1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where was ADAM when EVE was deceived?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Feb 6, 2005.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

2. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread sounds somewhat Clintonian. "Depends what the meaning of 'with' is."
    As some have pointed out, the verse does not say that Adam was there during the conversation with the serpent, or even when Eve ate, but just that he was with her(obviously) when she gave it to him.
    No, it doesn't say he wasn't there earlier either, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that he would have been. It's one thing for him to choose her over God by deliberately rebelling after she had been deceived, but quite another to believe that he stood there and watched her be deceived and eat it.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I think it was Adam's bowling night.
    Seriously, I agree with ccrobinson. I have preached several times that I believe Adam willfully chose Eve over God. I base this on the I Tim 2:14 verse and on Gen 3:17.
    I believe that Eve was deceived and ate the fruit believing what Satan had told her; that she would become like God (Gen 3:5). Then, I believe that then she took the fruit to Adam and told her husband what had happened. Gen 3:7 says that their eyes were both opened, but I see nothing that proves her eyes were not opened as soon as she ate, I believe they were. I think she knew she had sinned and ran to her husband and told him everything that had happened. Then I believe Adam, because he loved Eve, and was unwilling to let her stand before God alone, willingly, knowingly took of the fruit and joined her.

It says a lot about Adam's love for Eve and you know, Jesus did the same thing. Although he did not sin, he became one of us, was counted among the wicked and endured the wrath of God so that we could be saved and join him for all eternaty. (I think there is a sermon in there somewhere)

I realize that this is not explicitly clear, but it is what I believe and I think consistent with what we are told in Scripture.

It is interesting that the condemnation of sin does not come to us through Eve, but through Adam.

Rom 5:12
    I Cor 15:22

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

O.K., I did a little word study as dianetavegia had suggested.

The phrase
    Is made up of only four words in Hebrew. [Strongs # 05414, 01571, 0376, and 0398] Without additions for grammar it could be literally translated, "gave also to her husband to eat." The words "with her" are not specifically there in the Hebrew.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Is made up of only four words in Hebrew. [Strongs # 05414, 01571, 0376, and 0398] Without additions for grammar it could be literally translated, "gave also to her husband to eat." The words "with her" are not specifically there in the Hebrew. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks N.C. Tentmaker!

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well the thing that gets me if Adam wasn't there (and someone previousy mentioned this) Why didn't Eve realise that she was naked right after she ate the fruit? Why does it say their eyes were opened and they say that they were naked...this was mentioned only after Adam had eaten? He had to surely be some where really close? Because it also says he wasn't decived... so did he choose to sin? :eek:

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Maybe she didn't look down.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, Brother Tentmaker...

No offense, but where is that in the Bible?

Adam martyred himself? He didn't want her to die alone, so he sacrificed his relationship with God willingly for her?

That's a very romantic story, but it just doesn't ring true to me.

I see it more like she came to him and said something like, "Adam! Look! I ate from the tree that God said not too and I didn't die. The serpent told me the truth about it. We won't really die and we'll be wise, just like God is. Here...eat some with me. We'll be just like God! We'll be just like God!"

Eve was deceived, tricked into believing a lie.

Adam was not deceived. He instead fell for the old masculine temptation that still pulls men into sin today....power...authority...self-rule.

He wanted it to be like she said. It was too good to be true and he openly rebelled against God.

Very unromantically. Very sinfully. Both of them. Each fell from grace for different reasons. Each receiving different punishments.

Neither one of them had the other's best interests at heart. Neither one of them sacrificed themselves for the other.

They both, selfishly and without any love for the other at all, fell into a state of separation from God.

There was NO love for Eve in Adam's decision to sin. And there was NO love for Adam in Eve's foolish actions.

There was, on both their parts, only the love of self.

My humble opinion, only.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think assumptions need to be based on scripture, not opinion. Otherwise opinion is placed on the level of scripture as if it were the very word of God and not man's opinion.

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

women questioning a man's interpretation??? Hmm, seems like that's a no-no from what I have read in another forum. [​IMG]

Scripture is scripture. Believe it or don't.

11. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Dianne~ you do bring up a good observation there.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. North Carolina Tentmaker

Hey, the Bible does not give us all the details. Some is left to our own assumptions and imaginations. What I believe is consistent with scripture and sounds right to me, what Scarlett believes is also consistent with scripture and rings true to her. Of course both can't be true but neither is contradicted by the Bible.

I think the differences probably have more to do with the way we feel about our fellow men and women then what we believe about scripture. I realize I am hopelessly optimistic and romantic and trust people far too often. By the way Scarlett, my wife would agree with you. God has blessed me with a very skeptical wife who balances me very well.