1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where was Jesus during the 3 days after he was crucified?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

God did not die, period. Jesus died with His fleshly body, but commended His Spirit to the Father. The God part of Him did not die. This world has never been without God!

BBob,

2. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Are you suggesting that there was a time when Jesus was only a human and not God? A time when in His person He only had the nature of man and not the nature of God?

Are you familiar with the concept of the hypostatic union?

3. larryjf

larryjf New Member

God dying is an interesting question.

Can God die?...no.
    Can man die?...yes.
    Is Jesus God-man?...yes.

Both the divine nature and the human nature are joined together in a hypostatic union that can't be severed. And, while these to natures do not mix, they do communicate attributes to each other.

Since the person of Christ died, and the nature of God is part of that person, in some sense death was communicated to the nature of God. However, it would not be in the same sense that Christ's human nature experienced death. So God can't strictly experience death, but does experience it as the human nature of Christ communicates it to the divine.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    larryjf'
    "Can God die?...no."

Who says so? Larryjf?

If not God paid for my sins my sins aren't paid for!

"The Crucified God"? The God who died? AND JUST WHY, NOT?

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God is one, says the infidel; God is One, says the Christian. The infidel will not accept defeat before God; the Christian pleads defeat before God! Defeat, first of all in our understanding of Him.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Was Jesus "Glorified" when He died?

Is God Glorified?

They are Three, but yet they are One. Beyond the human mind to comphrehend completely. So is His death.

Because God has no beginning or no end!
    Who hath known the mind of God and who hath been His councelor.

It was God the son, who hung on the cross and suffered the death, but did God go in the tomb? You tear this "temple" down and in three days, I will raise it again. If the same Spirit be in you that raised Christ from the dead, it will "also" quicken your "mortal body." I think it is a much greater question than we surmise.

Luk 23:43And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

He gave His "body, He gave His blood", did He give His "Godhead"?

BBob,

#46 Brother Bob, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus "in all of His glory" says in Rev 1

17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "" Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last,
    18 and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades

In Heb 2 we find that Christ tasted the sufferings of death for every man (KJV) and having done that He cried out "it is finished" and commended His Spirit INTO the Father's hands (no going to hell after dying).

So Christ paid the second death sufferings owed by all mankind for each and every sin PRIOR to saying "IT is finished".

And that is when He cried out "My God My God why have you forsaken Me".

As Christ was no longer sitting on the throne of the Universe while walking as a carpenter on Earth - So Christ was not ruling the Universe while confining Himself to the tomb. Christ declares that He died - and scripture points out that he sufferred the suffering/torment owed by all sinners for each sin. This we know. How "much God-life" was doing something while confining Himself to the tomb - we do not know.

Yet Christ said "I have power to lay down my Life and I have power to take it up" for as God "He had LIFE within himself" as does the Father -- unlike all created life that must depend upon God for life -- it does not have life "of itself".

in Christ,

Bob

#47 BobRyan, Jan 2, 2008
  8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He still had some power didn't He?

Just a man does not have any power when death comes, only God.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Brother Bob

"... did God go in the tomb? You tear this "temple" down and in three days, I will raise it again. ..."

GE

It is good you used question marks. As Jesus spoke these words, 'what' was He? Did He speak of Himself as the very same 'torn down'?

I always confess when confronted with such 'surmisings'. It cost God, Himself, to save me; not even a perfect man can save another; only He Who made me, saved me. God gave HIS OWN LIFE for the forgiveness of sins. God died so that sinners might live. How to explain God's doings, I cannot; not even do I know how to understand it - what explain. I can only believe it and confess it ... and cannot and will not believe or confess, so help me God, anything else or less.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Brother Bob,
    "He still had some power didn't He?

Just a man does not have any power when death comes, only God."

GE

Jesus said: "I have the POWER TO LAY DOWN MY LIFE, and I have POWER TO TAKE UP MY LIFE." Christ laid down His Life in DIVINE Power - the exact very same POWER whereby He took up again His Life. ONLY GOD can GIVE Life - ONLY GOD can lay down LIFE - HIS, OWN, LIFE. That availed redemption and salvation - not an ounce of lighter weight of worth. God so loved He gave His only begotten Son - The Father gave His Life as verily as did the Son.

No! No! No! I do NOT understand it! If I did, it would have been not GOD, who saves --- but only someone less who FAILED to save!

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have POWER TO TAKE UP MY LIFE." This part had to still be alive, seems to me. (The Power)
    He suffered death, as we know death, no doubt about that, but I can't find where the tomb gave us eternal life. He took a body of flesh, for the suffering of death, but at that very point what happened?

How could that Godly Power have died, if He was going to restore the temple??

The reason I am even debating this, is because some people say that God is dead. I do not believe God is dead now or then. I don't know how to explain it either, I just know that Jesus told the theif that this day (while He was in the tomb) thou shalt be with me (God) in paradise. He did not tell the theif "this day thou shalt be with me (God) in the tomb.

If you figure it out let me know.

BBob, :praying:

#51 Brother Bob, Jan 2, 2008
  12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He was alive and was dead and behold, He is alive forever more.

Rev 1:18I [am] he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

But yet He was in Paradise that same day He died.

Some things are beyond our puny minds. Some believe Jesus went to the center of the earth, some to hell, some to Heaven. Some to paradise, whereever that is.

His body was dead, we know that for sure by faith. His Spirit was with God, we know that for sure, by faith. I ran a google search and there is not end to what people believe about where Jesus was the 3 days His body was in the tomb.

BBob,

#52 Brother Bob, Jan 2, 2008
  13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All true.

When it comes to vast infinite topics I find it helpful to "identify the boundaries" beyond which we can not even "speculate".

That is far different from saying "I know exactly what DID happen in that grave".

in Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well we know he tasted the sufferings of death for every man (Heb 2) and that this ended just before He did "IT is Finished!"

But what actually happened while he was confined to the tomb (likely God the Son "willed" to confine Himself to that tomb) such that when He arose he said to Mary "do not touch me - I have not yet ascended"

Agreed - God survives the event in some way - but us poor mortals may not have "all the details".

That part is solved.

In Luke 23

"Lord remember me WHEN you COME into your kingdom"

Christ responds

"Truly I say to you today you SHALL be with Me in PARADISE".

Nothing there about "be with me today in paradise" for even Christ Himself had not gone there by the time of the resurrection "DO not touch Me for I have not YET ascended"

in Christ,

Bob

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hold it!

How about a verse or two that supports this?

This view is pretty far removed from any orthodox view of God, it seems to me, when one says that God, the Father gave His life, as did the Son. What about God, the Holy Spirit? God is one in essence, while being manifested in three persons. However, the difference between the persons is yet real.

I agree with these words found in the Athanasian Creed, in this.
    Amen! and Amen! That is the Biblical and orthodox view of the Triune God.

Ed

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton,
    "Hold it!

How about a verse or two that supports this? "

GE
    I have no written letter from the Scriptures, I admit. If you had a son - and only humanly speaking - would he not be your life? How much more for the Father, that He "gave his only begotten Son"? Jesus shod His blood - HE, WAS, GOD, shedding His own blood, giving His own LIFE, and while Christ was doing nothing less than that, The Father GAVE His Life, THROUGH the SON. Al right - I have nos Scripture yet I have all the Scriptures -- so I BELIEVE. I cannot see myself believing anyone but GOD, able to pay for sins and redeem from sin's reward; I just cannot. If this must count against me the judgement, I am fully convinced of my salvation therefore.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

And let me lift my voice with yours in glory to this our God!

And let me further confess, that for not a single moment of His Eternal Existence this Christ we adore and worship, was less than here declared in Athanasius' Confession. With the Church of all time I Confess with him and you, This Jesus Christ our Lord, Saviour and GOD.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Truthfully, I didn't realize how deep of a subject I was getting into, until I has posted a few statements. I agree with Bob Ryan that some things are just beyond our ability to put into words. I know He did die for our sins, I also know He was God the son.

I think that is about all I know.... and that is by faith...........:)

BBob,

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That "creative doctrinal" view is exactly what the RCC uses to argue that Mary is "co-redeemer" along with Christ.

I have been rejecting that method for a long time.

in Christ

Bob

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The point is "The Father did not give His life."
    Scripture never says anything remotely resembling this, that I'm aware.

"The Son did give His life."
    Scripture does expressly declares this.

[BTW, "the Father", per se, did not "give His only begotten Son"; rather Scripture (and the Lord Jesus, himself) states that "God" did this! (John 3:16)]

Yes, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are each and every one fully, individually and completely God. And in Jesus, dwelt all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, as well. But there are still three distinct persons, and those personalities were not confuted before the cross, nor at the cross. Nor are they to be confuted, now.

Jesus did not say, "I'm leaving now," when He was hanging on the cross; What He did say was, "Father, into Your hands, I dismiss My spirit."

I certainly do not profess to understand all this, by any stretch of the imagination. But I just as certainly do believe it, for Scripture declares it.

With all respect, IMO, what you are suggesting here is a bit convoluted, Scripturally, and, in various places, skates dangerously near the time-tested and rejected heresies of Arianism and Sabellianism.

And despite what you say, the position you are here suggesting has no backing at all from Scripture, and I will basically agree with Bob Ryan, here, in that I call this "creative eisegesis", at best. It certainly is not "Biblical exegesis".

Ed

#60 EdSutton, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008