
    --This is the Biblical pattern for membership in a local church. The next verses speak about discipleship.
    There is an order here, just as there is an order in your services, Bob. Not all of these things are done all at once, otherwise there would be utter chaos. God is a God of order, not confusion.
    First came doctrine, or teaching. There is nothing there to indicate that that is worship.
    Second came fellowship. We all enjoy fellowship with other believers. That isn't even worship.
    However, the breaking of bread and prayer is worship. Both involve the praise and adoration of God. See how it is broken up. Not everything they do is worship. One must rightly divide the word of truth.
    And so they were. But a miracle is not worshiping.
    How does sharing something with my brother or sister constitute worship?
    The breaking of bread, which I believe to be the Lord's Supper is indeed worship, or includes worship. But simply meeting together on a daily basis is not.
    Yes they praised God. That means they worshiped him. But from the other verses we know that they did many other things. Their full attention was not given to worship, which has been my point all along.
    Yes, every local church works as a body.
    I have answered every question with Scripture. I don't know what problem you would have.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brother Bob
    Luk 2:20And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.

True worship, I agree. But where is the instruction and preaching. You are reading into a passage something that is not there. I don't see any sermons there Bob. Remember, that is my challenge to you: Show me in the Scriptures where the teaching and the preaching of God's word is considered "worship." It sure isn't here.

Did they not testify what they had heard and seen about the Lord, Is that not teaching. Those who they told it too, did not know, until they taught them.

Quote:
    Luk 4:7If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.
    He said worship, not teach! So what does that prove? Nothing.

Quote:
    Luk 4:8And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Preaching and teaching is serving God. You are fighting a losing battle DHK.
    So far you have come up with zero, zilch, nada, when it comes to teaching and preaching. All you have quoted is verses that pertain to praise and worship.

Worship the Lord thy God and Him only shalt thou serve. You catch the word "serve" DHK, it is worship.

Quote:
    Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls.
    This was the first step in a long string of events.
    First they were saved. They heard the Word of God and were saved.
    Second they were baptized.
    Third they were added unto the church--local church at Jerusalem.
    --This is the Biblical pattern for membership in a local church. The next verses speak about discipleship.

Then what did they do as a group DHK, they worshipped and praised God.

Quote:
    Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
    There is an order here, just as there is an order in your services, Bob. Not all of these things are done all at once, otherwise there would be utter chaos. God is a God of order, not confusion.
    First came doctrine, or teaching. There is nothing there to indicate that that is worship.
    Second came fellowship. We all enjoy fellowship with other believers. That isn't even worship.
    However, the breaking of bread and prayer is worship. Both involve the praise and adoration of God. See how it is broken up. Not everything they do is worship. One must rightly divide the word of truth.

You do agree the "worship" is there though, don't you??? And in a group, no less.

Quote:
    Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
    And so they were. But a miracle is not worshiping.

Quote:
    How does sharing something with my brother or sister constitute worship?

Depends on what you are sharing. If its the word of the Lord and praise, that constitutes Worship DHK.

Quote:
    Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
    The breaking of bread, which I believe to be the Lord's Supper is indeed worship, or includes worship. But simply meeting together on a daily basis is not.

They were breaking the bread on a daily basis as a group DHK, that is Worship.

Quote:
    Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
    Yes they praised God. That means they worshiped him. But from the other verses we know that they did many other things. Their full attention was not given to worship, which has been my point all along.

So, the question is not if they do other things, did they come together to worship, and the answer is yes!!

Quote:
    This was the "church" working as a body.
    Yes, every local church works as a body.

Worshipping. You act like doing the Lord's work, is not worshipping Him. What are you doing it for then??

Quote:
    Here it is, but you will not have it, you will come up with something that does not hold water again.
    I have answered every question with Scripture. I don't know what problem you would have.

I never saw any scripture except the ones I gave. You posted the scripture that I gave. There may have been one, that I missed, not sure.

BBob,

#109 Brother Bob, Jul 11, 2008
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It doesn't matter what you believe Bob. Teaching is not worship. Worship is directed to God, and God alone. Teaching is directed to man. If you say that you are worshiping when you are teaching man then it is blasphemy, for it implies that you are worshiping (defined teachiing) men.
    Learn what worship is!! It is always God-oriented.

You can add as many verbs to that statement as you will and it won't change the meaning any.
    Worship the Lord thy God and him only thou shalt "serve" and "follow" and "obey" and "eat with" and "fellowship with," and, and, and.....
    Worship is worship. It is giving God his due worth--the adoration that is due only to Him. The serve at the end of the sentence has nothing to do with the main verb "worship" at the beginning of the sentence. The sentence is a compound sentence with two subjects and two verbs.

11. standingfirminChrist

Psalms 134:1-2 <<A Song of degrees.>> Behold, bless ye the LORD, all ye servants of the LORD, which by night stand in the house of the LORD. Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD.

This passage clearly shows that one is to worship in the Sanctuary. I believe it is just one of the purposes for the assembling of the believers. Anther purpose:

For the hearing of the Word of God...

Nehemiah 8:4-6 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam. And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people;) and when he opened it, all the people stood up: And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

Truly a picture of an assembly hearing the Word and then in response, worshipping the Lord.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

#112 Brother Bob, Jul 11, 2008
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is this your practice in your church SFIC? Not just responsive reading, but bowing your heads and worshiping the Lord after the Word is read. Read carefully the text. Is this what you practice?

14. standingfirminChrist

DHK,

There is more than one way to worship the Lord. This was their way of worship... this much is clear.

Notice Nehemiah did not say the actual bowing of the heads was worshipping, only that while their heads were bowed, they worshipped.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am not debating that point. What is your point SFIC?
    We see how the Jews worship, at least one of the ways they worshiped?
    Does your church follow the same pattern?
    If not, why the red herring?

16. standingfirminChrist

Not a red herring at all, DHK. The title of the thread is Where is "worship" one of the purposes of the assembly?

I showed that one of the purposes of the assembly was worship and gave Scripture to show thus from Nehemiah and also from Psalms.

How do we worship? I have yet to see the assembly as a whole to raise their hands together as a form of worship, but myself and others do when we feel the Lord has blessed us.

Every one does indeed bow their heads. Now, whether they do that with the intent of worship, I know not. Many times I do worship the Lord with my head bowed.

I hope this clarifies my previous posts in this thread.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are not being completely honest are you? I will put the entire OP in bold for you:

Now look, I am not looking for prooftexts in the Psalms. I am asking a straightforward question in response to the statement "One of the reasons I go to church is to worship".

Where in the NT does it speak of "worship" as being one of the purposes of the church?

In the context of the OP he quoted the statement "One of the reasons I go to church is to worship."
    Then he said:
    Where in the NT does it speak of "worship" as being one of the purposes of the church? In context he was wanting an answer to the first question, or statement, a statement that someone had said to him--"I go to church to worship."

Is that the primary purpose of going to church these days? That is how I read the purpose and intent of the OP?

When I made almost the exact same statement:
    "The reason I go to church is to hear the Word of God."
    Bro. Bob vehemently attacks me, and does not see that I do not deny, by saying that statement, that there is worship in the church. I don't deny that fact. The primary reason of going to church is to be taught. That is not worship. There may be worship in singing and in praying, but most of the service is taken up with the preaching of the Word, which is not worship.
    The OP specifically said not to use Psalms. He didn't want OT scriptures like the ones that you gave.
    Raising hands is not worship. You can do what you want with your hands, feet, ears, toes, etc. I don't care. What has that got to do with worship?

Worship is giving God "worth" that is due only to Him--the adoration that only God deserves. It has nothing to do with my hands.
    It has everything to do with a vertical relationship with God, particularly as it comes from me in my praise and adoration of Him.
    The actual position of the body is not that important. It is what is said with the heart. Not everything is worship.
    Worship is giving God adoration and glory; giving him the worth, the adoration that only he deserves.

18. standingfirminChrist

Well, in all fairness he did ask for NT passages only.

But that does not mean I was being dishonest. The title asked a question. I answered the question as posed by the title.

No dishonesty on my part at all.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

A little "backsliding here" seems to me.
    DHK; Furthermore, I said that worship is not primarily in a church building.
    I said that I don't go to church to worship;

Hbr 12:23To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

BBob,

#119 Brother Bob, Jul 11, 2008
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You honestly can't understand that there is no contradiction in these statements Bob?