1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where was Adam

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where was Adam when Eve ate of the Fruit?

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:
    Implied, IMHO, in Genesis 3,is that he was right there with her, but since it doesn't specify specifically, it's anybody's guess.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to think he was there with her myself.
    So was this the first instanced of a henpecked husband?

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I've always been curious as to just how long Adam and Eve lived in the Garden in a peaceful, perfect existence before the serpent got to them...

I've read differing opinions saying anywhere from just a few days/weeks to years or even centuries, as they had no reason to count time, seeing as they were not aging or dying.

I fall more into the middle camp, but that's based purely on speculation. The Bible is silent on how long they were there. And seeing as the Bible sometimes covers a decade in a single verse, there's no true accounting of their time in the Garden.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider this - barring divine intervention, how long do you assume it would have taken Eve to get pregnant the first time??
    Remember that all the children had the sin nature, ergo they were born after the fall.
    I dare say that if Adam were a typical male, actions that produce offspring were pretty frequent, so the time from creation to the fall --- kicked out of Eden --- would have been extremely short.
    My guesstimation is from a couple of days to, at MOST, a couple of weeks.
    Certainly nothing to verify such, but just adding 2+2 & coming up with 3.9 to 4.3.:thumbs:

6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is an interesting question. We know the following things.

1. No sin existent in God's creation the first seven days or God could not possibly look upon "ALL" that he created and pronounce "very good."

2. We have no reason to doubt that nine months had to occur from conception to birth and so at minimum the first child was not born until nine months and six days if conception occurred on the first day Adam and Eve were created. However, it is unlikely that conception occurred on the first day because Adam was quite busy having all the animals come to him to be named by him and it is in this process of seeing males and females that the need of a mate for Adam entered into this picture.

3. We know that Seth was born when Adam was 130 years of age - Gen. 5:3

Therefore, since death is passed down from Adam to his posterity, the fall had to occur some time after the seventh day but before the conception of Cain in the womb and long before Seth was born as both Cain and Abel were fully grown men before Abel was killed and Seth took his place.

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I would say it's safe to assume far more children were born to Adam and Eve, otherwise the population of the Earth would've suffered greatly. Cain and Abel were mentioned as part of the illustration of a point. Seth was part of the lineage of the Patriarchs, leading to Christ.

We can't assume them to be the only ones born, obviously, because not even the Bible assumes that. There's honestly no accounting of how many daughters were born to Adam and Eve between Cain and Abel and the birth of Seth. Nor do we know how long the body was capable of reproduction under the longer lifespans of the antediluvian patriarchs. If it matched current human biology, then they theoretically could have children into their 500s or 600s.

But we're going a little off OP at this point...

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, if Mark Twain is right in his book, Eve's Diary he was still up in a tree hiding as he was afraid of this new creature.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: !!!!!!

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Certainly daughters were born but the way the birth of Cain is described it would appear that he was the literal firstborn of Adam and Eve.

11. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I agree. The Bible tends heavily toward male primogeniture, which leads me to the belief that Cain was first born and Abel second, in the male line with unknown daughters between them. With Abel dead and Cain essentially disowned and driven out by God, the birth of Seth set him up as the male heir in line after Adam.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seth begins the godly seed line.

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

14. The Biblicist