1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where was Timothy's Father?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Nov 10, 2008.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

We are told about the faith of Timothy's grandmother and mother(beginning of II Timother), but are we told anything about his father?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

His father was a Greek. (Acts 16:1) His mother and grandmother were Jews. He learned the scriptures from them.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 16:1 Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:

Timothy's mother had done the unthinkable, and had married a Gentile, an unsaved Greek. Yet, with the help of her mother she was able to raise Timothy in a Godly manner. Paul took him and discipled him.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Was it unthinkable because she was Jewish initially or because she was christian? If she was Christian did she marry before or after her conversion? It may not be so unthinkable. And since we are talking about the ancient world did she have a choice?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It was unhinkable because:
    1. The Jews were commanded not to marry outside of their own nation.
    2. Christians were commanded to "only marry in the Lord." And "be not unequally yoked together." This truth would have carried over from Judaism if she hadn't known it already.
    3. Yes she had a choice. We always have choices, the ancient world notwithstanding.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    there is a lot of assumptions in your reply.

1. Yes that is true but there is a diaspora and Hellinized Jews may not have taught this in her community.
    2. Christians are commanded to "not be unevenly yoked" but was she a christian when she married?
    3. Was she free or slave? was she purchased or promised at a young age?

7. menageriekeeper

Thanks DHK. I knew we were told that somewhere, but I couldn't find it this morning when I needed it.

My next question was going to be what Thinkingstuff has asked, so I'd be pleased if'n you'd answer those questions too. Especially the last ones about whether or not a woman had much choice in her marriage in a time when many marriage were arranged.

And why do you think that "Greek" in this case means he couldn't have been a proseltized Jew (I know I didn't spell that right). And do you think the use of the word means he followed Greek/Roman gods? I have to agree the context seems to imply that Timothy's father had little to do with his religious upbringing.

Are we told anything else about the man anywhere else?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

If Timothy was an adult, and he was, we assume, then his mother might not have been a christian when she married, the time line would have trouble otherwise it seems, but maybe thats just me. How many years has it been since the crucifixion at this point?
    If her parents were jews I tdon't think they would promise their daughter in marriage to a greek would they, unless it was a money issue, but then they'd have to know they were being disobedient.
    I think greek means anyone not jewish, who or what he worshipped we aren't really told, comparing it agaisnt his mother being chirsitan would suggest to me he did not worhip the God of the bible.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 16:1 Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:
    The Jews were not allowed to marry outside their own nation. There was no special dispesation made for this sin.

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You do know there were Helenized Jews in Turkey at that time?

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As it says in Acts 16:1, she was a Jewess, which believed.

2 Timothy 3:14-15 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
    15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Timothy was taught the Scriptures from early childhood. They (the Scriptures) were able to make him wise unto salvation. He was probably saved earlier in life. (As a young man it would be early for him, though not a long time ago.)

2 Timothy 1:5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
    --His father is not saved, and is out of this picture.
    It was his grandmother Lois, and his mother Eunice that raised Timothy. Paul recalls their "unfeigned faith" that first dwelt in them, and now he believes dwells in him as well. In spite of the husband, Timothy was raised in a Godly home, and was taught the Scriptures well.

In spite of her mistake, God forgives sin, and she did well in raising her son.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A Jew is a Jew is a Jew.
    There are Jews in Canada. They keep their faith.
    Are they Canadianized Jews???

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Common DHK, The Palestinian Jews did not look at Hellinized Jews the same way nor did the Hellenized Jews practice Judaism the same way. They differed. So a Jew is not a Jew is a Jew. Even today you have Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed. All Jews. And to Make it worse in the time of Christ you had several schools of thought like Pharasee or Saducee or Essene or Hillel. Etc....

14. menageriekeeper

This is what I wanted to hear from someone else's mouth as it confirms what I believe as well.

Matter of fact, I told someone this and then when I couldn't find all the scriptures, I began to second guess myself. Glad to know I wasn't off base.