1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where was Jesus ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jeben, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

This terminology was used in the Apostles Creed before the Nicene Creed was written. I’m not sure what the scriveners had in mind but a modern version of the Apostles Creed says: “He descended to the dead.” This still leaves open the question of where were the dead and which of the dead did He descend to.

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Excellent, Webdog! Excellent! :thumbs:

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Lifting up his eyes doesn't mean he was resurrected.

4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Well Mr. I use scripture in all my posts, let's see what scripture says on this subject.

Luke 16:23 - And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments...

You said he was being resurrected from hades and was going to be cast into gehenna into flames. Problem was, when he lift up his eyes in hell, he was already in torments, already in the flames. I like to really study and use scripture too.

By the way, lifting up one's eyes does not equal being resurrected. You've made a leap you have no ground to make.

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He decended to the place of the dead.

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 9:40 But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning [him] to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up.

Just when do you think life went back into Tabitha?
    Let's say the resurrection is today and Abel who has been dead for five thousand years. Why would Abel need to be resurrected. Maybe you believe the same as asterisktom? I don't know. I believe there is yet a resurrection from death.

lifted up his eyes, dip his finger, cool my tongue? body parts of spirits?

7. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I believe in the resurrection of the dead. I just don't believe that lifting up one's eyes equals resurrection. Tabitha opened up her eyes because she had been resurrected, but that does not mean that lifting up one's eyes points to a person being resurrected. There is no mention of Jairus' daughter's eyes or Lazarus' eyes. Also, there are times when we are commanded, and people in scripture are commanded, to lift up our eyes and look up yet it has no connection to resurrection.

Now, as far as having eyes and a tongue in hell, I don't have much explanation there. The reason is, we aren't given much information about heaven and hell and what people are like once they die and go to one of those two places. Apparently it is not vaporville, but what is it like to be without a body? I don't know, and nobody on this side does.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Matt. 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

9. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I'm talking about between now and the resurrection when both body and soul (of the wicked) shall be cast into hell.

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you all get time tell be why in Revelation 20:13 the dead are raised.
    Is there anything different after they go through the second death than what they were going through before death and hell giving them up? By the way just who is cast into the lake of fire?

Death and hell (hades) give up the dead that are in them. Is this the same hades the rich man was in? Is this the same hades that David and Peter said that Jesus's soul would not be left in?

Five questions looking for five answers.

Do the unsaved go to gehennah when they die or after the judgement?